Naturally Aspirated Performance Forum Discussion of naturally-aspirated rotary performance. No Power Adders, only pure rotary power! From the "12A" to the "RENESIS" and beyond.

Make that 230rwhp streetport 13bre n/a

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 01:14 AM
Collections Hold

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make that 230rwhp streetport 13bre n/a

So I got a little bit of time today, and did some more pulls on the little first gen again.
Its been such a good car, fires up even when it got down to -10 over here in ohio, and drives through a blizzard. Gets beat on everyday, countless pulls on the dyno. What more can I ask for. Anyway, how did we go from 216rwhp to 230rwhp? Details!

1) I shortened up the intake manifold 2" on the lower half. Just like we do to our 20b conversions.
2) Shortened up the primary header length as needed
3) Re-tune fuel and timing map as needed
4) Stir on the dyno

We are definitely excited with the results. Granted as always there is still more to be gained. But I dont see a need as of now. This is my daily driver, so no customer is going to keep me from posting a nice number. Its free for all to see and hopefully enjoy as much as we did!

What now? Well I want to post videos of big smokey burnouts, down low drivability, and of course full throttle fun through all the gears!

Good news for anyone wanting this power-
a) We will be making a header for sale within the next few weeks. It will be full 321 stainless.
b) It can come with the identical port template this engine has in it. The circuit port.

Questions you may have about this header-
Is it a long primary or short primary system? Neither! I would call it a medium primary.
Its cool that it works on your engine, but what if we have a different port design, or intake length? Our header will be the first that is..... adjustable! It will come with slip fit primary tubes so tuning can be done on the dyno very fast to find your specific needs. We tested and tested some more, so almost all intake lengths can be optimized!

So.....Here is the dyno chart.

Name:  230rwhp13brena.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  57.2 KB
Old 02-06-09, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow nicely done fella. Thats alot of grunt for a street port. You may have mentioned this on the other thread but did you have the rotor assemebly balanced?
Old 02-06-09, 08:56 AM
Slow

Very nice. I can't wait for videos.

Where abouts did you end up as far as header length to the collector? (I understand this doesn't mean much without knowing more about the ports, etc. but I would still like to have an idea)
Old 02-06-09, 09:35 AM

that is great work man very impresive.... makes me half consider not doing a pp setup.
Old 02-06-09, 02:27 PM

Can we take a peek at those headers??
Old 02-06-09, 02:31 PM
Rotors still spinning

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
It should be noted that without his exact tuning, his exact headers won't give you the same results. Why? Speed of sound! As an example, if car A has exhaust temps at 1600 degrees and car B has 1400 degree exhaust temps, with the same length headers their exhaust tuning will be almost 900 rpm different!!!

Now saying that, a good design is a good design and seeing a good design come out is definitely not bad by any means. I just hope no one thinks that trying to copy is going to give them the exact same results. You may get close which in the end may be good enough.
Old 02-06-09, 03:21 PM
Slow

I'm just looking for a rough estimate. I want to see the difference between a properly built stock port header and this one built for a streetport and higher RPM, since it's never really discussed and I don't have the resources to find out on my own. I understand the variables and wouldn't expect the length to work on any motor other than this one.
Old 02-06-09, 03:41 PM
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by McCarthy
Wow nicely done fella. Thats alot of grunt for a street port. You may have mentioned this on the other thread but did you have the rotor assemebly balanced?
Thank you! And yes the assembly was fully balanced

Originally Posted by drewski86
Very nice. I can't wait for videos.

Where abouts did you end up as far as header length to the collector? (I understand this doesn't mean much without knowing more about the ports, etc. but I would still like to have an idea)
Thanks! They are 50" on this setup. The production header will have adjustable length + and - over 14 inches. Still may not be perfectly optimal, but it will be a good amount better than anything else on the market to buy off the shelf.

Originally Posted by Rotor Connection
Can we take a peek at those headers??
I could post a photo of the headers on my car, but they are very backyard with lots of cuts and welds that wont be in the header we will sell. Just a few more weeks I will post photos of the production header It will be so much nicer.
Old 02-06-09, 03:44 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Loving that torque curve!
Old 02-06-09, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by GtoRx7

I could post a photo of the headers on my car, but they are very backyard with lots of cuts and welds that wont be in the header we will sell. Just a few more weeks I will post photos of the production header It will be so much nicer.
I give more importance to function than esthetics... They already rock on my book
Old 02-06-09, 04:57 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Received 414 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Shainiac
Loving that torque curve!

I'd like to see what it does over 8500... if you can shape the torque curve so there is a "hump" just below your shift-to point, the engine generally will recover from shifting faster and it will accelerate like nobody's business.

Looks like the "hump" is about 7500rpm... so shift at 10k+?

On the other hand 150ft-lb at the wheels is still way nothing to sneeze at! And it's doing 120ft-lb after the shiftpoint.
Old 02-06-09, 05:09 PM
The Shadetree Project

Thank you! And yes the assembly was fully balanced

Thanks! They are 50" on this setup. The production header will have adjustable length + and - over 14 inches. Still may not be perfectly optimal, but it will be a good amount better than anything else on the market to buy off the shelf.

Backyard? You realize we're 7 owners and everything we do is backyard... I'd love pix!
Old 02-06-09, 07:43 PM
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by peejay
I'd like to see what it does over 8500... if you can shape the torque curve so there is a "hump" just below your shift-to point, the engine generally will recover from shifting faster and it will accelerate like nobody's business.

Looks like the "hump" is about 7500rpm... so shift at 10k+?

On the other hand 150ft-lb at the wheels is still way nothing to sneeze at! And it's doing 120ft-lb after the shiftpoint.
Over 8500? Its going to 8900 on the dyno chart. It will make solid power to about 9400rpms, but I dont have any hardened stationary gears, and just FC bearings with a FC shaft in there. Not to mention the stock apex seals. Some ceramics and stat gears she would be ready to rock out! But I was trying to show what a very low budget 13b na is able to do. Shifting at 8900 going down to 120rwtq at 5000???? What tranny are you used to Peejay?? lol. It drops to 6500 on a 8900 rpm shift.

Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k
Backyard? You realize we're 7 owners and everything we do is backyard... I'd love pix!
Haha yeah backyard is good, but I like everything looking really good for our company.
Old 02-07-09, 08:00 AM
B O R I C U A

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Looking good

What ECU are you using?
Old 02-07-09, 10:46 AM
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by KNONFS
Looking good

What ECU are you using?
Thanks, Electromotive Tec3R
Old 02-07-09, 11:32 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the numbers, good job. Real test is at the track. Let see some 1/4 mile numbers.
Old 02-07-09, 12:40 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are some awesome numbers. I really like seeing how much torque it makes across the board. Well done.
Old 02-07-09, 03:23 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

That's crazy power all motor. How is the noise level? It's a 4 port block right?
Old 02-07-09, 03:41 PM
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by solareon
That's crazy power all motor. How is the noise level? It's a 4 port block right?
Its very quite great for daily driving. I listen to my radio all the time and can actually have a conversation with the wife in the car Yes it is a 4 port.
Old 02-07-09, 07:08 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Shifting at 8900 going down to 120rwtq at 5000???? What tranny are you used to Peejay?? lol. It drops to 6500 on a 8900 rpm shift.
A standard 1st-gen trans has a ~3.62 First and 2.12 2nd. (Going from memory, may be off a hair)

8900 / 3.62, times 2.12, is 5200rpm. So, 5000rpm is important with a stock trans, unless you're geared so short that you get to shift 3-4 a lot (or simply drive that fast, which some people do I guess )

My quandary is even worse... it's even worse on dirt because you're not actually going that fast when you shift because of tire spin, but the tires stop spinning when you shift, and the engine bogs down at 4000rpm or worse... this is why I am thinking a torque curve that tapers off at the top end is good, even if it means losing peak HP. (It's also why I have flat shift... that and I like scaring corner workers )

On the other hand, Autotech offers close ratio gearsets for about $3k now...
Old 02-07-09, 08:15 PM
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by peejay
A standard 1st-gen trans has a ~3.62 First and 2.12 2nd. (Going from memory, may be off a hair)

8900 / 3.62, times 2.12, is 5200rpm. So, 5000rpm is important with a stock trans, unless you're geared so short that you get to shift 3-4 a lot (or simply drive that fast, which some people do I guess )

My quandary is even worse... it's even worse on dirt because you're not actually going that fast when you shift because of tire spin, but the tires stop spinning when you shift, and the engine bogs down at 4000rpm or worse... this is why I am thinking a torque curve that tapers off at the top end is good, even if it means losing peak HP. (It's also why I have flat shift... that and I like scaring corner workers )

On the other hand, Autotech offers close ratio gearsets for about $3k now...
Yeah you are right about the 1st to 2nd, from memory it didnt fall down that much. 2nd to 3rd is better falling to 6,150 and 3rd to 4th is 6,400. (This car is using a JDM turbo II tranny.) So I stand corrected. Sorry Peejay!
Old 02-07-09, 09:25 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

No worries... an engine's gotta be tuned for its intended purpose, including the intended gears that will be used. I've noticed too that the stock tach never seems to drop down quickly enough to make the RPM drop look as severe as the math makes it. Shows right up with a high quality tach, though.

For course work or (ahem) driving on the highway, it looks pretty sweet.
Old 02-08-09, 10:29 AM
Rotor Head Extreme

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
They are 50" on this setup. The production header will have adjustable length + and - over 14 inches.

Quick question? + or - 14" equalls 36" or 64". Does your hp go up with the shorter header or with the longer one? I ask because my 20b headers happen to be 36".
Old 02-08-09, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When will you post videos of the car? Also how much does the car weigh. Do you think the car has enough to make it in the 12s in the 1/4.
Old 02-08-09, 03:06 PM
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by t-von
Quick question? + or - 14" equalls 36" or 64". Does your hp go up with the shorter header or with the longer one? I ask because my 20b headers happen to be 36".
It may go down or up with a shorter header. And it may go up or down with a longer header. Pretty much there is a range to be in, once you are in the length range the tuning with 1-2 inch increments begins. Our header is in a range nobody has ever talked about before, at least to me. It all depends on the length of your intake manifold, and port size shape, and timing with afr. A three rotor is a real pain to tune the headers because of 3 runners. I will say the adjustable header will be offered for a 3 rotor from us shortly after we release the 2 rotor one. This will make it a piece of cake to help squeeze power from all n/a setups.

Originally Posted by rotormind
When will you post videos of the car? Also how much does the car weigh. Do you think the car has enough to make it in the 12s in the 1/4.
I took it to the track last year when it had 185rwhp and ran a 14.1 @ 100mph with a 2.1 60ft. It weighs 2300lbs making it a 10:1 power to weight ratio. If I had some good tires, MAYBE could squeeze 12.9 out of it, but I would even be happy to post a 13.4 personally. I have a fun race lined up with a 04' EVO making 320awhp so that will be in the videos. Just need to get my camera guy out here to film it lol.

Quick Reply: Make that 230rwhp streetport 13bre n/a