General Rotary Tech Support Use this forum for tech questions not specific to a certain model year

My porting on 6 port plates

Old 06-08-19, 07:50 PM
  #1  
back with rotaries
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
eddierotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 2,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My porting on 6 port plates



Hey guys how is going? Just got a question more like a opinion, i usually use ethier mazdatrix or pineapple plates on my motors but i had this though of porting the 6 port to port the primary port as close i can to the secondary port. I did a test on a crack plate so don't mind the opps by the secondary ports and just want your opinion if anyone done this before. I'm always careful porting 6 port because i heard alot of bad stories of broken side seals and joining both ports will actually loose alot of low end torque. Maybe you guys that done this before can throw some ideas. Btw is not going on a n/a car. I'm planning to do this for a 6 port turbo setup. Thanks

Eddie
eddierotary is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 12:22 PM
  #2  
malignant narcissist
iTrader: (2)
 
diabolical1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 9,525
Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
yes. i've ported 6 port engines like that. you're definitely better off leaving it as 6 ports and NOT making the monster siamesed 4-port out of it. regardless of the wonderful memory i have of my friend's Rx-7 with one of those "siamesed" ports, the older me that has knowledge now and understands these things can confidently say it's probably not a good idea - even with a turbo.

of course, now i have to ask: why turbo the 6 port though?

also, i know you said it's a junk housing, but i try to make a habit of using duct tape to tape off the areas around the scribe. it works.
diabolical1 is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 06:22 PM
  #3  
back with rotaries
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
eddierotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 2,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diabolical1 View Post
yes. i've ported 6 port engines like that. you're definitely better off leaving it as 6 ports and NOT making the monster siamesed 4-port out of it. regardless of the wonderful memory i have of my friend's Rx-7 with one of those "siamesed" ports, the older me that has knowledge now and understands these things can confidently say it's probably not a good idea - even with a turbo.

of course, now i have to ask: why turbo the 6 port though?

also, i know you said it's a junk housing, but i try to make a habit of using duct tape to tape off the areas around the scribe. it works.
Well simple. I have a turbo 2 with no motor at this moment, I don't have turbo 2 parts to finish it but plenty of 6 port stuff so I'm making a hybrid lol. I started turboing 6 ports a long time ago and having now knowledge of both turbo 2 and turbo 6 port engine I don't find any advantage over one of the other. Now I'm sure if i go high compression i might find a difference but who knows. Plus why im porting it because i need air to move that hx52 that i have for it lol. I did a long time ago a race 6 port engine for a friend of mine that I joined both primary and secondary and i remember he complained about how high in the rpm he felt the engine wake up. That why i was conservative with porting them after. Yea I'm always careful porting. Lots of tape around the ports for sure. I don't want damage them
eddierotary is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 08:10 PM
  #4  
malignant narcissist
iTrader: (2)
 
diabolical1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 9,525
Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
i see. i was just curious. it sounds like you have some experiences so i'm sure everything will work out fine.
diabolical1 is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 08:26 AM
  #5  
back with rotaries
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
eddierotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 2,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diabolical1 View Post
i see. i was just curious. it sounds like you have some experiences so i'm sure everything will work out fine.
I had my share but not a every day builder for sure. Budget and the fact that i live in the middle of nowhere is always a factor. Always looking for ideas and opinion. I always listen to the people that done it before. Thanks for the input. Always welcome
eddierotary is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 09:06 AM
  #6  
malignant narcissist
iTrader: (2)
 
diabolical1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 9,525
Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by eddierotary View Post
Budget and the fact that i live in the middle of nowhere is always a factor.
oh man, i can relate to this so much! although i think i would still trade places with you in a heartbeat ... i know. i know. mind blown!

Always looking for ideas and opinion.
i know what you mean with this, too. as far as your project is concerned, you already know what you're in for in terms of results though. it sounds like you'll be running your Turbo rotors, so that issue is dealt with (though there's nothing wrong with the 9.4s). so the only thing left is the port timing issues and there isn't a whole lot you can do about that in a practical sense.

1. what safeguards will you be running with this in terms of boost limits?
2. are you removing the exhaust diffusers?
3. which intake manifold will you be using? again, just a curiosity-thing. i had a friend that patched up his T2 with a 6-port a while back, and he used the T2 manifold on it.
diabolical1 is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 10:41 AM
  #7  
back with rotaries
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
eddierotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 2,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diabolical1 View Post
oh man, i can relate to this so much! although i think i would still trade places with you in a heartbeat ... i know. i know. mind blown!



i know what you mean with this, too. as far as your project is concerned, you already know what you're in for in terms of results though. it sounds like you'll be running your Turbo rotors, so that issue is dealt with (though there's nothing wrong with the 9.4s). so the only thing left is the port timing issues and there isn't a whole lot you can do about that in a practical sense.

1. what safeguards will you be running with this in terms of boost limits?
2. are you removing the exhaust diffusers?
3. which intake manifold will you be using? again, just a curiosity-thing. i had a friend that patched up his T2 with a 6-port a while back, and he used the T2 manifold on it.
Is basically the same thing that your buddy did. My s4 turbo 2 motor cracked in the front iron and the rear one was worn to my likeing, housing, rotors and everything else was in good condition. I have a few s4 and 5 6 port plates. I took the s5 ones since they don't have the egr on the middle iron and got them drilled for extra dowls and now I'm going to start porting them. Intake i have s4 intake already had welded and ported for 6 port long time ago. With goopy goodies i should run fairly good amount of HP if i want to but 12-15 psi should be good enough. No Hp goal ethier. My car is a cruiser not a racer. I do take it to the track from time to time but my main goal is to be a driver
eddierotary is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 10:46 AM
  #8  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,645
Likes: 0
Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
i know of a guy who did a full bridge 6 port turbo, and it did 631hp at like 20 psi of boost.

they used a Greddy T88 (it was a long time ago), S5 T2 intake manifolds big intercooler.
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 08:54 PM
  #9  
back with rotaries
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
eddierotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 2,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j9fd3s View Post
i know of a guy who did a full bridge 6 port turbo, and it did 631hp at like 20 psi of boost.

they used a Greddy T88 (it was a long time ago), S5 T2 intake manifolds big intercooler.
Is been done, look arron cake and his 6 port setup on his FC and his cosmo.
eddierotary is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 04:25 AM
  #10  
Death to Infinite Scroll
 
peejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,735
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
I couldn't imagine starting with FC parts. i have a GSL-SE based 6 port with stock port timing and it feels like peak torque happens around 8000-9000rpm. It pulls harder the higher you rev it, which is not conducive to performance unless you have engine internals and a transmission that can handle 14,000rpm shift points.

In short, anything 6 port will have intake closing points far too late, and the FC 6 ports close the latest,

Last edited by peejay; 06-11-19 at 04:30 AM.
peejay is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 06:18 AM
  #11  
back with rotaries
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
eddierotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 2,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peejay View Post
I couldn't imagine starting with FC parts. i have a GSL-SE based 6 port with stock port timing and it feels like peak torque happens around 8000-9000rpm. It pulls harder the higher you rev it, which is not conducive to performance unless you have engine internals and a transmission that can handle 14,000rpm shift points.

In short, anything 6 port will have intake closing points far too late, and the FC 6 ports close the latest,
Peak torque at 9k? That sounds a little exaggerated. N/A or turbo?
eddierotary is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 08:42 PM
  #12  
Death to Infinite Scroll
 
peejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,735
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
I never feel a peak, the butt dyno says it keeps pulling harder the higher it revs. This is also probably largely due to the fact that the midrange torque sucks.


Very naturally aspirated. It's the "something completely different" engine. Holley 750 as the throttle body (I also milled off the choke horn and removed the boosters), some kind of intake manifold that is an inch taller than the Racing Beat 4-port manifold on my old engine (had to notch the hood for clearance). Haven't been to a dyno because there is just no time for that. I'm sure the numbers will suck in part because my duty cycle peak is a lot lower than the bridge port did, and I have a Ford 9" now and those rears are power hogs.

It actually reminds me of a 6 port based engine that Dave Lemon was describing here, where they never did find a torque peak except for late in the development cycle.

Last edited by peejay; 06-11-19 at 08:45 PM.
peejay is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 09:53 AM
  #13  
back with rotaries
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
eddierotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 2,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peejay View Post
I never feel a peak, the butt dyno says it keeps pulling harder the higher it revs. This is also probably largely due to the fact that the midrange torque sucks.


Very naturally aspirated. It's the "something completely different" engine. Holley 750 as the throttle body (I also milled off the choke horn and removed the boosters), some kind of intake manifold that is an inch taller than the Racing Beat 4-port manifold on my old engine (had to notch the hood for clearance). Haven't been to a dyno because there is just no time for that. I'm sure the numbers will suck in part because my duty cycle peak is a lot lower than the bridge port did, and I have a Ford 9" now and those rears are power hogs.

It actually reminds me of a 6 port based engine that Dave Lemon was describing here, where they never did find a torque peak except for late in the development cycle.
So you running efi? Is interesting you running a carb as a throttle body. How you managed to not have vaccum leaks at all?
eddierotary is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 06:05 PM
  #14  
Death to Infinite Scroll
 
peejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,735
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
I don't understand the question - why would a carburetor have vacuum leaks?
peejay is offline  
Old 06-23-19, 12:44 AM
  #15  
Rotary Madness
iTrader: (2)
 
rxtasy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 7,537
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts
there will be no vac leaks. the carb still controls the air going in just no long supplies the fuel. my question is did u mod the throttle plate to accept tps?
rxtasy3 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
StavFC
General Rotary Tech Support
6
08-21-09 02:51 PM
RW-7
Naturally Aspirated Performance Forum
17
06-29-09 02:43 PM
Rxxx-7_GSL-SE
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
5
09-21-07 12:49 PM
p-townrotary
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
1
04-14-04 10:46 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My porting on 6 port plates


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: