2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have an electric water pump?
Yes. It works great and I love it.
20.00%
Yes. It doesn't do anything and is a waste.
0%
No. I don't see the need.
53.33%
No. They are stupid bad for your car.
13.33%
I don't care/don't know
13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-02, 10:54 PM
Lava Surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Water Pump

well how about it guys? worth getting/not worth getting. and how about the performance of them? i dont hear it mentioned much and really didnt find any threads with the amount of info id like.

thanks,
scott

edit: feel free to express any of your feeligs about them, i know everyone won't be covered by those poll options.

Last edited by bingoboy; 04-05-02 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-05-02, 11:04 PM

hey bro my friend and i just instaled one on his civic and all it does is drain his batery and dim his lights it didint give us any real tanagnable horeses mabey 3/4 but it was not worth the time and effort put in to it
Old 04-05-02, 11:08 PM

I dont see the need. The mechanical one works just fine and it's got the reliability of 2 or 3 belts on it.
Old 04-06-02, 12:05 AM
WTB S5 N/A FC

But what when you remove the A/C, air pump, and P/S? Would there be a benefit to an electric one? Come on Sean, pipe up here brother!!
Old 04-06-02, 12:49 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im interested in this one too.

Where can I get an electric water pump for a rotary?!!
Old 04-06-02, 02:31 AM

im interested too...feed us more info
Old 04-06-02, 03:05 AM
Lava Surfer

ok who has one and loves it and didnt tell me about it!
Old 04-06-02, 03:08 AM
I wish I was driving!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Nobody makes a bolt on electric water pump.
My set up is completely custom, and right now, not the most optimum setup b/c it is not meant for continuous street use, though that's what it sees, and thus I can't really recommend it for anyone else.
I am fabricating a mount which will allow me to attach another electric waterpump. I could build and resell the mount for around $25-30 (at 0 profit), but can't see it being worthwhile since the pumps cost $325-$350.
I chose mine just to be a little different, and to see if I could get my car cooling better. It ALWAYS runs about 10 degrees cooler, this inculdes idling, and at full WOT runs. The pump will not cavitate since I don't spin it as fast and it always runs at the optimum speed for cooling.
My car is a street car, and will see very limited track use.
Sean Cathcart
Old 04-06-02, 03:18 AM

this company has them for sale, but you'll have to remove the water pump housing and that holds that alternator. so I guess you'll have to relocate that also.
not a good idea IMO.

http://www.meziere.com/cgi-bin/web_s...d=5553283_6912

Oh yeah Summit Racing has them if you must have one.

Scott C.

Last edited by Racer 13B; 04-06-02 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-06-02, 03:39 AM
I wish I was driving!

already have one...
and the company you listed doesn't make pumps for our cars.
But, when I make the swap to my new pump in about 3 weeks, I will be using one of their pumps.
Sean
Old 04-06-02, 03:46 AM
Lava Surfer

hey sean when you do that think you could tell us what you use and how you did it and how it works out for you and stuff? i wont get a chance to tinker with the rx for another month so that would be great and i'd appreciate it lots.

scott
Old 04-06-02, 03:54 AM
I wish I was driving!

I currently run a cogged Moroso Drag electric pump right now, retails about $80 or so. Cogged system puts out a slight whine, kind of like the blower. Nice sound to it.
I fabricated my own mounts for the pump, and wiring. The pump is wired into a temp switch, so it only comes on when necessary.
I had to do some pretty messed up stuff to get it to mount, something thats best left to pictures.
When I finish the next version of my install, I will see about getting a camera, and posting some pics.
Those who wonder why.... I am using this car to test out some ideas I have for my big project, about to be started in about 8 months.
Sean Cathcart
Old 04-06-02, 07:45 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
This really should not be done on a daily-driven street vehicle.&nbsp Electric water pumps are not reliable enough to be run day-in and day-out.&nbsp These are used almost exclusively for drag racers who want to decrease parasitic loss through the pulleys.&nbsp Meziere claims their system is a streetable system, but I'm suspicious anyone who states "electric" and "reliable" in the same sentence.

-Ted
Old 06-09-03, 11:20 AM

summit racing sells them for about $270. They also sell an adapter block for about $80 dollars that mounts the electronic water pump to the engine block.
Old 06-09-03, 12:04 PM
In Full Autist Cosplay

funny this came up, i was going to start a thread about it..

although some of my questions have been answered, i was going to bring this up:

what about (my brother has this setup for dragracing) an electric pulley and run a single small belt over the water pump?

the setup my brother has is an electric fan with a pulley on it that you connect to the water pump

this allows circulation with the car off, which is beneficial for racing/drag..

i cant remember the term for it, but that situation that happens when the water pump spins so fast the coolant just spins with it rather than flowing around.. right? anyways.. this could be avoided (during high rpm racing) because it would always be a constant speed and flow..

what do you guys think?
Old 06-09-03, 12:06 PM
In Full Autist Cosplay

Originally posted by spik 87 trubo 2
hey bro my friend and i just instaled one on his civic and all it does is drain his batery and dim his lights it didint give us any real tanagnable horeses mabey 3/4 but it was not worth the time and effort put in to it
stock alternator?

its not beneficial on a civic i must add though..
Old 06-09-03, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Black13B
funny this came up, i was going to start a thread about it..

although some of my questions have been answered, i was going to bring this up:

what about (my brother has this setup for dragracing) an electric pulley and run a single small belt over the water pump?

the setup my brother has is an electric fan with a pulley on it that you connect to the water pump

this allows circulation with the car off, which is beneficial for racing/drag..

i cant remember the term for it, but that situation that happens when the water pump spins so fast the coolant just spins with it rather than flowing around.. right? anyways.. this could be avoided (during high rpm racing) because it would always be a constant speed and flow..

what do you guys think?
You're thinking of cavitation. An electric water pump eliminates this.

scathcart, as he describes above, ran an electric pulley set-up.
Old 06-09-03, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Noel Caraballo
summit racing sells them for about $270. They also sell an adapter block for about $80 dollars that mounts the electronic water pump to the engine block.
Not really. The pump just circulates through the rad hoses, plumbed in series, and the adapter is just a method of attaching the hoses directly to the block.

There are a few problems with this setup:
1. It eliminates the stock mounting of the alternator, so you have to make your own mounts.
2. It provides on hole for the thermo-probe to screw itno.
3. It does not feature any method to connect the thermostat.
4. It has no nipple to provide coolant to the TB or BAC.
5. The hoses intefere with the belt set-up, so the alt must then be mounted to one of the sides of the block, which is not possible with air pump, p/s, and a/c.

This is a drag-race only part, where an aftermarket EMS/carbs are being run, and there is NO alternator. Not a street part.

Also, scathcart had to mount a 200 amp alternator just to run his. Its just not worth the effort for s treet car.
Old 06-09-03, 03:30 PM

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/newproduct.html

This is the Electric pump we tend to use in the UK. Oddly enough its cheaper here than the US, which is a first.

With this one, you don't 'have' to remove the stock pump housing. I would, but I am on a mission to save weight from the car.

Bill