1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Cold-Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 12:08 AM
EliteHardcoreCannuckSquad

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cold-Air Intake

I was wondering if any of you guys or girls can help me out.

I wanna upgrade my air intake with a nice cold-air setup with a cone filter.

Does anyone know if there is a kit out there, or am I stuck making my own?

Thanks,
-Spencer
Old 02-28-02, 12:50 AM
Seven Is Coming

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, Ive looked around quite a bit myself for a kit for my car (85 GSL) and I have come up empty handed. I know there are kits for the GSL-SE, but i havent seen anything for a 12A engine. I have however seen some nice custom made jobs that someone here should have a link to, I seem to have lost it .

~T.J.
Old 02-28-02, 12:52 AM
Seven Is Coming

Found the link. This is one of my personal favorite intakes that was custom made for the 12A... Custom Intake
Old 02-28-02, 12:59 AM
EliteHardcoreCannuckSquad

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine IS an -SE... where did you find kits for the -SE?
Old 02-28-02, 08:52 AM
EliteHardcoreCanuckSquad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a link... Read up!

Either that or go to ebay and pick yourself up an adapter (they always list it as 86-92) but it works for the SE
Old 02-28-02, 09:19 AM
EX Pres of DFW Drunks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey buddy...

no link??
Old 02-28-02, 09:41 AM

Here is a cone filter setup for your SE

http://www.rx7.com/cgi-local/1catalo...cat=6&part=110
Old 02-28-02, 10:25 AM
EX Pres of DFW Drunks

Yeah, they are hard to get from rx7.com. I've tried several times, but they are always out. Seems that they have to scrounge a coolant tank bracket from a 12a car or something, and they never seem to have any.

"check back in a couple of weeks, and we should have some..." for about 3 months now...
Old 02-28-02, 10:43 AM

is there any way to convert a k&n cone or another one for a 2nd gen to work on an -se?
Old 02-28-02, 11:52 AM
Super Newbie

Buy the HKS AFM adapter from k2rd.com, go to the speed shop and get a 3'' inlet cone filter, and get some 3'' hose if you want to make your own cold air box. It isn't hard. People buying Bonez intakes are wasting their money.
Old 02-28-02, 01:11 PM
Are you Nucking Futs?

Originally posted by Felix Wankel
Buy the HKS AFM adapter from k2rd.com, go to the speed shop and get a 3'' inlet cone filter, and get some 3'' hose if you want to make your own cold air box. It isn't hard. People buying Bonez intakes are wasting their money.
I have to agree with Felix on this one. I saw a guy who took a coffee can, cut it down, cut a square out of and punched holes in the bottom to mount it to the AFM or whatever. It looks to me like it works just as good as those $150 kits. I mean, as said in a thread somewhere around here, you only need an air filter as large in area as your throttle body or whatever your smallest opening in the intake is. On the GSL-SE it is the afm flapper square thingy is it not?

Just my $.02
Old 02-28-02, 01:27 PM
Fear The RE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
**** I bought a Bonez intake kit, and let me tell
you it is a waste of money. I could have got a
better setup for way cheaper. just my .02
Matt22
Old 02-28-02, 01:33 PM
Are you Nucking Futs?

I looked at the ones for a 12a and they seemed a waste. I made my own open air element using a reciprocating saw and a spare intake. I just cut out any thing that was not need to hold the lid on. I think it worked fine, and it made a cool woot at wide open throttle, but I still prefer the cold air intake route.
Old 02-28-02, 02:36 PM
EliteHardcoreCanuckSquad

Man I musta been smoking the heavy crack this morning....
Here's the link

Cold Air Intake Link (Next time I'll take it easy on the crack!)
Old 02-28-02, 04:37 PM

I was about to get that adapter from kr2d.com, but decided to try contemporary motorsports here in calgary. They had the exact same on for only 30 buck canadian instead of 30 bucks american like kr2d. There number is 1-403-291-1578.
Old 02-28-02, 04:43 PM
Driven a turbo FB lately?

Heres an easy one that works, its not a cold air intake but more effiecient that the stock and it will cost you about 3 bucks!

Take the filter and trace it onto a piece of black ABS cut that out and you should have a cover thats exactly the size of the facotry filter. Drill a hole in it right in the middle, be sure its the middle. Then get a nut that fits on the center car stub, and long headless bolt (not sure if thats what its called) then use the wing nut to attach. homemade top to the carb stud, Presto more air in the intake
Even sounds pretty cool too
Old 03-01-02, 12:29 AM
Seven Is Coming

Just out of curiosity...is a cone type filter setup actually better than the stock "forced air" setup on the -SE? I know that in that one website where the overflow bottle was moved to "directly in front of the filter" wouldnt that block quite a bit of air? Stock the filter box has a tube that draws air from in front of the car, why would you want to shorten that to only pick up air under the hood instead of out front? I could understand the flow amount would change for the better because of the larger diameter filter and so on, but why not run the pipe all the way out the front through the stock opening and then put the cone filter on so its still semi "forced air"? Just curious...

~T.J.
Old 03-01-02, 12:39 AM

my custom filter

Here is my intake although it is not a cone, it gets the job done.
Old 03-03-02, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by RotorMotorDriver
Stock the filter box has a tube that draws air from in front of the car,
~T.J.
actually after the intake disappears near the overflow bottle, it crosses in front of the rad and draws air from under the hood near the battery! it's a 2 piece plastic intake. the previous owner of my car just cut the end off the 2nd piece (that went to the battery area) and joined the 'horn' to the rest of the intake with some hose. he then taped the horn to the front grill creating a 'ram' effect. the only thing i found it good for was collecting crap in the filter box.

i took off the hose so now i have just half the intake tube. it ends in about the middle of the rad and points towards the drivers side of the car, i didn't notice any difference in performance at all, and now i don't have to clean out the filter box as much.
Old 03-03-02, 06:55 PM
standard combustion

post deleter, good job. Stock 12a's won't benfit to duct in a cold air intake unless you plug off the manifold heat tube. It will just divert air from the exhuast manifold when it gets too cool because the spring rod shuts off the air from the outside then and comes from the exhuast manifold tube.

EFI cars are completely different though. Get a highflow intake cone.
Old 03-08-02, 09:04 PM

if you remaove the hose , will it do the same thing.
Old 03-08-02, 09:32 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Received 417 Likes on 297 Posts
What I did was just get some balin' wire (never leave home without it) and run it between the inlet and the hot-air inlet in such a way that it keeps that flap open.

I had to do that at the track because I like to fill my air cleaner with ice around the air filter (NOT inside the folter, the area around!) and then put the bag on top... most of the ice melts and drips out in the staging lanes, but it melts because it's soaking heat away from the air cleaner assembly, and if there's any ice left the air has to pass over/through it. and i forgot about the air flap until the last minute, and quickly wired it open while the lane was moving!

since i didn't need an ACV block-off, I left the hole open, and I would stuff ice in the manifold too! I dunno how well it'd work, though...
Old 03-10-02, 10:32 AM
Rotary Freak

Pitdp - I'd like some parts information on your 'homebrew' cold-air intake. Do you have a web site with this information? Thanks.
Old 03-10-02, 03:39 PM
standard combustion

Ok then, if you do wire it so the flap remains down and draws air just from the front nozzle, your still dealing with a carb that is jetted for a certain tempature range(reasoning behind the spring diverting heated air from the exhuast)? Won't it go lean when ever it is cold out? Do you have jets for colder temps then?