2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Mazdatrix True Dual Write Up w/pics or...GTUs now in Stereo!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 09:27 PM
NA Powah, Every Hour!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazdatrix True Dual Write Up w/pics or...GTUs now in Stereo!

Yo,

I just bought the Mazdatrix True Dual exhaust (Pt. #16-MZTX-0010RB) off of fellow Forum member Suds7. Here is the Mazdatrix page on the exhaust:

http://www.mazdatrix.com/r-ex86nt.htm

THE SYSTEM

Starting from the front of the car and working backwards:

Note the Racing Beat road race header coming down past the Mazdaspeed lower arm bar. You can see each rotor get's its own exhaust path.

In this picture you and see how the exhaust is a "true" dual since there is not collected for the entire length of the exhaust system. You can also see the twin Racing Beat presilencers, one for each rotor.

Another shot looking backwards, note the nice Mazdatrix chroming of the connector pipes from the presilencers to the Racing Beat canisters. Blingtastic!

A shot from the back, showing the awesome Racing Beat canisters and tips. Since I'm already a fan of Racing Beat, the perfect welds and flawless chroming came as no surprise.

A close up of the Racing Beat laser engraved logo on the tip, as well as the Racing Beat stamped logo on the back of the canister. A joy to polish and make shine!

THE INSTALL

Install was done by Rotary Racer (aka Dana...or "Da Man"). It took approximately 3 hours, but he was taking extra time for detail work and striving for perfection. He told me install was easy, no problems and all pieces fit well the first time. Thumbs up to Mazdatrix for the fit and finish on all the connecting pipes.

THE DRIVING IMPRESSION

Ehh...honestly I was a little dissappointed on the initial drive. Given the amount of hype surrounding this exhaust, as well as month after month of my anticipation...unless my head was ripped off my neck by whiplash acceleration...I was bound to be let down.

But...it was faster. The car now pulls almost effortlessly to 8,400rpm...there is no VDI surge, just a smooth transition of power all the way to fuel cut. I need to get my 6 ports working because low end has suffered.

But a funny thing has happened, the exhaust has grown on me. After the initial let down that my car can't break Mach 1 with just an exhaust swap...I'm really digging this exhaust. It pulls up top like a mother. The tach needle just swings up towards 9,000 with a vengeance. If I had a lightened flywheel, this effect would be even greater.

It's a "sneaky" fast...you don't really feel like you're going fast...until you look at the closure you're getting on other vehicles and the speed blur of the bots dots. I took Dana out to my 9/11 road and we hit 120mph with 3/4 tank, going up a slight grade in 4th and the needle was still pulling up towards 8,000. I'm okay with that. *grin*

THE SOUND

Okay, much was ballyhoo'd about the sound of the True Dual exhaust. "Too loud"..."Too obnoxious"..."Weedeater"...blah blah blah. Dudes, put down that crack pipe. The exhaust sounds great, not even loud at all! About as loud as my HKS, with a little bit more throaty growl down low. My coworker wants me to ditch the presilencers because it's so quiet!! You can barely hear it idle from 15' away, there is no droning on the freeway. Completely streetable, no problem. That was my only real concern, that it was going to be super loud. Nope, a Honda with a typical fart cannon is tons louder than my car.

THE BAD NEWS

It looks great, it works great, it sounds great. Where is the downside? Well my friends...I can't backfire any more. No bangs, no flashes, no nothing. I have lost the ability to perform the RX-7's signature move: the backfire. Yes, hang your heads for it is a sad day. I loved backfiring. I loved the flash. Now I will have to love all the extra HP I have now. A harsh tradeoff. We'll see if it will stand the test of time.

THE PROPS

To my main mechanic Dana. He got the car smogged, back in the garage and the exhaust done in an afternoon. The attention to detail and that "good enough" isn't...made it easy to leave my pride and joy with him. He is "Da Man"!

Mazdatrix: Good job on the exhaust!

Racing Beat: Good job on the parts!

Hope you guys liked the write up!

Kevin
1989 GTUs "Now in Stereo!"
Old 04-30-03, 09:30 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

BAD ***!!
Old 04-30-03, 09:32 PM
Do a barrel roll!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great I've heard that up top on the higher rpms is where the true dual design sucked, its funny to hear you say that it pulled well up there... RB makes some fantastic looking stuff, only downside I see is the weight
Old 04-30-03, 09:33 PM
88 AE

Nice work. Good write-up.

I thought you were going turbo though? Or are you still planning that?
Old 04-30-03, 09:33 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Nice write-up. You definately put down some of the whiners with that piece of writing - well done!

Isn't it nice to have a mechanic that really wants to see something done right? That is why I have to do my own work - no one else has the same appreciation for my car.
Old 04-30-03, 09:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As you said, a lightened flywheel will put you Into warp speed.

Excellent finish.
Old 04-30-03, 09:40 PM
FC Mobsta

Originally posted by BDoty311
Nice work. Good write-up.

I thought you were going turbo though? Or are you still planning that?
The turbo thing was a joke...unless you are joking now.....

Looks nice by the way!
Old 04-30-03, 09:41 PM
Best of both worlds

ohhh baby! looks sweeeeeeeeeet!

even tape above the muffler bumper cut-outs...you freak you! lol
Old 04-30-03, 09:44 PM
88 AE

The turbo thing was a joke...unless you are joking now.....
He was?? Good Deal. Long live the GTUs!!!!
Old 04-30-03, 09:47 PM
mad scientist

Pony killer, he didnt put down anything. Ive had a true dual, and I agree with a lot of what he said. But the exhaust tone is aweful on my ported motor. I must say it was bearable when I had stock exhaust ports.

BUT the fact remains that true dual shines at low rpm, and I cant stand the tone. The volume was never bad at idle/cruise in my car. You still cant hear my exhaust when cruising. And my porting made the tone 10 times worse.

It all comes down to preference. Some people like the sound of true duals on a n/a. But they havent heard true duals on a motor like mine...
Old 04-30-03, 09:48 PM
mad scientist

BTW, glad you like them rarestrx. Didnt i tell you that you probably would?
Old 04-30-03, 09:49 PM
Former Rx7 *****

a flywheel will pull you into lightspeed? WTF? u want to break mach 1 you say?

u need this.

Old 04-30-03, 09:51 PM
Do a barrel roll!

Yea....cuz a rotary could spool that right up.....
Old 04-30-03, 09:58 PM
I'll have a Coke!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Excuse me while i go clean myself up.

Looks good man.
Old 04-30-03, 10:03 PM
88 AE

I think theres a rule about turbochargers:

Dont get one that is bigger than your engine.LOL
Old 04-30-03, 10:40 PM
NA Powah, Every Hour!

Yo,

I'm glad you guys like the write up! To answer some questions:

On weight: I wish we weighed everything, it really didn't weigh that much to me...especially the canisters. No big increase IMO.

On bottom end: Yep, I need to get my 6 ports working...I have definitely lost what little punch I had down low. Buut...once it starts going...the power comes on.

On going turbo: Me? Puh-lease! That was a April Fool's joke...but Dana is going to turbo his GTUs. Well, he was until we installed this exhaust. *grin* BTW, I'm more apt to stick an LS1 in my engine bay than a turbo.

On heat tape: Yeah, I had heat tape for the HKS 50mm exhaust. The tips were solid compared to the pipe within a pipe construction of the Racing Beat tips and weren't canted like the Racing Beat. Don't worry, I took off all the adhesive and waxed the cutouts. *wink*

I really like the exhaust, and once I get:

My six ports working
Throttle body mod
Ported UIM and LIM
Pineapple sleeves
S-AFC II

I'm sure I'll be happier. *grin*

Thanks again for all the replies!

Kevin
1989 GTUs "No backfire for you!"
Old 04-30-03, 10:47 PM
Eat Rice Don't Drive it.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOOD man now you are part of the DUALS familia. Welcome. I wish mine were clean right now yours look like mine did3e before it rained last night.

I also agree that the needle shoots up in the high RPMs
I love the "growl" don't you
Old 04-30-03, 10:48 PM
FC Mobsta

Originally posted by BDoty311
He was?? Good Deal. Long live the GTUs!!!!
Good deal...

Old 04-30-03, 10:50 PM
Eat Rice Don't Drive it.

Kevin
1989 GTUs "No backfire for you!"

My car backfires man. What you have to do is let off at 5-6500rpms you will hear it. Oh and the flames are sweet also.
Old 04-30-03, 10:52 PM
FC Mobsta

Originally posted by Cheers!
a flywheel will pull you into lightspeed? WTF? u want to break mach 1 you say?

u need this.

Amen to that brother!
Old 04-30-03, 10:58 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Damn that install is clean who did that? Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have to tell you I have been waiting to install those for a while. When I got done with it and we took a ride he was more disappointed than I wanted to hear . But after a couple of blips on the freeway and a good launch done by yours truly we were hooked.

Rotary Racer “long live the N/A, but wait I don’t have one in my bay any more
Old 04-30-03, 11:02 PM
Super Raterhater

I just like that underside picture, damn that can be useful in a LOT of places
Old 04-30-03, 11:24 PM
Resident Moonwalker

No cats? How did you pass smog?
Old 04-30-03, 11:25 PM
FC Mobsta

Originally posted by ViperKillerWannabe
No cats? How did you pass smog?

favors for the inspectors.....

j/k
Old 04-30-03, 11:26 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Your car must be confused now. First, it gets a small exhaust upgrade, then you choke it with the stock stuff (for emissions), then you give it the highest flowing system available.

Why aren't your 6 ports working? Broken solenoid or something? The signal for my 6PI system got shorted out, so my solenoid stopped working. I just wired the actuators straight to the line from the air pump, and they just happen to open at 3000 rpm, so I'm satisfied.

Lucky me though, I still get that VDI kick . Actually, since I changed my oil, my car feels slower and my VDI kick is less obvious. I know it seems stupid, but is there any way that overly thin oil (10W-30), or too much oil could possibly make it slower?

Quick Reply: Mazdatrix True Dual Write Up w/pics or...GTUs now in Stereo!