The RX-7 confirmed to be in the pipeline for 2017---RX-Vision Unveil!! - Page 15 - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

Go Back  RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum > Generation Specific > 3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) > 3rd Gen General Discussion
Reload this Page >

The RX-7 confirmed to be in the pipeline for 2017---RX-Vision Unveil!!

3rd Gen General Discussion The place for non-technical discussion about 3rd Gen RX-7s or if there's no better place for your topic

The RX-7 confirmed to be in the pipeline for 2017---RX-Vision Unveil!!

Old 04-04-13, 01:48 PM
  #351  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,491
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I can't believe Mazda follows these forums. If they did, there wouldn't have been an RX8. Talk about the answer to the question nobody was asking.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 04-04-13, 06:54 PM
  #352  
Rotor Head Extreme
iTrader: (8)
 
t-von's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Midland Texas
Posts: 6,702
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
^ These forums weren't that big 10yrs ago. The rx8 had more to do with Fords control. Mazda had to come up with something more practical than another low volume Rx7. When the head guy at Ford drove the Rx8 prototype, he gave it the green light. Now and days, because of smart phones, everyone is on the internet for some reason or another. Mazda would be foolish to not be paying attention to forums in todays time.
t-von is offline  
Old 04-04-13, 08:06 PM
  #353  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrs80 View Post
Does Mazda really follow these online forums? I've seen people claim they do. It seems so simple. Just make the car, you've already done it right with the 1st and 3rd gen, figure out where you want it to be in the market and make it happen again.
If only engineering was as simple as forums. I assume you still want an engine that goes round and round rather than up and down? "Make it happen" doesn't quite fit the bill for that I'm afraid.
Bwarrrrrp is offline  
Old 04-04-13, 08:09 PM
  #354  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
thewird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,584
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They need to start with the mindset that they are turbocharging it. The rest of the engineering will come from that fact and be the car everyone wants, including the emissions component. Done.

thewird
thewird is offline  
Old 04-04-13, 10:26 PM
  #355  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 1,855
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
Hey, somebody made the new RX7 I was talking about, it's called a "Lotus Exige S". 345hp supercharged V6, >2600 lbs.

Exige Specifications | Lotus Cars

Tell me Mazda couldn't make a rotary version of this car for $20k less than Lotus. Done and done.
20k less is still 80+k
Julian is offline  
Old 04-05-13, 06:32 AM
  #356  
10-8-10
iTrader: (7)
 
adamrs80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bwarrrrrp View Post
If only engineering was as simple as forums. I assume you still want an engine that goes round and round rather than up and down? "Make it happen" doesn't quite fit the bill for that I'm afraid.
You must be one of those Mazda engineers who I was speculating might follow this forum. Can we assume that you are frustrated and having a tough time getting the emissions under the limit or can't meet an efficiency goal? I'm being facetious of course. My saying "make it happen" does not mean it's a simple process any more than President Kennedy saying in 1961 that the US would land a man on the moon by the end of the decade, would be a simple process. We have all heard that the 16x has been under development for quite some time. The Miata is a platform that could probably be useful at least in part. It's not as if this is the first sport car or rotary engine Mazda has built. As a company there is no reason they can't produce a nice light sport car along the lines of the FR-S/BRZ. I know most of us want something along the performance lines of the FD but I'm just saying I think they are more than capable to build something to surpass the FR-S/BRZ with the technology they currently have. What is holding Mazda back is probably not the engineering. I think it's poor finances and brand management.
adamrs80 is offline  
Old 04-05-13, 10:12 AM
  #357  
Rotary Freak
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 2,824
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrs80 View Post
You must be one of those Mazda engineers who I was speculating might follow this forum. Can we assume that you are frustrated and having a tough time getting the emissions under the limit or can't meet an efficiency goal? I'm being facetious of course. My saying "make it happen" does not mean it's a simple process any more than President Kennedy saying in 1961 that the US would land a man on the moon by the end of the decade, would be a simple process. We have all heard that the 16x has been under development for quite some time. The Miata is a platform that could probably be useful at least in part. It's not as if this is the first sport car or rotary engine Mazda has built. As a company there is no reason they can't produce a nice light sport car along the lines of the FR-S/BRZ. I know most of us want something along the performance lines of the FD but I'm just saying I think they are more than capable to build something to surpass the FR-S/BRZ with the technology they currently have. What is holding Mazda back is probably not the engineering. I think it's poor finances and brand management.
I disagree with this .. mazda has had a light sports car that follows suit of the BRZ , infact i'd say the BRZ followed the Miata .

The new Miata i'm sure more then enough to compare with the BRZ .

The Rx7 should be their top of the line sports car. to compete with and be much better then the likes of the Z , The Genesis <-- damn thing is selling like hotcakes. and things along those lines .

Last edited by Tem120; 04-05-13 at 10:14 AM.
Tem120 is offline  
Old 04-05-13, 01:13 PM
  #358  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,491
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
20k less is still 80+k
I get what you're saying, but honestly? So what? Is anyone else making it for $80k? Then that's $20k less than the nearest competitor. They're selling the **** out of $100k Chevys and Nissans these days.

THAT's the thing... it's a very unique sweet spot in terms of weight/power/handling/trim level mix. A $100 Corvette or Nissan would have been called ludicrous a few years ago until they built ones worth $100k. As long as it kicks *** for the money, people will buy it.

Last edited by ptrhahn; 04-05-13 at 01:15 PM.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 04-05-13, 01:43 PM
  #359  
10-8-10
iTrader: (7)
 
adamrs80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tem120 View Post
I disagree with this .. mazda has had a light sports car that follows suit of the BRZ , infact i'd say the BRZ followed the Miata .

The new Miata i'm sure more then enough to compare with the BRZ .

The Rx7 should be their top of the line sports car. to compete with and be much better then the likes of the Z , The Genesis <-- damn thing is selling like hotcakes. and things along those lines .
I agree, the Miata already beats or equals the BRZ/FR-S. I also think most people buying a FR-S/BRZ have no intentions of considering a Miata. A small light coupe would work even alongside the Miata but would hopefully be much more capable. Performance one par with the FD would be more than enough in my opinion and enough to best the Genesis and keep from taking sales from the Miata.
adamrs80 is offline  
Old 04-05-13, 05:38 PM
  #360  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
 
bowlcutsaresweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmonsen View Post
^I have been told by senior Mazda guys that they "have people following the forums" and it would make sense that they did or that Mazda engineers would do it of their own accord. It would be odd I should think for them to engage in any dialog by corporate policy, though it would probably be helpful for them to do so. Very Japanese to monitor silently. Very un-Japanese to publicly participate.

G
Spot on. I work in R&D for a Japanese automotive supplier and it's like working for the CIA. Every model has several arbitrary codes, you never say the actual model name. We have security clearances, it's almost obnoxious.

With regards to your other post, weight is one of the largest concerns with all current vehicles, in part because of government safety regulations. Look at the CRX HF, EPA rated 65mpg in 1986. Sports cars, due to the amount of power they create now(GTR), can afford the added weight without much of an acceleration penalty. Deceleration can be countermeasured with HUGE brakes. When cornering all that mass is essentially free downforce, lots of grip. Difficulty comes in making it drivable/controllable, hence all the electronic assists. It's like the f117 stealth fighter; unflyable without computers.
bowlcutsaresweet is offline  
Old 04-05-13, 06:02 PM
  #361  
Mazda Racing
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Information on the 16X Rotary can be found here:

MAZDA:16X | The Rotary Engine

I cannot wait to see one of these hit showrooms in North America. I will test drive it and I will more than likely buy it. What is taking so long is costing mazda. I already bought an FR-S and it was mighty fun but had to trade it for the better quality mazdaspeed3. Looking for cheap miata now. This RX-7 will be worth 40k to me, if its as nice as the new Mazda6. That mazda6 is like an Audi inside now. Really plush. This should get interesting for mazda in the next 10 years! I'm excited to see what badass cars they come out with next. Nothing can match a mazda.
WAM'90FC3S is offline  
Old 04-07-13, 08:17 AM
  #362  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrs80 View Post
I think it's poor finances and brand management.
Maybe right about brand management, but I cant' think why they would have poor finances. The mazda 3 and 6 have been selling in ridiculous numbers. Mazda 3 topped Aus tables once or twice.
Bwarrrrrp is offline  
Old 04-07-13, 11:16 AM
  #363  
10-8-10
iTrader: (7)
 
adamrs80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bwarrrrrp View Post
Maybe right about brand management, but I cant' think why they would have poor finances. The mazda 3 and 6 have been selling in ridiculous numbers. Mazda 3 topped Aus tables once or twice.
Can any of you guys shed some light on Mazda's finances? My understanding is that they have a lot of debt. Some fella on here knows a lot more about it than I do. Enlighten us.
adamrs80 is offline  
Old 04-07-13, 07:27 PM
  #364  
TaK
iTrader: (1)
 
ghost1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: delaware
Posts: 312
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More thoughts on the rx7

Mazda knows how to make a good looking car that handles. If only they weren't lacking in the hp department.
Everyone knows the fastest rx7s in the world aren't built buy mazda but by Puerto Rico.

The beauty of the rx7 is how easy it is to make so much hp with simple upgrades. With drifting being so popular I surprised mazda isn't focusing on a car that can handle the abuse.

Make the diffs over sized and easy to access. With gearing options that suit mpgs and race track needs.

Use a manual trans built to withstand far more hp than the car might ever see that shifts smoothly and is easy to remove for clutch swaps and maintenance.

Intentionally design a car that can be easily customized from body kits to tunning parts.

simplify the engine bay. Time to let the little motor breath. It should be air cooled as well as liquid.
Use electric air pump, power steering, And if possible an electric A/C system that doesn't get in the way of weekend racing high maintenance track situations.

A engine with only 3 moving parts should be the most reliable thing on the planet. It shouldn't come new with a list of reliablity mods that people should need to do.

Instead of using expensive materials like carbon fiber use well engineered inexpensive materials that can be upgraded later. Plastics and thin metals can be shaped for structural strength that won't rattle or feel of low quality.

Try to eliminate the need for trailing ignition system. I believe its the cause of most rotary engine failures and complicates tuning.
I'm using leading only with multi spark discharge and it feels pretty good I don't have a dyno and gas analyzer but I will post my next inspection results.

I want mazda to start with a back to basics car thats just fun and let it evolve from there. They don't need to win there first time out just show

Last edited by ghost1000; 04-07-13 at 07:39 PM.
ghost1000 is offline  
Old 04-07-13, 07:50 PM
  #365  
Full Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
NightmareSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this legit??

[QUOTE11272703]Well, its going to be five years from today, many things can change and will change, so I will not believe it until I see one at the Mazda leadership.

[/QUOTE]Well said.
As things are a next gen RX-7 is about as elusive & unbelievable as a unicorn with wings.
300HP really that's all that's pathetic! They might as well not bother developing one when we've got other hi-performance Japanese cars pushing well past that GTR's,Evo's,WRX's and what have you

And heaven forbid they make the next RX7 look like a damn cardboard-box! Like all of those lame concept cars Mazda has been parading at auto shows for years.
NightmareSeven is offline  
Old 04-07-13, 09:00 PM
  #366  
10-8-10
iTrader: (7)
 
adamrs80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
300HP can be a fine amount of power, The GTR weighs 1000 lbs more than the next RX-7 would be likely to weigh. The EVO and STI are lightweight but still significantly heavier than the FD which I would like to thing Mazda will make it's benchmark to surpass.
adamrs80 is offline  
Old 04-07-13, 11:47 PM
  #367  
rotary sensei
15 Year Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Mr rx-7 tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,311
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrs80 View Post
300HP can be a fine amount of power, The GTR weighs 1000 lbs more than the next RX-7 would be likely to weigh. The EVO and STI are lightweight but still significantly heavier than the FD which I would like to thing Mazda will make it's benchmark to surpass.
The GTR has 530 hp, the base vette has 450, the Viper 600. 300 hp was great in 1990, they aren't going to be taken serious with 300 hp in todays performance world.
Mr rx-7 tt is offline  
Old 04-08-13, 12:11 AM
  #368  
Full Member
iTrader: (5)
 
bluemp301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr rx-7 tt View Post
The GTR has 530 hp, the base vette has 450, the Viper 600. 300 hp was great in 1990, they aren't going to be taken serious with 300 hp in todays performance world.

I guess no one should take a 2013 STI serious with its 305hp or an EVO with its 291 hp.....it's all about the power to weight.
bluemp301 is offline  
Old 04-08-13, 06:14 AM
  #369  
10-8-10
iTrader: (7)
 
adamrs80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemp301 View Post
I guess no one should take a 2013 STI serious with its 305hp or an EVO with its 291 hp.....it's all about the power to weight.
My thoughts exactly. How about a Porsche Cayman S, Lotus Elise/Exige , BMW 1M? Don't get me wrong, I'd love more than 300hp. I just don't think it's going to happen nor would it be necessary. The ability to tune it for more power would be nice. The RX-8 didn't leave much on the table.
adamrs80 is offline  
Old 04-08-13, 07:47 AM
  #370  
Rotary Freak
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 2,824
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrs80 View Post
My thoughts exactly. How about a Porsche Cayman S, Lotus Elise/Exige , BMW 1M? Don't get me wrong, I'd love more than 300hp. I just don't think it's going to happen nor would it be necessary. The ability to tune it for more power would be nice. The RX-8 didn't leave much on the table.

This is one of my favorite aspects of the FD ... I had a miata before the FD , and although its the car that made me fall inlove with mazda and its biggest drawback was its lack of speed on the road to pass a car it was a strateigic thing .


short of adding a turbo there is no way to make any significant improvement on them ( but atleast it could be turbo'd not like the rx8 ) .


in the FD its oh a downpipe , oh an intake , oh and exhaus t, oh a new ECU damn.. 100 more HP .. simple bolt ons


BUT I also recognize that most people are on the other side of the spectrum the " BUY NEW CAR, NO TOUCH, NO MOD , Types" .. and most of us here are the exception to that rule

Last edited by Tem120; 04-08-13 at 07:55 AM.
Tem120 is offline  
Old 04-24-13, 04:13 PM
  #371  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,491
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I hate to bump this thread again, but just in case Mazda does read this stuff, I thought it worth noting that I just got a banner ad on my home page for a $69k, 429hp V8 HYUNDAI.

A Hyundai. With over 400 hp. For $70k. Granted it's a sedan, but Mazda, get your **** together.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 04-24-13, 04:38 PM
  #372  
Classy
10 Year Member
iTrader: (17)
 
evot23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 6,900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
I hate to bump this thread again, but just in case Mazda does read this stuff, I thought it worth noting that I just got a banner ad on my home page for a $69k, 429hp V8 HYUNDAI.

A Hyundai. With over 400 hp. For $70k. Granted it's a sedan, but Mazda, get your **** together.
Amen.
evot23 is offline  
Old 04-24-13, 08:22 PM
  #373  
10-8-10
iTrader: (7)
 
adamrs80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazy. I guess if Hyundai can sell a car for that much money Mazda should be able to as well. The catch is that the Hyundai is a very high end large 4 door sedan that has copied the Lexus LS fairly well. I think a Mazda sports car would have to be considerably less expensive otherwise a person who cares about the brand name will just go for a low end porsche. It's still an excellent example of what the market is offering right now.
adamrs80 is offline  
Old 04-24-13, 08:47 PM
  #374  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,491
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
The car Mazda could/should build for $70k would suck the paint off a low end Porsche as it drove by.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 04-25-13, 06:49 AM
  #375  
10-8-10
iTrader: (7)
 
adamrs80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
The car Mazda could/should build for $70k would suck the paint off a low end Porsche as it drove by.
Yes for 70k Mazda could build a very serious vehicle.
adamrs80 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The RX-7 confirmed to be in the pipeline for 2017---RX-Vision Unveil!!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.