Techno Toy Tuning front and rear coilovers who's got um? - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

Go Back  RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum > Generation Specific > 1st Generation Specific (1979-1985)
Reload this Page > Techno Toy Tuning front and rear coilovers who's got um?
1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Techno Toy Tuning front and rear coilovers who's got um?

Reply

 
 
Old 05-09-13, 11:26 PM
  #1
Now w/ 12A SP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
PK_12A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Collinsville, OK.
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Techno Toy Tuning front and rear coilovers who's got um?

So was in a different thread a moment ago and came across the Techno Toy Tuning front and rear coil overs and at $650 rear and $795 front, the price is pretty nice and so far the folks using their products are pleased so my question is, do any first gen guys running them? If so how are they? Any gripes? Let us know!

Sent using RX7Club for Android.

Last edited by PK_12A; 05-09-13 at 11:29 PM.
PK_12A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 11:37 PM
  #2
its supposed to do that
 
flight_of_pain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The price seems a bit steep, but the TTT stuff is quite nice quality wise. If you dont mind a bit of work, check out the spring preferences thread, and make your own for much less.
flight_of_pain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 11:51 PM
  #3
Now w/ 12A SP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
PK_12A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Collinsville, OK.
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen FC guys drop 2-3k+ $1445 isn't to bad for coilovers and this is the only full "kit" out there. I have seen the thread and love the diy coilovers I just don't have the time or tools to build them.

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
PK_12A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 01:51 AM
  #4
'84 5-letter
iTrader: (5)
 
ioTus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah i'm intrigued by the DIY coils, and its fascinating to know a bit about that.

I gotta admit I'm the kinda guy who would by far prefer to pay a good chunk more for an engineered kit, prebuilt and ready to install. Company to back it, matching colors, etc.

I have a long list of things to work on before I get to suspension, but at this point I'm sold on the TTT coils kits.

And don't forget to use the roll center adjusters if you plan on slamming. Crucial to correct for the drop.
ioTus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 03:43 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shoreline, Wa
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Saw the thread, thought it was pretty expensive and wanted to hear from someone who has the setup on their car. I really want to pull the trigger but its hard to justify $1500 plus on suspension on a $300 car.
xMUZZx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 04:27 PM
  #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
wesmcbride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sykesville, MD
Posts: 527
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xMUZZx View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Saw the thread, thought it was pretty expensive and wanted to hear from someone who has the setup on their car. I really want to pull the trigger but its hard to justify $1500 plus on suspension on a $300 car.
Well once you drop the $1500 on the coilovers the car would be an $1800 car
wesmcbride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 05:00 PM
  #7
'84 5-letter
iTrader: (5)
 
ioTus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xMUZZx View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Saw the thread, thought it was pretty expensive and wanted to hear from someone who has the setup on their car. I really want to pull the trigger but its hard to justify $1500 plus on suspension on a $300 car.
This is the very mentality that led it to being a $300 and not a $10,000 car 30 years later.
ioTus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 05:07 PM
  #8
Now w/ 12A SP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
PK_12A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Collinsville, OK.
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See I'm 3k in mine already another 1500 aint bad. .

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
PK_12A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 10:27 PM
  #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shoreline, Wa
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ioTus View Post
This is the very mentality that led it to being a $300 and not a $10,000 car 30 years later.
Its the "rotary" factor. Most people wont touch the car w/ a ten foot pole because it doesnt have pistons. I myself have my reservations but at this price point, I cant complain. Just hate to throw this kind of $ at suspension if the motor goes on me.
xMUZZx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 04:01 PM
  #10
'84 5-letter
iTrader: (5)
 
ioTus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xMUZZx View Post
Its the "rotary" factor. Most people wont touch the car w/ a ten foot pole because it doesnt have pistons. I myself have my reservations but at this price point, I cant complain. Just hate to throw this kind of $ at suspension if the motor goes on me.
I dont see it as such at all. Any car 30 years old will have the same issues. Its probably been neglected for a good chunk, depending entirely on previous owners.

What I'm saying is the reason they arent "worth" that much is because nobody has taken the care to invest that much.

Old Schwinn's weren't much to write home about, a decent all around bike. Now they're worth 4x what they once were, except for when not taken care of then they're just another junker on (or probably not on) the road.

If the engine is about to go out in your car, then save up for a rebuild, now is not the time to be investing in suspension.
ioTus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 04:08 PM
  #11
Now w/ 12A SP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
PK_12A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Collinsville, OK.
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trust me, 1500 into the suspesion is not that bad and if it is for you there are other options out there. By the logic of "rotary makes it a cheap car" the why does a decent FD run into the 10k+ range? Honestly I don't mind the expenditure IF, it's a quality part like I said I'm 3k-4500 into it now whats another 1500 to make it right? Guess my question is if anyone has run them on an FB, MR2, Miata, ect. How were they, is the price justifiable, any complaints, quality pretty good? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
PK_12A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 04:18 PM
  #12
'84 5-letter
iTrader: (5)
 
ioTus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I find curious is that the fronts use Illuminas and the rears use AGX.

However, given that in order to adjust the rears you have to either a) take the wheel well covers off to get to the top-adjust on the Illuminas or b) drill the wheel well covers, it makes sense to use a shock externally adjustable. I could see it working rather well.
ioTus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 12:01 AM
  #13
Now w/ 12A SP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
PK_12A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Collinsville, OK.
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back during my Toyota days before my 4gen Celica got wrecked, I was getting ready for a suspension refresh and during my research found KYB shocks were the general standard upgrade and most guys were happy with the performance, in fact I hadn't really heard much bad about them until I got here. I am honestly wondering, why the Illumina's up fron and AGX in back too, not to knock the Illumina's but, why not run the AGX at all 4 for a matched set. It would probably make them a bit less expensive as well. It also begs the question you asked about why no Illuminas out back, though the adjuster location is a good enough reason. In short why no mathced set for the shocks either AGX or Illumina.

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
PK_12A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 01:10 AM
  #14
Fluent in math
 
autobahn_don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lima, OH
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PK_12A View Post
Back during my Toyota days before my 4gen Celica got wrecked, I was getting ready for a suspension refresh and during my research found KYB shocks were the general standard upgrade and most guys were happy with the performance, in fact I hadn't really heard much bad about them until I got here. I am honestly wondering, why the Illumina's up fron and AGX in back too, not to knock the Illumina's but, why not run the AGX at all 4 for a matched set. It would probably make them a bit less expensive as well. It also begs the question you asked about why no Illuminas out back, though the adjuster location is a good enough reason. In short why no mathced set for the shocks either AGX or Illumina.

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
This bothers me as well... I'm sure it works fine but I always feel more comfortable with matched damping all around.

It would be cool if Ground Control made a set up for the FBs. My euro experience has lead me to be a firm believer in Koni and Bilstein. GC makes some pretty sweet (and affordable) kits with Koni and eibach parts. Might have to give them a call and see whats up with a kit for these good old FBs...
autobahn_don is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 11:47 AM
  #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shoreline, Wa
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PK_12A View Post
By the logic of "rotary makes it a cheap car" the why does a decent FD run into the 10k+ range

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
Because they only imported like 15k FD's and they imported 300k FB's?

Back on topic, I know 1500 isnt that much for suspension but it is a fairly nice chunk of cash. I just want some feedback before I take the plunge thats all. Motor runs like a champ but the struts/shocks and bushings are shot and I would rather upgrade than buy oem replacement.
xMUZZx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 01:41 PM
  #16
Now w/ 12A SP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
PK_12A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Collinsville, OK.
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I know that mr2 and 86 guys seem to like them over more expensive ones because of the price, and seem to be pretty happy with their performance, and like I was saying as far as the AGX in back, I hadn't heard much bad until I got here and first gen guys hate um and prefer the Illuminas but, like I said most everyone likes them. I notices they mention custom spring rates and that is a plus, most coil overs you get what you get. I'm just curious on the use of Illuminas in front over a full set of AGX or Illuminas like Iotus. I think when I have the greenbacks if no one else has tried them, I'll just do it and see if they're worth the time and money.

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
PK_12A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 03:17 PM
  #17
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 23,558
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by autobahn_don View Post
This bothers me as well... I'm sure it works fine but I always feel more comfortable with matched damping all around.

It would be cool if Ground Control made a set up for the FBs. My euro experience has lead me to be a firm believer in Koni and Bilstein. GC makes some pretty sweet (and affordable) kits with Koni and eibach parts. Might have to give them a call and see whats up with a kit for these good old FBs...
i'm sure GC has done koni/eibach 1st gens
j9fd3s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13, 07:45 PM
  #18
premix, for f's sake
iTrader: (6)
 
Sgt.Stinkfist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: madison, WI
Posts: 1,436
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
^I have a koni/eibach 1st gen



unfortunately the "custom" GC/Eibach OE fit rear springs have been discontinued, my rear Koni's are a mustang part, and front struts have been re-tubed to accept 2" OD Koni race inserts from an old datsun Z car
Sgt.Stinkfist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13, 08:13 PM
  #19
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 23,558
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt.Stinkfist View Post
^I have a koni/eibach 1st gen



unfortunately the "custom" GC/Eibach OE fit rear springs have been discontinued, my rear Koni's are a mustang part, and front struts have been re-tubed to accept 2" OD Koni race inserts from an old datsun Z car
lmao! i meant bilstein, but all they do is eibach...

i was actually wondering why we don't do something like the 911 RSR units, until i saw the cost! $900 each, hub is another $500-600 each...
Attached Thumbnails Techno Toy Tuning front and rear coilovers who's got um?-dsc00105.jpg  
j9fd3s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13, 08:31 PM
  #20
My 7 is my girlfriend.
10 Year Member
iTrader: (5)
 
orion84gsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the math and compared to RE-Speed front and rear setups, it's less than $250 more for the T3 coilovers and you don't have to assemble anything aside from bolting them onto your car. Not that I regret the RE-Speed front kit but it was a pain in the *** chopping the perches off, having new ones welded on then repainting them. Honestly I think that bit of labour and downtime would be worth the extra money. If I hadn't already upgraded my suspension I'd definitely consider the T3 parts.
orion84gsl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13, 08:43 PM
  #21
Now w/ 12A SP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
PK_12A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Collinsville, OK.
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orion, thanks for the math thats good to know that for the price they aren't much more than re-speed's kit.

Sent using RX7Club for Android.
PK_12A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13, 10:54 PM
  #22
Always Wanting to Learn
iTrader: (38)
 
DreamInRotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,834
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
And that's not to mention RE-Speed's current reputation...

Warning! Contains what sounds like an advertisement, read on if you dare!

I actually emailed the owner of T3 during his R&D of the front coilovers (he had the set for the rear already, just wanted to make some for the front due to some prompting from guys like us on this forum in a different thread). He was awesome to work with, was willing to learn, and asked great questions that led to the set of front FB coilovers he has now. I informed him that the SA and FB have slightly different configurations in the front so he's now looking for a set of SA shocks and springs to make castings of.

Just from my dealings with them - I'm going to buy a set. No if's and's or but's about it, I'll be buying a set from him. I know that he'd answer any questions or concerns within 24-48 hours and would be an awesome guy to deal with.
DreamInRotary is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-13, 12:19 AM
  #23
Rotary Lifer
iTrader: (8)
 
roarinrotaryrx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lindahlish View Post
And that's not to mention RE-Speed's current reputation...

Warning! Contains what sounds like an advertisement, read on if you dare!

I actually emailed the owner of T3 during his R&D of the front coilovers (he had the set for the rear already, just wanted to make some for the front due to some prompting from guys like us on this forum in a different thread). He was awesome to work with, was willing to learn, and asked great questions that led to the set of front FB coilovers he has now. I informed him that the SA and FB have slightly different configurations in the front so he's now looking for a set of SA shocks and springs to make castings of.

Just from my dealings with them - I'm going to buy a set. No if's and's or but's about it, I'll be buying a set from him. I know that he'd answer any questions or concerns within 24-48 hours and would be an awesome guy to deal with.
+1 Emailed him as well and it took him MAYBE an hour to get back to me. Shipping is almost $300 (to my house here in Canada) on top of the almost $1500 price tag for fronts and backs but the quality seems top notch. I asked him for install photos and before and afters of the ride height and he said they were in the process of buying an SA, FB and FC and would send me photos once they took some. I also mentioned the possibility of a group buy but that would depend on how many forum members would be interested.
roarinrotaryrx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-13, 08:01 AM
  #24
Full Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These still are not really an engineered coilover, nothing against T3, but they are shocks that you or me could buy and a coilover sleeve thrown over them. Someone already mentioned the fronts are Illuminas and the rears are AGX shocks.

I know I chimed in on the last thread and got another one going on the company I work for working on building some shocks for our cars. I need to check in and see what the progress is on it, it's still been busy here. I know last I checked he was building a set for a Camaro that he is wanting to modify the build to fit our cars since they are the same basic layout.

As for the price of the T3s, they seem fair to me. $1500 for a full set of "coilovers" isn't bad at all. My advice is look to see what you want the car to be able to do and make sure the shocks are capable of doing what you need them to do. Talk to the guys and see what they are capable of and if they can be revalved or not.
TheOdditie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 03:02 AM
  #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shoreline, Wa
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roarinrotaryrx7 View Post
+1 Emailed him as well and it took him MAYBE an hour to get back to me. Shipping is almost $300 (to my house here in Canada) on top of the almost $1500 price tag for fronts and backs but the quality seems top notch. I asked him for install photos and before and afters of the ride height and he said they were in the process of buying an SA, FB and FC and would send me photos once they took some. I also mentioned the possibility of a group buy but that would depend on how many forum members would be interested.
Awesome! Did you just get a quote or did you order the set?
xMUZZx is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Supernaut
3rd Generation RX-7 (1993-2002) Vehicles
20
09-03-15 09:32 PM
hughes
2nd Generation RX-7 (1986-1992) Vehicles
4
08-29-15 01:33 PM
tsmith94FD
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
4
08-16-15 06:41 PM
GINKODADDY
2nd Generation RX-7 (1986-1992) Vehicles
0
08-14-15 05:48 PM
Carpe_Diem_7
3rd Generation RX-7 (1993-2002) Parts
0
08-13-15 05:10 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.


All content Copyright 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: