Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Old guy getting back at it.

Old 07-26-10, 01:46 PM
  #1  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old guy getting back at it.

At the age of 62 I am getting back into racing having been out of racing for about 22 years. I am buying a 1987 RX7 that was raced under SCCA rules up to two years ago. I am getting the car and a 24ft enclosed trailer and a ton of spares. So if anyone can give me pointers on these cars I'm listening. I started racing in the early 60s with a SCCA F modified now B sportsracing as the crew member then the chief. Later I got into open wheel dirtcars spent a year or two learning the cars and was the crew chief the car was a also ran but turned it into a top 10 to fifth car. Then I hooked up with a Supermodified team and in two years I was the crew chief. Took the team from 21st with the season 2/3ed through to 5th in the last 3ed of the season. I built two cars ( they are like winged sprinters) for the team over the next six seasons and we placed second (less than 10 points out). I was also the jackman for a Winston West team when they raced up here at Infineno in 1980 & 81. So I have had a lot of racing under my belt and I do know race cars I have driven a few times and never finished less than forth but I was much younger then. We did build a car to race Chump cars last Jan at Infineno and I drove the car for five laps and it over heated so that time I did come in last. I built the car and my friends did the engine but screwed around till there was only two weeks (four daysto work on the engine) till the race so go figure the engine wasn't ready to race. I hope they enjoyed all the things they did on the weekends when they could of been building the engine. At least I got to drive the car.

Last edited by Racingartist; 07-26-10 at 01:51 PM.
Racingartist is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 02:30 PM
  #2  
SCCAEP
iTrader: (3)
 
SCCAITS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingartist View Post
I am buying a 1987 RX7 that was raced under SCCA rules up to two years ago.
Which class was it raced in?
SCCAITS is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 01:18 PM
  #3  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

It was SCCA EP. I think I will join NASA and will see if I can get the wife to take a driving class with me. I have been around racing all my life and have driven but it's been so long since I drove on a roadcourse I plan to start all over as if I never saw a race car before. So if I can get the wife to take some driving class's with me then maybe when I need to fix something on the car? LOL I don't plan on making every race I think it would be a blast for me to race two or three times a year and the wife race a few time too maybe we can do an Enduro. Now that would be a blast.
Racingartist is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 02:06 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
wlfpkrcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twain Harte.. You are up in my neck of the woods (Valley Springs)

The NASA HPDE's are a good way to get your feet wet. As far as classing you might be able to do PT with NASA depending on Mods, or ST/SU. Enduro classing will be based on your race class. If you have questions let me know. I am the NorCal PT director and run the Enduros

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/p...ring_rules.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf
wlfpkrcn is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 05:15 PM
  #5  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,580
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
norcal nasa is a good group!

re the car, i think i'd get it home, and start poking around. a you need to know what you have, and B you need to make sure its assembled right, and not worn out.

if i share an example, my car passed tech (in the 90's) and upon tear down it had no nut holding the strut to the strut housing, a brake pad installed backwards etc etc.

we havent been out with a car all year, and we're all looking forward to august!
mike
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 05:36 PM
  #6  
SCCAEP
iTrader: (3)
 
SCCAITS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingartist View Post
So if anyone can give me pointers on these cars I'm listening.
Watch the temps, they are hard to keep down without the right ducting and other work. Heat will kill the motor. Make sure to have oil temp and water temp gauges and watch them closely for the first few times. http://fc3spro.com/TECH/MODS/EL/GAUGES/otemp.htm and http://fc3spro.com/TECH/MODS/EL/GAUGES/wtemp.htm

What's been done to the car? Got a list or pictures?

This forum will probably be your best resource for information. NASA is great to race with and the car can probably class in PTA if not maxed out to EP ruleset, otherwise ST3 if available if not ST2.

Have fun, watch your temps and all will be good. You will probably need to pre-mix as I bet the OMP is gone.
SCCAITS is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 04:56 PM
  #7  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

Thanks guys already some great info I think I cameto the right place.
Racingartist is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 05:01 PM
  #8  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

Cool when I pick up the car its down in the Poway Ca south of LA i will send pics


Originally Posted by wlfpkrcn View Post
Twain Harte.. You are up in my neck of the woods (Valley Springs)

The NASA HPDE's are a good way to get your feet wet. As far as classing you might be able to do PT with NASA depending on Mods, or ST/SU. Enduro classing will be based on your race class. If you have questions let me know. I am the NorCal PT director and run the Enduros

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/p...ring_rules.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf
Racingartist is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 07:14 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
wlfpkrcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingartist View Post
Cool when I pick up the car its down in the Poway Ca south of LA i will send pics
Definetly. If you have questions or need help let me know. I'm currently running a Second gen in ITS/ PT trim
wlfpkrcn is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 09:11 PM
  #10  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

When I get the car home I am sure that I will have a ton of questions. If it was a stockcar asphalt or dirt or a sprintcar or even a sportsrcaing I have worked with them all but these cars I have no idea. You will have to come by and check out the car some day and if you interested check out my web site www.rapier-art.com I am and artist on the side and I have over 100 pictures of my artwork on my site. Thanks for getting back to me and I will have to come and check your car out one of these days.
Racingartist is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 10:23 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
wlfpkrcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingartist View Post
When I get the car home I am sure that I will have a ton of questions. If it was a stockcar asphalt or dirt or a sprintcar or even a sportsrcaing I have worked with them all but these cars I have no idea. You will have to come by and check out the car some day and if you interested check out my web site www.rapier-art.com I am and artist on the side and I have over 100 pictures of my artwork on my site. Thanks for getting back to me and I will have to come and check your car out one of these days.
Massa at Monaco is awesome!
wlfpkrcn is offline  
Old 07-29-10, 12:55 AM
  #12  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

Thanks if you look at his faceshield you can just make out his face inside and see his eyes looking down the track to the next corner.
Racingartist is offline  
Old 09-09-10, 04:47 AM
  #13  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

I got the car!!! The car has Brake bias, drive to crew radio set up, new tires on the car and two stickers not mounted, three spare wheels and used tires, two spare engines, spare racing clutch set up,transponder, software with parts numbers, set up sheets to keep record of how the car was set up at the track, race list for going to the track, coils on all four corners and four wheel discs, camber plates, and so much more. The trailer tows like a dream I towed it 500 miles. I am pumped. All I have to do is install my seat ( the car came with two seats but to small) and I am installing a removeable steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Old guy getting back at it.-_9072663.jpg   Old guy getting back at it.-_9072665.jpg   Old guy getting back at it.-_9072668.jpg   Old guy getting back at it.-_9072672.jpg   Old guy getting back at it.-_9072671.jpg  

Racingartist is offline  
Old 09-09-10, 07:29 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
wlfpkrcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking Good!
wlfpkrcn is offline  
Old 09-10-10, 07:22 AM
  #15  
Old Rotary Dog
10 Year Member
 
wrankin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,461
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if it was a typo or not, but that is not a 1987 RX7. Rather it is a 1985 or earlier chassis. This is the first generation car (1979-1985). I believe that there should be a VIN stamped on the firewall that will give you the model year of the chassis.

The fc3spro.com web site listed by SCCAITS covers the 2nd generation cars, so it will not be of use to you.

It's a good car to race in and there is a lot of experience on the board in building and maintaining them. Like all production car designs, they have their share of quirks and challenges. IIRC the front strut/spindle assembly was somewhat problematic on these cars. One of the highs/lows of getting a used track car is definitely going through it and finding out what you actually have and what's been done (and what needs to be reworked). Especially in this case since the car ran in E-Prod which allows for a lot of modification.

On the plus side it sounds like the previous owner kept really good records, which is always a Good Thing.

:-)

Good luck and welcome to the board!

-b
wrankin is offline  
Old 09-10-10, 01:47 PM
  #16  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

It's not a typo the guy I bought it from bought it for his daughter and they don't know anything about racing or race cars. I know it's a first gen it's an 83 older than I would like but it is a very good car and all I want is something that I can get on the track with and have some fun and this car will do that. If I can later I will go with a newer car or another class but for now I am very happy with this one. The car came with main spares and two spare engines that need to be gone through. It came with driver to crew radios new tire two that have the stickers still on them their not mounted. The trailer is 24 ft and I towed it 500 miles from SoCal and it tows great has new tires and brakes all the lights outside and inside work.
Racingartist is offline  
Old 09-10-10, 02:09 PM
  #17  
"racerguy19"
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 139
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey nice car!! I'm doing the same as you. I'm getting back into racing after a 31 year gap and I purchased an 81 FB out of Florida and brought it north of the border to race at Mosport International raceway next season. The 12a has been removed and a TII has been installed.

I'm really looking forward to next season!!

Cheers from the north!!
racerguy19 is offline  
Old 09-10-10, 02:47 PM
  #18  
Mr. September FB 2011
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
nofords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's a first gen it's an 83 older than I would like
There are individuals that prefer to run the first gens as they can be made lighter and "some say" you can push them harder.

I myself like my 82 with modern engine and suspension. Like someone has already said was the front suspension has it's issues. Still many race as is and love them!

Good luck!

P.S. My team-mate is 71 and races an '83!
nofords is offline  
Old 09-11-10, 11:31 AM
  #19  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racerguy19 View Post
Hey nice car!! I'm doing the same as you. I'm getting back into racing after a 31 year gap and I purchased an 81 FB out of Florida and brought it north of the border to race at Mosport International raceway next season. The 12a has been removed and a TII has been installed.

I'm really looking forward to next season!!

Cheers from the north!!
Go for it!! maybe we should start the Old Guys Racers club? Good luck that is unless we end up racing each other then I hope your second. LOL
Racingartist is offline  
Old 09-11-10, 12:59 PM
  #20  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,580
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingartist View Post
It's not a typo the guy I bought it from bought it for his daughter and they don't know anything about racing or race cars. I know it's a first gen it's an 83 older than I would like but it is a very good car and all I want is something that I can get on the track with and have some fun and this car will do that. If I can later I will go with a newer car or another class but for now I am very happy with this one. The car came with main spares and two spare engines that need to be gone through. It came with driver to crew radios new tire two that have the stickers still on them their not mounted. The trailer is 24 ft and I towed it 500 miles from SoCal and it tows great has new tires and brakes all the lights outside and inside work.
you can cheat and look at the vin, but its looking like an 81-83... need more pics to narrow it down further

edit, based on the pics in the other thread, i'm going to say its an 83....

i see its also a pro7, which is cool, mine was too! mine was built around 1999-2000, so maybe ours have met before...
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 09-12-10, 10:39 AM
  #21  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA

Originally Posted by j9fd3s View Post
you can cheat and look at the vin, but its looking like an 81-83... need more pics to narrow it down further

edit, based on the pics in the other thread, i'm going to say its an 83....

i see its also a pro7, which is cool, mine was too! mine was built around 1999-2000, so maybe ours have met before...
This one was built in 1997 there is some paper work were the guy that built the car said it has 200 plus hp is that right? What is done to Pro7 cars? Mine has the suspension modified it has coils on all four corners and I can see the perches for the old leafsprings on the rearend housings. I was looking around under it yesterday and it has watts it has ground control susension and Tokico shocks. The Carb is a Super street Nikki. Not having ever worked with Mazda's I don't know if this is a good hot set up or just a warm up set up?
Racingartist is offline  
Old 09-12-10, 01:29 PM
  #22  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,580
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingartist View Post
This one was built in 1997 there is some paper work were the guy that built the car said it has 200 plus hp is that right? What is done to Pro7 cars? Mine has the suspension modified it has coils on all four corners and I can see the perches for the old leafsprings on the rearend housings. I was looking around under it yesterday and it has watts it has ground control susension and Tokico shocks. The Carb is a Super street Nikki. Not having ever worked with Mazda's I don't know if this is a good hot set up or just a warm up set up?
lol, memory is a little hazy, but here's my understanding...

in the 90's there were enough 1st gens in ITA, that they decided to start a separate class, pro7

pro7 was a spec class, designed to be a little cheaper to build/run. generally its an IT prep, except ALL the cars ran a spec spring/shock/swaybar package. you were limited to the stock 12A, stock exhaust manifold, stock trans, stock rear end gears.

really competitive class. it seems like the cars are all still around, but have been parked forever... (mine was up the rafters since 2002!) http://mazdatrix.com/pro7main.htm

since these were ITA legal, maybe yours ran both?
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 09-12-10, 10:21 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PR

Getting Old ?...NEVER!!!!

I turned 52 and after helping everyone and everybody around i decided that it was time for me to start my own stuff. Yea! I feel better not older. The only thing getting old and grumpy is my body but my brain is still rocking. My friends are retiring from racing and now is my turn.......so here we go. I got myself a dragster frame to drop a rotary or supra flyer, i got a 79 Rx7 body to drop another rotary and i just got a complete chromoly frame from a Super Gas Chevette to drop a rotary or a supra engine or whatever comes around. So do you think i feel old? No way. I have more projects i can handle but if this is what is keeping me alive then lets keep playing until my body stop working completely.

So enjoy while it last man. This happen only ones in a lifetime....enjoy it!!
Good Luck!!!

crp
crpdragracing is offline  
Old 09-15-10, 11:26 PM
  #24  
Racing artist
Thread Starter
 
Racingartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Twain Harte California
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crpdragracing View Post
Getting Old ?...NEVER!!!!

I turned 52 and after helping everyone and everybody around i decided that it was time for me to start my own stuff. Yea! I feel better not older. The only thing getting old and grumpy is my body but my brain is still rocking. My friends are retiring from racing and now is my turn.......so here we go. I got myself a dragster frame to drop a rotary or supra flyer, i got a 79 Rx7 body to drop another rotary and i just got a complete chromoly frame from a Super Gas Chevette to drop a rotary or a supra engine or whatever comes around. So do you think i feel old? No way. I have more projects i can handle but if this is what is keeping me alive then lets keep playing until my body stop working completely.

So enjoy while it last man. This happen only ones in a lifetime....enjoy it!!
Good Luck!!!

crp
Thats the way I think of getting older. I made a lot of other guys look good on tracks all around California now it's my turn.
Racingartist is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
trickster
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
20
03-29-18 02:05 PM
Junkee
New Member RX-7 Technical
2
08-15-15 01:57 PM
Clacor
Single Turbo RX-7's
0
08-14-15 09:17 AM
Marty RE
New Member RX-7 Technical
0
08-13-15 11:19 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old guy getting back at it.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: