Other Engine Conversions - non V-8 Discussion of non-rotary engines, exc V-8's, in a car originally powered by a Rotary Engine.

RX7 FC 1JZ/2JZ transmission question

Old 05-10-16, 01:56 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sanford, North Carolina
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RX7 FC 1JZ/2JZ transmission question

Hey everyone,
Currently building a drift FC, I thought I wanted rotary but after some research I decided on a 1JZ/2JZ. My main questions is honestly about the transmissions. I know the W58 is a cheaper option but weaker than the R154, but from what I understand both trans are unreliable when drifitng. So this leads me to the CD009 off the 350z. I've heard some say it's not worth the time or money but I've heard others say it's way stronger than the W58 and R154. What's everyone's professional opinions?
Billcriss is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 12:16 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The shifter is really long! The adapter kit it's really perfect btw. I've used it before. Very short gearing

Honestly the r154 is a lot easier. I'm using a tr6060 in my FD though, great trans and nice long gears, very strong but heavy and expensive
Sketch_hs is offline  
Old 12-24-16, 03:54 AM
  #3  
PUPPETFIGHT
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
rotorybullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: oregon
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bump

The w58 is an ok Trans for a daily with 400 or less hp , I'm running one until it blows.
The r154 is a great Trans for a drifter at around 550- 600hp (maybe more )
the 350z box is a good one for around 700hp. That's from the research I've been doing.
Everyone has there own opinion obviously. And feel free to corect
Me if I'm wrong
rotorybullit is offline  
Old 12-24-16, 06:00 PM
  #4  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 94
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im running one on my 2jz fc. In my opinion its a much better option than the w58/ r154. I paid 450 shipped for my transmission plus the collins adapter kit. If you do go this route make sure you get a 2005-2006 CD009 transmission which has the upgraded syncros.

It took alittle massaging on both sides of the tunnel and you will need to remove the stock trans mount brackets using a spot weld drill bit to get it to fit with the engine all the way back. Here are some pics on the shifter fitment using the serialnine shifter assembly. with the dash/ trim installed and some trimming to the inside of the dash shifter bezel, it needs to be moved back about an inch.

Name:  DSC_2165_zps1e3wi9vg.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  236.7 KB

Name:  DSC_2074_zpsct14m1uc.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  260.6 KB

Name:  DSC_2370_zpsfoew1odj.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  265.2 KB

Name:  DSC_2379_zpstrj3n3p5.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  293.1 KB
dandoe is offline  
Old 12-24-16, 06:11 PM
  #5  
PUPPETFIGHT
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
rotorybullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: oregon
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NevermiND I reread your post ha ha

Originally Posted by dandoe View Post
Im running one on my 2jz fc. In my opinion its a much better option than the w58/ r154. I paid 450 shipped for my transmission plus the collins adapter kit. If you do go this route make sure you get a 2005-2006 CD009 transmission which has the upgraded syncros.

It took alittle massaging on both sides of the tunnel and you will need to remove the stock trans mount brackets using a spot weld drill bit to get it to fit with the engine all the way back. Here are some pics on the shifter fitment using the serialnine shifter assembly. with the dash/ trim installed and some trimming to the inside of the dash shifter bezel, it needs to be moved back about an inch.







that's the best price I've heard of so far. Was gonna ask about the shifter location/length, did you have to get a different shift rod?

Last edited by rotorybullit; 12-24-16 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Read that post again
rotorybullit is offline  
Old 12-24-16, 06:20 PM
  #6  
PUPPETFIGHT
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
rotorybullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: oregon
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Danny, how far back does your motor sit?
I have my 1j about .25" from the firewall and 1/8" or so from the steering rack.
I would love to get ahold of a cd009 for test fit purposes before committing to buying one
rotorybullit is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 11:44 AM
  #7  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 94
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rotorybullit View Post
that's the best price I've heard of so far. Was gonna ask about the shifter location/length, did you have to get a different shift rod?
nope, just the serial nine unit.

Originally Posted by rotorybullit View Post
Danny, how far back does your motor sit?
I have my 1j about .25" from the firewall and 1/8" or so from the steering rack.
I would love to get ahold of a cd009 for test fit purposes before committing to buying one
Mine is about 1/4 inch from the firewall and about 3/4"" from the steering rack. i have not gotten a transmission mount made yet so the back of the trans is hanging down about an inch. you wont be able to get the transmission fully in the tunnel until the FC trans mount humps are removed.

Name:  DSC_1572_zps9mnslcjc.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  289.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1746_zps2bk3m3l3.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  218.9 KB

Name:  DSC_1101_zpshx5bk6t1.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  222.4 KB
dandoe is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 12:20 PM
  #8  
PUPPETFIGHT
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
rotorybullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: oregon
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting, guess I'm gonna have to blow my trans and get a cd009
rotorybullit is offline  
Old 10-30-17, 10:40 PM
  #9  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (29)
 
HAI-TEK7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 1,243
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
.
HAI-TEK7 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Chronumn
Build Threads
57
08-19-16 10:11 AM
Ninetyone
2nd Gen General Discussion
16
07-18-16 10:24 AM
curtreid8
3rd Gen General Discussion
4
05-16-16 07:39 PM
misterstyx69
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
13
04-28-16 06:50 PM
Firetiger262
1st Generation Specific (1979-1985)
13
04-11-16 06:30 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX7 FC 1JZ/2JZ transmission question


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: