General Rotary Tech Support Use this forum for tech questions not specific to a certain model year

More gas, same premix?

Old 07-08-19, 05:29 PM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
More gas, same premix?

Probably a dumb question, but hey, if you never ask... Once Iím using more gas, does my premix remain the same?

Getting close to what I consider my vanilla build. Engine management, fuel system upgrade, bigger injectors, hybrid or new turbo.
I have a working OMP, but still premix a little, half ounce to a gallon.

So, once my boost and gas are upped, will I be delivering plug fouling levels of oil? I suspect not, but figured iíd ask. I have searched, but canít find the answer, sorry if this has been covered.

Oh, I donít have cats now and plan on trading up the current exhaust for a nicer one, looking at the REV II from Racing Beat.
JLS 89 T2 is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 09:52 AM
  #2  
32psi+
iTrader: (42)
 
Copeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,263
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The premix ratio remains the same regardless of the gas usage in the car.

If you make significantly more power or plan to track the car, you should consider a stronger premix ratio at that time. I have heard of anywhere between 250:1 and 20:1 ratios being used with no plug fouling.
Copeland is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 11:52 AM
  #3  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Copeland
JLS 89 T2 is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 04:43 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
psyaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Posts: 456
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i use 1:125 ratio
psyaddict is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 07:38 AM
  #5  
Death to Infinite Scroll
 
peejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,735
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by JLS 89 T2 View Post
Probably a dumb question, but hey, if you never ask... Once Iím using more gas, does my premix remain the same?

Getting close to what I consider my vanilla build. Engine management, fuel system upgrade, bigger injectors, hybrid or new turbo.
I have a working OMP, but still premix a little, half ounce to a gallon.

So, once my boost and gas are upped, will I be delivering plug fouling levels of oil? I suspect not, but figured iíd ask. I have searched, but canít find the answer, sorry if this has been covered.

Oh, I donít have cats now and plan on trading up the current exhaust for a nicer one, looking at the REV II from Racing Beat.
You should probably be using more premix because apex seal loadings go up out of porportion with fuel increase. After all the factory oil dribblers are at like 400:1 at idle and 120:1 at max power... and they apply the oil directly to the surface, whereas most of the oil that you premix goes in and out of the engine without even touching metal.

Racing Beat was premixing something like 6 ounces per gallon (can't be bothered to look it up) on a high powered 2 rotor. I have found power gains up to 50:1 on a naturally aspirated engine, which will have much lower apex seal loadings than anything with a turbo.

Last edited by peejay; 07-14-19 at 07:40 AM.
peejay is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 07:39 AM
  #6  
Death to Infinite Scroll
 
peejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,735
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
The premix ratio remains the same regardless of the gas usage in the car.
That's good advice if you like losing power and wrecking rotor housings.
peejay is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 06:42 PM
  #7  
32psi+
iTrader: (42)
 
Copeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,263
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by peejay View Post
That's good advice if you like losing power and wrecking rotor housings.
Please enlighten me.

My post simply meant that the ratio is static if premixed in the tank. The OMP can be changed based on load. If you quoted the whole post, youíd see I recommend more premix with more power.
Copeland is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Relisys190 (07-15-19)
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rx7b13
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
33
07-25-05 09:07 PM
wthdidusay82
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
1
02-22-05 03:45 PM
clayne
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
2
01-25-04 11:28 PM
jtm7878
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
22
11-25-03 10:52 AM
jeff48
Rotary Car Performance
13
09-21-03 07:44 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More gas, same premix?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: