Rotary Car Performance General Rotary Car and Engine modification discussions.

G-tech pro COMPETITION

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 12:14 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question G-tech pro COMPETITION

Has anybody used this meter, what do you think of it.

I am interested in it if it works, how acurate is the tach and the programable shift light.....looks like a neat little unit.

Keen to hear what people think of it ?
Old 01-02-03, 07:30 PM
It has begun

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I have it and I like it. It is real easy to set up and ran really accurately compared to some track times. The shift light was right on but I don't shift then anyways.

We ran it in a few of my friends cars as well and it did awesome. At the track one of them was running consistent 14.6's and the G-tech said 14.68 as well. Everyone so far has nailed their times. Within .1 at most so far. The trap speeds seem a bit off though. Other that that, I love it.
Old 01-02-03, 10:19 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Good news

Lane Change, so the tack part and shift light work pretty spot on ? This is the main reason it caught my eye as for the money you get a new tach, shift light, and a performance tool all in one, how accurate is the tach in responce time etc.

The mph is it just a bit higher?
Old 01-02-03, 11:11 PM
Rotors still spinning

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I only have experience with the standard G-tech but have found it to be fairly accurate. 0-60 times are very consistent as well as 1/4 mile. The horsepower feature I don't trust since there are too many variables to take into account and you need to know the exact weight at the exact instant you want to run it. The mph is a little higher than the track though since the track acerages mph over the last 60' while the g-tech does not. Every time I've ever watched my friends speedometer it has been nearly right on where the g-tech says. It is supposed to be within a tenth of a second correct from true. Close enough for me. Just make sure you are on perfectly flat ground.
Old 01-03-03, 01:18 AM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by rotarygod
I only have experience with the standard G-tech but have found it to be fairly accurate. 0-60 times are very consistent as well as 1/4 mile. The horsepower feature I don't trust since there are too many variables to take into account and you need to know the exact weight at the exact instant you want to run it.
I've had the same experience. The standard model is a great tool for street tuning, but I don't think that the hp numbers are very accurate. The way to get around the flat road issue is to drive both up and down the street and average the times.
Old 01-03-03, 11:41 AM
It has begun

We had pretty good luck with the horsepower feature as well. One time it was a bit too high but on average it was pretty accurate within I'd say 10hp or so. The tach is almost right on once it gets going, it seems to idle higher than the tach in the car but once you are racing it is really close. Everything works well. I thought it was supposed to to G-force as well, but I have never figured out how.
Old 01-04-03, 11:34 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using one for a couple of years now.
I have found it is VERY accurate!
I have compared my 1/4 mile times at the strip with it, and it is very close.
Also the HP measurement is very accurate if you know exactly how much your car weighs.

I let some guys use it from my local RX-7 club. They had NA's.
Sometimes you don't like what it tells you!
Old 01-04-03, 12:14 PM
It has begun

My friends NA ran a 15.22 with the G-tech. He never took his car to the track but that hurt his feelings. Hahahhahaha.... but it doesn't lie, so tough ****. He now has to walk around knowing he drives a 15 sec. car.
Old 01-06-03, 12:08 AM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Received 416 Likes on 296 Posts
Low 15's is good for an N/A, so knowing he has a 15 sec. car is a good thing! Most N/As I see are solid mid-high 16 second cars.

The reason the G-Tech's MPH reads higher is because it shows you the actual MPH at 1320 feet, while a dragstrip gives you an average over the last 60 feet of track.
Old 01-06-03, 07:25 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was the last 100' for mph?
Old 01-06-03, 03:54 PM

I have had experience with the G-Tech Pro and the newer G-Tech Pro Comp. The tach on the Pro Comp never works that well for me. It would never replace a real gauge. Both of these work good for 1/4 mile timing. I am still trying to fiddle with the calibration on the Pro Comp. I thought that "calibrating" it was a PITA (you have to shake the unit and hold/tilt it different directions, all I could think the whole time was WTF?). The g-force reading on the Pro Comp is nice (it has an arrow with a number), but the number seems to bounce a little (especially at low readings).

I have a Race-Technology AP-22 too. It isn't flashy like the Pro Comp, but IMO, it is very accurate, very simple to use and it has 1/4, time between speeds, braking time and distance, continuous g-force, and power measurement.
Old 01-07-03, 10:21 AM
Airflow is my life

Where can I get info on the AP-22?
Old 01-08-03, 01:13 PM

http://www.race-technology.com/WebPa...eterIntro.html
Old 01-13-03, 09:15 PM
MIA

I’ve been meaning to post on this extraordinary piece of equipment for awhile now, but just liked to kind of keep it to myself . I was one of the first few people that bought the Gtech Pro competition when it was released a year or so back. It amazes me till this day, how accurately this ridiculously cheap device can get you HP & TQ ratings, 1/4 mile, reaction, 60 ft times, and measures lateral Gs all from a cigarette lighter. This is the ultimate user friendly, no installation required racers best friend. I’ve met the 2 guys at Telsa that designed the G-Tech, and they know their stuff. They help me learn how to use it, install it, and showed me what there future plans for it would be. The software on it is updateable via Internet, which means more features can be added along the way, and runs can be stored and downloaded to your PC or Laptop. Truly amazing stuff, and very accurate from my experiences with it as well. The times it was producing on my reaction, 60 ft ,and 1/4 mile times were identical to what I was running before when I dragged race (shitty ). The last time I spoke to Jovo, they were working on an added feature where the Gtech would be able to store runs for over a minute, making it a valuable tool for non drag racers, and auto crossers as well.

- Marvin
Old 01-14-03, 02:38 PM
13B N/A POWA!

I'll probably buy one...it's better than the seat of the pants dyno.
Old 01-18-03, 12:02 PM
MIA

Those of you who are running these by the way, what 1/4 times, trap mph, and how much HP & TQ areyou guys getting off the machines? most of my 1/4 times are pretty consisent and on the money, however, my HP and TQs seem to be too low or way off at times. I wish I could up load them, but the ver. 2 doesnt let upload yet. just curious.
Old 12-03-03, 02:48 PM

I bought one last month before adding a new flywheel and doing some dyno tuning. I have found it to be very accurate for times, speeds, and RPMs. When compared to the dyno, it consistently ran about 10% less due to the fact that it figures in wind resistence, and the drag caused by the four tires to give a measure of actual functional horsepower while underway. It did measure the difference accurately following the flywheel installation. It is important to get your weight accurate to get good numbers...but this is not difficult with minimal effort.
Old 12-10-03, 02:20 PM
3rd motors a charm I hope

i think i will buy one, once the snow melts. ive always been interested in this thing, just never bought it. wasn't sure how accurate it was.
Old 12-10-03, 07:01 PM
Displacement > Boost

Originally posted by KiyoKix
I'll probably buy one...it's better than the seat of the pants dyno.
I agree! I bought one of the pro ones for $44 on ebay and it was a bargain. It is valuable for testing mods and fuel curve tweaks, ignition timing fiddling and other tinkering that ME students can't help but do to their 7s.
Old 12-11-03, 02:29 PM
DRIVE THE ROTARY SPORTS

i have the regular g-tech and have been having problems with it since i bought it. it seems to be off by like .3g's so i have to tilt it to compensate, and i think this may ruin its accuracy. also, the mounting suction cup would fall off every 30min. im dissastisfied to say the least w/ my gtech. id like to try the gtech pro, but am a little wary of the build quality from my expierience w/ them....
Old 12-11-03, 03:32 PM
Displacement > Boost

There might be a pot screw inside your gtech to adjust the g readings such that the meter reads 1.00 g when held vertically and -1.00 when held vertically downward. Mine was showing .85 and -1.15 when I first got it, so I opened it up and found the screw. I turned it about 1/16 of a turn to zero it out. You might try that on yours.
Old 12-11-03, 04:44 PM
what 7

Isn't this thread about the competition version? The pro has been out for years, you can get one for 50 bucks... I have one, I don't consider it a tool, just a toy.