2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

lighter flywheel--worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lighter flywheel--worth it?

when replace my clutch, should i go for a lighter flywheel?
any feelings on this topic?
Old 10-13-02, 01:08 PM
White Comet

Id do it if I was already changing out my clutch. Havent been in any 7's with a lightened flywheels but in my 240's days, one of my friends replaced his and it seemed to make a pretty big difference, his car looked like it was revving up much quicker.
Old 10-13-02, 01:13 PM

yeah i heard it allows you to rev alot faster, but too light of a flywheel and its really hard to get going out of first.
Old 10-13-02, 01:17 PM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts
On a street car, there's no point. If drag racing, stick with the stock flywheel. Other types of racing (autoX, etc.) may benefit from the lighter flywheel.
Old 10-13-02, 01:18 PM
White Comet

And a little more difficult going up hills etc. Also for turbo cars I hear its better to avoid going with too light of a flywheel. I'll look up some info on that and get back to you......
Old 10-13-02, 01:21 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

I am happy with mine, 12 lb Bonez aluminum flywheel
Old 10-13-02, 04:08 PM
Driving RX7's since 1979

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On a street car, there's no point.

I beg to differ.

So long as you don't go lighter than lightened steel, you get more horsepower to the WHEELS and still maintain a decent measure of drive ability.

My first (and still have) 2nd Gen is a '88 Vert. Love the car, but it is the most wanting for more power 2nd Gen made. Free flowing K&N Filter, free flowing exhaust tweeks, AND a lightened flywheel has made ALL the difference in the world in improving the drive ability of my Vert.

For daily driving, however, do not.... I repeat DO NOT go aluminum. WAY too light for decent driveability in freeway stop and go traffic.
Old 10-13-02, 05:36 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

You guys are a bunch of wimps :p . I've had two different cars, an awd talon and my rex...both turbo cars and both with 9 lb flywheels. There is NO loss in driveablity. Turbo spool up is quicker and throttle response is awsome. I used the talon to commute to detroit and back from toledo. The only thing that sucked was the heavy pressure plate. If you've never tried it, then don't comment on it.
Old 10-13-02, 08:00 PM
"Just Looking".......

I've had it for 3+ years and love it...would do it again. A buddy of mine got the same one on his '87 TII and also loves it, he's kicking C5 *** at the auto-X btw.
Old 10-13-02, 08:21 PM
Rotors still spinning

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I love the aluminum flywheel for street use. I have had the light steel one too but I love the aluminum one. I have one on my big single turbo 2nd gen and am going to put one on my GSL-SE. When my 2nd gen was still n/a the flywheel was one of the biggest improvements that I ever made. Toss up between that and the header. Everything else feels minimal compared to the gains of each.
Old 10-14-02, 08:17 AM

from the reasearch i have done It seems like the RB 17# flywheel is the way to go, or any 17# flywheel, im planning on getting one...

my 2 cents....
Old 10-14-02, 09:01 AM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I am gonna disagree with Aaron as well, Mazda themselves used a 15% lighter flywheel on the series 5 cars over the series 4 cars. If there was no gain to be made they wouldn't have bothered.

I feel that since really torque is no differnet between the two series, that the perceived HP increase is more from the flywheel than anything else.
Old 10-14-02, 09:13 AM
Eat, sleep, work, mod.

don't listen to them...the aluminum RB flywheel is completely fine for street use. I've had it in my car for the past 9 months w/ a centerforce dual friction clutch and the car gains a LOT of top end and makes it far easier to match revs...honestly you'll have to get used to matching revs for a few days since the car is much more sensitive and you'll end up over-revving. Starting from a dead stop takes a day or so of getting used to and honestly I don't even notice it anymore. The flywheel is easier on synchros and a GREAT mod for a street car, as someone else mentioned it is the best power-mod since my downpipe/cat replacement. Highly recommended...
Old 10-14-02, 09:23 AM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,509 Posts
Here's the deal -

First off, yes, I have driven 2nd gens with both steel and aluminum flywheels - this ain't just hearsay .

The biggest problem with a light flywheel is it's $100 worth of cool that costs $400 and is a royal bitch to install. It's really not a cost effective mod. They're great, don't get me wrong, they're just not $400 great.

If you're going to get a flywheel, get an aluminum. Period. If you're spending that much money, get the most benefit. The steel flywheels are nice, but there's really not as big of a benefit as the aluminum, and if you're paying that kinda money, you want the best bang for the buck.

An aluminum flywheel is VERY streetable. I taught an old girlfriend of mine how to drive a stick on my 10th anniversary - aluminum flywheel, very stiff pressure plate, big turbo, street ported...as far as you can get from an "easy to drive" car. She was driving smoothly within about a half hour, and had no problems with it.

Mazda put a heavy flywheel on the car because it makes the car a lot easier to drive. An easy to drive car sells a LOT easier than a tricky car. If Joe Car Buyer goes up to a Mazda dealer to test-drive an RX-7 and stalls out the car every time he goes from a stop, he's not gonna like it. Remember, Mazda is in the business of selling cars - they want him to like it.

If you actually got on the Internet, found the RX-7 forum, registered, and are reading this, you're far past Joe Car Buyer. You're an enthusiast, and you're interested in getting the most from your car. You won't have ANY problem driving a car with an aluminum flywheel.

That's all ya need to know .

Dale
Old 10-14-02, 09:27 AM
What Subscription?

Keep your eyes open. I picked up the RB 9.5# for 275 shipped
Old 10-14-02, 09:46 AM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Originally posted by banzaitoyota
Keep your eyes open. I picked up the RB 9.5# for 275 shipped
Was that new or used?

BTW, Jun has a chromoly flywheel that's pretty reasonably priced - barely under $400. The advantage is chromoly is as light as aluminum but harder than aluminum - kinda neat.

Dale
Old 10-14-02, 09:54 AM
What Subscription?

Like new!
Old 10-14-02, 11:34 AM
Driving RX7's since 1979

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmmmmmm

I can't help but notice that endorsers of the aluminum flywheel don't live in areas where stop and go driving is more common than not (ie Los Angeles, NY City (where thread starter lives)).

Make your own conclusion.

Old 10-14-02, 11:45 AM

where i live its deffinally stop and go, and factor in the fact that i work in manhatten..i might just go for a really good clutch and see how it is. lightend fly's are pricey as well.
Old 10-14-02, 11:57 AM
Need donor car in Fairfax

dont you have to replace the core of the aluminum flywheel too?
Old 10-14-02, 12:14 PM
What Subscription?

The friction face is replaceable, saves $$ in the future
Old 10-14-02, 03:22 PM
Rotors still spinning

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't help but notice that endorsers of the aluminum flywheel don't live in areas where stop and go driving is more common than not
Uh...ever been here to Houston? Plenty of stop and go driving. Not all of us Texans ride horses ya know! I think almost everyone here lives where there is plenty of stop and go driving. I wish I didn't! I drive about 80-90 miles a day and all of it is in city. I love my aluminum flywheel. The stiffer clutch is more of a burden to hold during rush hour than dealing with the effects of the flywheel. Aluminum all the way!!!!
Old 10-14-02, 03:39 PM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Yeah, I would second that - a heavy pressure plate is tougher in slow stop and go traffic than a light flywheel. That heavy pressure plate wears on the calf muscles after a while!

Dale
Old 10-14-02, 03:56 PM
"Just Looking".......

Re: Hmmmmmmm

Originally posted by HOZZMANRX7
I can't help but notice that endorsers of the aluminum flywheel don't live in areas where stop and go driving is more common than not (ie Los Angeles, NY City (where thread starter lives)).

I drove my TII w/ alum flywheel for 3 years in Portland, OR. Hills, bumper to bumper, freeway, mountains, city, etc. I've put about 70K on this clutch/aluminum flywheel also, and still going strong.

If memory serves, your experience was with a 1st gen and the original post (Black NY FC?) drives a TII. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Ignore the "wive's tales" - go aluminum...

P.S. "assumption is the Mother of all fuc*ups".

Last edited by FEDREX; 10-14-02 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-14-02, 11:59 PM
Ready to Rock

Go for it...I love my RB light steel flywheel. I think it is actually easier to drive, and it definitely revs quicker. A little pricey, but if the clutch is already out, I'd definitely recommend it.

Quick Reply: lighter flywheel--worth it?