Rotary Car Performance General Rotary Car and Engine modification discussions.

NRS Rotorsports ceramic seal test results

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engine should be going back together soon with the 3mm 1pc and in a week or so I will get him the set of 2pc 3mm so the testing can start asap
Old 09-21-07, 12:28 PM

NRS 3mm 2 pc Ceramic Power Seals are ready

Well the 3mm 2 pc seals are complete, let the testing begin!

Gaby will have the base dyno figures next week on the 3mm 1 pc seals and once completed we will install the 3mm 2 pc seals for a direct comparison.

The 2mm 2 pc seals will be about another week for completion as I have some detailing to finish as well as QC on them. Pete from Rice Racing will begin the "street" portion of the testing very shortly after receiving them.

I will be in contact with Issy from Select Maz soon to arrange the 2 pc seals for the "road race" portion of the testing.

Below are pics of the 3mm 2 pc seals

Old 09-22-07, 06:29 PM
IAN
Rotary Reborn!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm just curious. Why are there different shades of colours in that batch?

Also I've heard of someone else up your way (Alberta) has also made ceramic seals. Is this true? Or are you the only one.

Thanks,
Ian

I've seen a motor pulled apart that had ceramic seals after almost a full race season. These seals did not have a mark on them and appeared to be extremely friendly to the housings. i have no idea where these seals came from but they were the same colour of yours.
Old 09-22-07, 06:46 PM
And the Revolution...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wooo hooo, Now I just need to rob that bank.....

Nah, I'm still waiting on some money to come thru and then you'll have one set less.
Old 09-22-07, 06:54 PM

There have always been slightly different shades in the material. This does not in any way affect the performance.
The only other ceramics I have seen here were some that came from a lot of core engines purchased by a guy in Calgary. They were green in color and were definetly not as good as these ones.

The seals you saw from the tear down could be mine I don't know.
Old 09-22-07, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DarkKnightFC
Wooo hooo, Now I just need to rob that bank.....

Nah, I'm still waiting on some money to come thru and then you'll have one set less.
Ha ha, I thought you would be happy they're done!
Old 09-29-07, 05:47 PM

NRS 2mm 2 pc Ceramic Power Seals are ready

Here's some pics of the 2mm 2 pc seals.

Old 10-06-07, 11:01 AM

2pc seals on the way down under

Well, the 2 pc seals are on the way down under. I have equipped Pete with a set of 3mm 2pc and a set of 2mm 2pc. Plus he has some customer built engines that have 2mm 1pc and 3mm 1pc seals in them. So basically he will have 4 engines for testing all using the same set-up and all the work done by Pete, porting, tuning etc. Pete will record all the data both short and long term over these engines.

Also on the way to Pete is a 2mm 2pc set for Scott Flemming's car built by Select Maz. Issy tells me Scott's car as well as Ryan's car have been running the same set of 1pc NRS seals for the past 3 years. Ryan runs to 10,000 rpm regularly. Scott... 3 time National Champion and recently won his class again.

A soon as I can arrange with Gaby I will get the 3mm 2pc seals to him for the Colon car, should be next week.
Old 10-06-07, 02:41 PM
And the Revolution...

Hey glass do they run oem housings in that select maz car? And do they swap them out with new ones every season? You might not know but I figured I'd try.

Chris
Old 10-06-07, 07:12 PM

Yup new oem housings, same housings over the 3 years.
Old 10-07-07, 05:28 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Hello Sven

Do u also sell seals for 3 rotor engines? Or would i need to buy 2 2rotor sets?

I have decided to go with a 3 rotor setup instead of a 2 rotor PP turbo setup. So if it's possible to buy for a 3 rotor it would be great.

JT
Old 10-07-07, 10:03 AM

Actually you can buy as many as you need, 1 seal, 5 seals, 10 seals it doesnt matter. So yes you can get them for your 20B without extra's.
Thanks
Old 10-07-07, 03:14 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

that's good news sven

i decided to go the 3 rotor way instead of 2 rotor pp engine, since i found out i need some more weight in the front of the car. :P

JT
Old 10-11-07, 01:14 AM
Rotary Freak

Glassman, can you evuate on the springs? Is there any premature spring wear when you dismantled any of the motors with these seals in them?

Jay7...
Old 10-11-07, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jay7 Nyc
Glassman, can you evuate on the springs? Is there any premature spring wear when you dismantled any of the motors with these seals in them?

Jay7...
Not after developing the hard faced springs. Check out pg 3 for pics of them compared to stock springs.

Last edited by Glassman; 10-11-07 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 10-16-07, 04:24 PM
Just in time to die

Originally Posted by Mr rx-7 tt

Theres only one issue with that whole thing and believe me it's not critisism. Spot on tune and solid motor don't account for other mechanical failures that can and do happen even to the best out there. Don't even mention the guy on the street that is far from the best out there. Ceramics can break, and do break, and that means chances for damaged turbine wheels, rotors, and rotor housings. So If you had to deal with a mechanical failure, and wind up having to blow something and your just a kid with a limited budget, wouldn't your prefer to pay the labor on only a seal that bends versus a expensive seal plus potentially a housing, a rotor and a turbine as well? Suddenly your bill just got a whole lot higher. To the average guy on the street $600 bucks for seals and not having to worry about replacing his BB turbine wheel or a rotor housing on top of just replacing a seal is a honest, upfront, feel it now, savings. I'm tired of the arguement to be honest, of band aid this and that, be it seals or AI, or whatever, and believe me when I sincerely say this is in no way knocking you or your product. I've seen ceramics(not yours personally) break and take out internals. To say they wont is being dishonest, and I'm not saying you are, or that you are claiming it. I've heard people say unbreakable seals wont handle boost, yet I know guys running around 50psi on them overseas. That is more than enough for the street guy. Will they wear as well as ceramics over the long haul? I highly doubt it. But honestly how many backyard built cars(which or the majority) last for the long haul. Most are just pieces of junk at this point. (It sucks, I see it daily.) I think you make a great product, I think you have proven it more than adequately. I think each product be it yours, or others each have their merits and their markets. I think it only does a diservice to you to mention others products. And I'm not endorsing yours, or whoevers seals. I'm just making a observation.
Old 10-16-07, 07:07 PM

Hey, I'm just shedding a different perspective here highlighting what my seals have over every other steel seal including Factory seals........they don't bend. Do I have your permission to say that

Originally Posted by Zero R
I'm tired of the arguement to be honest, of band aid this and that, be it seals or AI, or whatever, and believe me when I sincerely say this is in no way knocking you or your product. I've seen ceramics(not yours personally) break and take out internals. To say they wont is being dishonest, and I'm not saying you are, or that you are claiming it.
Right, not knocking my product or saying I'm dishonest.........then why say it. Seeing how this is your first post on this thread it looks like that's exactly what you came on here to do. You are right about one thing I have never claimed that.

If someone hides behind their own words in the very next sentence then they would be considered a coward. Believe me when I say I'm not saying you have ever been or are a coward.

I think it only does a diservice to you to mention others products.
How does highlighting the ceramics benefits over steel seals doing me a disservice? The whole point of ceramics is to compare their advantages to other steel seals. That's what makes them different and set's them apart.

Hey, if I am way off on your motives then I apologise for that. I won't however apologise for having a superior product.
Old 10-16-07, 07:49 PM
And the Revolution...

What the hell does AI have to do with anything? What are you bandaiding? You're saying AI and ceramics are a temp solution to what, eventual engine failure? Well hot damn, as far as I know they don't make an engine that doesn't break when you shove too much boost down its throat. AI and ceramics allow you to push that envelope even further before the engine failure though. Are you saying that when bendable seals fail they don't mess anything up? As far as I'm concerned and I'm sure anyone building an engine worth a **** is behind me in saying that I'd rather have the seals that last longer and are more resistant to detonation. And if I can do that even safer by running a little bit of water into the intake then **** yes I'm gonna do it. Heat is the major killer of rotaries and the main reason behind detonation, preignition, knock, yadda yadda, I want the seals that handle the heat, and the water or meth that kills the heat. That might just be me though.
Old 10-16-07, 07:53 PM
And the Revolution...

Oh and for the record, regular joe on the street doesn't have a BB CHRA, and if he does, he's serious, and he's gonna get quality products I hope. I'm not gonna spend that much on a turbo and not increase the margin of safety by injecting a little water. I'm gonna do it on my BNR and they're not as expensive as a lot of folks are doing.
Old 10-16-07, 09:24 PM
Just in time to die

What the hell does AI have to do with anything? What are you bandaiding? You're saying AI and ceramics are a temp solution to what, eventual engine failure? Well hot damn, as far as I know they don't make an engine that doesn't break when you shove too much boost down its throat. AI and ceramics allow you to push that envelope even further before the engine failure though. Are you saying that when bendable seals fail they don't mess anything up? As far as I'm concerned and I'm sure anyone building an engine worth a **** is behind me in saying that I'd rather have the seals that last longer and are more resistant to detonation. And if I can do that even safer by running a little bit of water into the intake then **** yes I'm gonna do it. Heat is the major killer of rotaries and the main reason behind detonation, preignition, knock, yadda yadda, I want the seals that handle the heat, and the water or meth that kills the heat. That might just be me though.

Wow

Oh and for the record, regular joe on the street doesn't have a BB CHRA, and if he does, he's serious, and he's gonna get quality products I hope.
I must sell all my kits to only serious racers then. Out of the 20 odd kits a month I do, one, maybe two guys are "serious racers" So unless you have a inside line on who on this board is buying what turbo's for their cars I fail to see your reasoning. I've played with both types of seals on numerous motors have you?

It was a simple point I was making obviously above your head for some reason. I'll make it simple for you.

So you have your spot on tune and need not worry about detonation. If that is the case what is your need for a expensive seal? Stock 2 piece seals can easily handle the wear of mileage and power of 90+% of users on this board. It's been done over and over and over. Are they a perfect solution? Hardly... So the other arguement is what... why bother with seals that don't break? It's band aid fix? How many 700whp+ 13b's have you put together? Ever had a pump, or injector fail during a hard run? What good did your spot on tune and perfect built motor do you then? So what benefit did I gain when the ceramic breaks? I spent more on a seal and now possibly more on the parts it took out. (Anyone who has been around enough of these knows sometimes you win, sometimes you lose when it comes to wether or not your broken seal will take anything else out. No seal when it breaks can be guaranteed to not damage turbines or other parts. ) Or the other option... possibly I spent less on a seal that handles the power and if I have such a failure I don't have to play the wait and see what all I damaged game. Am I losing out on the wear properties of ceramics? Sure. Could there be other benfits I would lose out on as well? Sure. But I didn't lose a expensive seal or the parts that most likely got damaged as well on top of the labor. What you choose to not read is I'm not knocking Sven or his product. Nor am I endorsing someone elses, which is hardly what can be said of some in this thread. I'm simply saying to say the other side has no merit is not needed. Sven makes a good product and it sells itself by be a proven performer. Sven I have no problem with you getting these posts removed. It wasn't my intention for it to turn into a pissing match with forum nitwits.

-S-

Last edited by Zero R; 10-16-07 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 09:36 PM
Just in time to die

Originally Posted by Glassman
Hey, I'm just shedding a different perspective here highlighting what my seals have over every other steel seal including Factory seals........they don't bend. Do I have your permission to say that

Right, not knocking my product or saying I'm dishonest.........then why say it. Seeing how this is your first post on this thread it looks like that's exactly what you came on here to do. You are right about one thing I have never claimed that.

If someone hides behind their own words in the very next sentence then they would be considered a coward. Believe me when I say I'm not saying you have ever been or are a coward.

How does highlighting the ceramics benefits over steel seals doing me a disservice? The whole point of ceramics is to compare their advantages to other steel seals. That's what makes them different and set's them apart.

Hey, if I am way off on your motives then I apologise for that. I won't however apologise for having a superior product.
Wow I missed this post. I've actually recommended your seals to those that would benefit from them the most, or are looking strictly for ceramics, road coarse guys running in diasio's and such. You couldn't be more off base but that's fine, **** away, typical forum crap as usual, as far as the hiding behind words/coward thing? Please.... it's called making sure you understand that I was being objective not judgmental obviously something you did not give in kind.

-S-
Old 10-16-07, 10:08 PM

as far as the hiding behind words/coward thing? Please.... it's called making sure you understand that I was being objective not judgmental obviously something you did not give in kind.

-S-
Right but immediately you felt like I called you a coward didn't you?? So did everyone else I'm sure who has read this. That's my point, your words are suggestive even if that's not what you meant.
For the record I do not think you are a coward and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

If you do not see the benefit of torque gains, better sealing, maintained sealing, lighter, stronger, much less to non existant wear to rotor housings, rotor grooves and apex seals alike then I am lost to convince you. They are definitely worth every penny as an upgrade.

As you say I am way off on your intentions, if this is true then you already have my apology.
Regards
Old 10-16-07, 10:22 PM

Ever had a pump, or injector fail during a hard run? What good did your spot on tune and perfect built motor do you then? So what benefit did I gain when the ceramic breaks?
Dave Gibson did and it didn't cost him a penny because they didn't break I bet he's convinced of the benefits.

Originally Posted by fc3s.org
When we first finished the car, we spent 3 days on the dyno trying to figure out different issues, most of which were things related to our intake manifold. Some pin holes and things like that were the first problem. Then after we sorted those out, the car would detonate, and I mean detonate hard. Sounded kinda like an automatic shotgun. I was freaking out, thinking that for sure the motor was done and I had lost a seal with all of that going on. The end result was that 2 of our 4 secondary injectors that were brand new were only pushing out 200cc instead of 1000cc, and they were both on the front rotor! So we corrected that, and the motor was fine! There is no doubt in my mind that we would have lost the engine without these seals in there.
Old 10-16-07, 11:58 PM
Saiga-12 Power!

Sven, perhaps you should send Sean a set of seals to test to prove him wrong?
Old 10-17-07, 09:59 AM
Just in time to die

Right but immediately you felt like I called you a coward didn't you?? So did everyone else I'm sure who has read this. That's my point, your words are suggestive even if that's not what you meant.
For the record I do not think you are a coward and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
I can totally see/understand how it would look like that and the point is taken.

If you do not see the benefit of torque gains, better sealing, maintained sealing, lighter, stronger, much less to non existant wear to rotor housings, rotor grooves and apex seals alike then I am lost to convince you. They are definitely worth every penny as an upgrade.
And I stated those are proven benefits and those are the ones that sell your product.

As you say I am way off on your intentions, if this is true then you already have my apology.
Regards
Accepted, and my intention was only that the arguement of bending versus breaking and how that saves money is a poor one for you. Ceramics can and do break. At that point it is a gamble wether or not it was a bad one or a good one, and how much damage was done. And if there was damage at considerably more expense. I applaud the fact that you've even stated they have broke. It shows a good amount of honesty/transparency on your part.

-S-

Quick Reply: NRS Rotorsports ceramic seal test results