2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

If you ever get your oil cooler flushed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-02, 03:21 PM
Haven't we ALL heard this

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you ever get your oil cooler flushed...

You may want to think about the oil cooler works. It has this thermostat in it. When the oil gets to about 140° F it extends a little shaft. This shaft plugs a very small hole. When that hole is plugged oil is forced to flow through the oil cooler. When the hole is not plugged (Oil cooler than 140° F) oil flows through just the end tank where the cooler lines are.

When I got my first rebuilt engine I took it to a radatior shop to get flushed. The handed it back to me with the thermostat still installed and never removed. He removed it and flushed it again.

My whole point is if DO NOT plug that small hole some how when you flush it nothing is forced through the oil cooler. You will just flush the end tank.

My first engine died because of oil contamination. My guess is it came from the improperly flushed oil cooler.

My solution? You could modify an oil cooler thermostat to be always open. So the whole cooler was flushed. What I did was get a small wooden dowel rod. I then made one end look like a pencil (Pointy). I then took the thermostat out and put the pointy end in the hole. Then screw that big plug on top of it. Now the hole is plugged and the cooler will get flushed. I am taking my cooler to an aircraft repair shop. They flush oil coolers all the time.

Just passing on what I have learned.

James
Old 03-10-02, 05:37 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Wood will eventually deteriorate in hot oil.&nbsp A friend of mine figured out how to remove the stock oil thermostat and use a bolt and nut combination with washers to plug up the hole so oil passes through the oil cooler core full-time.

-Ted
Old 03-10-02, 05:49 PM
I wish I was driving!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Any cases of this valve failing? That could lead to some very hot oil temps and some very bad engine results.
Anyone convert to an aftermarket cooler, such as a B&M supercooler (actually for trannies, 28,000 GVW, but is lower pressure drop design). It has a wider face and may cool better, I dunno. Anyone with results? I may try it if no one shouts no, just to see if I can get the oil temps lower (with an accurate gauge of course.)
Sean
Old 03-10-02, 05:53 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, I've heard of it failing...

-Ted
Old 03-10-02, 05:55 PM
I wish I was driving!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Ouch. So removal of this valve or switch to a better cooler that doesn't have a valve may be a good engine life mod? Something to consider, for sure...
Sean
Old 03-10-02, 05:58 PM
I'm a boost creep...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Even if you upgrade your oil cooler, you should always have a thermostat for it. Oil that's too cool isn't protecting your engine as well as it should be, especially as your engine is warming up. I can't see why you'd want to disable the stock thermostat on a street car. Besides, I think the wooden dowel mod Wankel7 suggested was just temporary while the cooler was being flushed. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-10-02, 06:25 PM
Haven't we ALL heard this

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, thats all my idea was for. Just flushing the cooler. Hope it helps.

James
Old 03-11-02, 12:05 AM
SOLD THE RX-7!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, I got mine flushed a few months ago. I wonder how they did it...