Build Threads
Sponsored by:

88 Vert DD project

Old 11-15-18, 05:15 PM
  #1  
rusty everything
Thread Starter
 
series1rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nanuet,NY
Posts: 76
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
88 Vert DD project

Hi everyone!

I recently bought this beauty, 100% original 88 vert with 90k. I am dailying the car now and love every minute of it. It will need a rebuild soon as it is burning coolant, but still i love the car.


So far i haven't done anything real major, new clutch new tires and an exhaust.

What do you guys think? my plans are noting too major, better shocks and springs, brakes, bushings, different exhaust cause this one is way too loud, new top...etc
series1rx7 is offline  
Old 11-16-18, 02:31 AM
  #2  
One Team One Fight
 
RustyPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you do your rebuild do you think you will port it?
RustyPizza is offline  
Old 11-16-18, 05:26 AM
  #3  
10AE Restoration Guy
iTrader: (91)
 
mazdaverx713b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermilion Ohio
Posts: 16,440
Liked 104 Times in 102 Posts
I would consider a Racing Beat exhaust. Excellent quality and tone. If you are planning on using is as a daily driver, I wouldn't do too many mods, I would focus on the reliability aspect . A quality exhaust is a good modification, but all poly bushings can produce a rough ride with some suspension noise and vibration. Would love to see some pics of the car.
mazdaverx713b is offline  
Old 11-16-18, 05:29 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
WJM ROTARIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
Posts: 539
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Welcome to forum
WJM ROTARIES is offline  
The following users liked this post: WJM ROTARIES
series1rx7 (11-16-18)
Old 11-16-18, 09:51 AM
  #5  
rusty everything
Thread Starter
 
series1rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nanuet,NY
Posts: 76
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyPizza View Post
When you do your rebuild do you think you will port it?
Probably not I want to get some sort of gas mileage since its my dd and i do 600-800 miles a week. It would be fun to though
series1rx7 is offline  
Old 11-16-18, 09:57 AM
  #6  
rusty everything
Thread Starter
 
series1rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nanuet,NY
Posts: 76
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaverx713b View Post
I would consider a Racing Beat exhaust. Excellent quality and tone. If you are planning on using is as a daily driver, I wouldn't do too many mods, I would focus on the reliability aspect . A quality exhaust is a good modification, but all poly bushings can produce a rough ride with some suspension noise and vibration. Would love to see some pics of the car.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, I have an obx header with some universal obx mufflers welded up to the y-pipe, i would have left it stock, but the welds were cracked and the obs was laying around. Ill post more pics when i get home tomorrow
series1rx7 is offline  
Old 11-16-18, 09:58 AM
  #7  
rusty everything
Thread Starter
 
series1rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nanuet,NY
Posts: 76
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WJM ROTARIES View Post
Welcome to forum
thanks
series1rx7 is offline  
Old 11-24-18, 06:27 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: California
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks awesome man, I have nothing to contribute but I want to follow this. Considering an FC vert because there's nothing but sunshine where I'm from haha.
Max Chen is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 01:34 PM
  #9  
rusty everything
Thread Starter
 
series1rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nanuet,NY
Posts: 76
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its been a little while but finally got it running yesterday, rebuilt with the secondaries bridged currently using the stock computer, need to get it to idle better. other than that it runs great, drove it back to NY from Maryland in the snow last night with no issues!
Attached Thumbnails 88 Vert DD project-engine.jpg  
series1rx7 is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 10:03 PM
  #10  
Polishing Fiend
iTrader: (139)
 
CrispyRX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 3,295
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry, off topic, but related, how much modification can the stock NA ECU handle? I'm doing the exact same thing ...picked up an '88 red vert a couple months ago that needs an engine rebuild. Can I port it when i crack it open, and use the stock ECU with a RB full exhaust? I have a FD also and wouldn't even think about touching

the engine without using an aftermarket ECU!
TIA,
Crispy
CrispyRX7 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 12:29 AM
  #11  
rusty everything
Thread Starter
 
series1rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nanuet,NY
Posts: 76
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrispyRX7 View Post
Sorry, off topic, but related, how much modification can the stock NA ECU handle? I'm doing the exact same thing ...picked up an '88 red vert a couple months ago that needs an engine rebuild. Can I port it when i crack it open, and use the stock ECU with a RB full exhaust? I have a FD also and wouldn't even think about touching

the engine without using an aftermarket ECU!
TIA,
Crispy
All I did was wire up a airfuel gauge and put a eBay fuel pressure regulator and replaced the pulsation damper with a gauge to set the pressure higher. Not making a whole lot more power so eventually I'm going to do something with the ECU but it works fine and it's not running lean. Nice vert I wish my Paint was that clean.
series1rx7 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 02:40 PM
  #12  
Polishing Fiend
iTrader: (139)
 
CrispyRX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 3,295
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by series1rx7 View Post


All I did was wire up a airfuel gauge and put a eBay fuel pressure regulator and replaced the pulsation damper with a gauge to set the pressure higher. Not making a whole lot more power so eventually I'm going to do something with the ECU but it works fine and it's not running lean. Nice vert I wish my Paint was that clean.
ah ok, so you bumped up the fuel pressure. The poor man's tuning tool. Understood. Thanks.

as for the paint on my "new" car. Let's just say it looks good from 20ft.🤣 And this is better side of the car!

regards,
crispy
CrispyRX7 is offline  
Old 02-25-19, 05:27 PM
  #13  
rusty everything
Thread Starter
 
series1rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nanuet,NY
Posts: 76
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haven't done much lately. Just little things: I got a new window regulator finally and replaced all the shocks last weekend. I guess you can say the rear shocks were worn...
Also I finally tracked down all the rattles in the top, they were because of a bent piece on the targa top. I'll post pictures of those later.
series1rx7 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Aaron Cake
Canadian Forum
22
06-23-05 10:46 AM
Aaron Cake
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
65
05-31-05 10:00 AM
vaughnc
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
1
02-13-02 09:50 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 Vert DD project


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: