3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

HKS EVC 5 installation

Old 04-30-09, 11:17 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HKS EVC 5 installation

Hi guys, I just bought a HKS EVC 5 boost controller and I need your knowledge about how to install it on a FD with sequential twin turbos.

How must I connect it, I saw the installation diagram on JKS website but I don't understand how to use it with the FD.

Is it a dual or a single wastegate ?

Have someone already install this kind of product on a stock FD ?
Jeff RX7 is offline  
Old 04-30-09, 11:23 AM
  #2  
No more G6
10 Year Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Force13B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nipomo, California
Posts: 1,935
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have a wastegate contoller and a turbo precontoller and both need to go into the boost contorller. The lines that come off the left side of both need to go into your boost controller the lines that come off the right need to be capped.

this might help you out
turbo_system_simplified.jpg?t=1241108507
Force13B is offline  
Old 04-30-09, 11:53 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, thanks, is possible to indicates the EVC on the diagram, I have O I B inlets in the EVC stepping motor.
Jeff RX7 is offline  
Old 04-30-09, 03:25 PM
  #4  
RX7FD3S
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay, North Cali.
Posts: 1,484
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe this will help? after you hook everything up. u can either rework your vaccume hoses (capping off the 2nd nipple on both actuators that are routed to the stock solenoids) or simply unplug the electronic plugs on both of your stock solenoids and it'll keep those shut.

RX7LINK is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 10:45 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, great thanks mate that was exactly what I am looking after !!!
Jeff RX7 is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 01:14 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I juste done it... but I've more than I want.

I choose 0,80 bar for mode A and I obtain 1,47 bar with WOT !!! Is it 0,8 more than the stock mode or really 0,8 ???

Must I let restrictor pill in the hose, if yes = in the IN or OUT one ?
Jeff RX7 is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 06:03 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
10 Year Member
 
poop2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff RX7 View Post
I juste done it... but I've more than I want.

I choose 0,80 bar for mode A and I obtain 1,47 bar with WOT !!! Is it 0,8 more than the stock mode or really 0,8 ???

Must I let restrictor pill in the hose, if yes = in the IN or OUT one ?
did you unplug the solenoids? you must unplug or cap off the lines or you will over boost. Also, did you do the initial settings properly? what did you set as your base boost?

someone else please confirm, but i am pretty sure that you shouldnt use a restrictor pill and let the EVC have full control.
poop2003 is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 07:10 PM
  #8  
RX7FD3S
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay, North Cali.
Posts: 1,484
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
read my post :P. unplug your stock solenoids and try again
RX7LINK is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 02:38 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solenoids were unplug.

I think I use a smallest vacuum filter ont the IN hose.

It's like the wategate does'nt operate. How can I be sure the EVC stepping motor is OK because I bought it on ebay as an used one ?

Thanks guys ;-)
Jeff RX7 is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 09:24 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
10 Year Member
 
poop2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff RX7 View Post
Solenoids were unplug.

I think I use a smallest vacuum filter ont the IN hose.

It's like the wategate does'nt operate. How can I be sure the EVC stepping motor is OK because I bought it on ebay as an used one ?

Thanks guys ;-)
the IN hose should be using 6mm line and the smallest filter is for the 4mm vacuum...maybe it's leaking?
to check the solenoid, turn key to ignition only (dont start engine) and switch your EVC on and off. the solenoid should make a buzzing sound.

trouble shoot guide in EVC manual for uncontrollable boost:

incorrect initial set up - do a reset all and start again

incorrect bypass valve selected - with EVC on, check that you have the correct on chosen

hose is cracked or come off - check all hoses for leaks and correct plumbing

vacuum filter is blocked - check and replace if needed
poop2003 is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 10:29 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Irvine
Posts: 463
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to install my boost controller soon, this will help.
spiritrmazda is offline  
Old 05-11-09, 05:03 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem solved = thank you

I've installed a 4mm vacuum filter (the only I have) at the 6mm place. I found a 6mm one and replaced the 4mm = all is OKAY !

It is working fine now, a little boost creep when the secondary turbo is pushing, but nothing grave.

Great thanks guys....
Jeff RX7 is offline  
Old 05-11-09, 07:28 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
10 Year Member
 
poop2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff RX7 View Post
Problem solved = thank you

I've installed a 4mm vacuum filter (the only I have) at the 6mm place. I found a 6mm one and replaced the 4mm = all is OKAY !

It is working fine now, a little boost creep when the secondary turbo is pushing, but nothing grave.

Great thanks guys....
it's good to know you've got it all fixed!
the replacement HKS filters are quite expensive, has anyone found a good alternative to the 6mm and 4mm ones?
poop2003 is offline  
Old 05-27-09, 04:28 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 713
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RX7LINK View Post
Maybe this will help? after you hook everything up. u can either rework your vaccume hoses (capping off the 2nd nipple on both actuators that are routed to the stock solenoids) or simply unplug the electronic plugs on both of your stock solenoids and it'll keep those shut.


So i need to unplug the electronic plugs ( wastegate and precontrol plug: see in picture below?) no need to cap anything in this case?
and smallest(4mm) hose/Boost to intake manifold ( the one use for aftermarket boost gauge ?
Thanks to confirm
MILOS7 is offline  
Old 05-27-09, 04:37 PM
  #15  
RX7FD3S
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay, North Cali.
Posts: 1,484
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
yeah, just unplug those 2 plugs and will keep those vaccum closed. no need to cap

its not the cleanest way to do it. but it works
Attached Thumbnails HKS EVC 5 installation-fuelsimplify3jpghksevci2.jpg  
RX7LINK is offline  
Old 05-27-09, 05:00 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 713
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RX7LINK View Post
yeah, just unplug those 2 plugs and will keep those vaccum closed. no need to cap

its not the cleanest way to do it. but it works
I don't understand japanese but it seems that unplug these electrical plugs is the way to go if we consider the installations instruction from HKS.

Thanks a lot.

I have plan to buy this boost controller because i have enough to see fluctuate my boost with cold and hot weather ( only controlled with apexi power FC)
MILOS7 is offline  
Old 05-27-09, 06:15 PM
  #17  
RX7FD3S
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay, North Cali.
Posts: 1,484
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MILOS7 View Post
I have plan to buy this boost controller because i have enough to see fluctuate my boost with cold and hot weather ( only controlled with apexi power FC)

if you're getting boost creep from cold weather, the only way to solve it is porting the wastegate or add some sort of restrictor plate to your exaust pipe. eventhough there's tweaks you can do to the EVC to lower your boost slightly. you will still get boost creep.
RX7LINK is offline  
Old 05-28-09, 11:53 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 713
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RX7LINK View Post
if you're getting boost creep from cold weather, the only way to solve it is porting the wastegate or add some sort of restrictor plate to your exaust pipe. eventhough there's tweaks you can do to the EVC to lower your boost slightly. you will still get boost creep.
actually , no boost creep only lower boost that it must be ( in hot weather)

just order hks evc ez2 , but what is the hks evc installation kit? ( 4503-009US for fd3S)

need i this kit for proper install?
MILOS7 is offline  
Old 05-28-09, 01:27 PM
  #19  
RX7FD3S
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay, North Cali.
Posts: 1,484
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MILOS7 View Post
actually , no boost creep only lower boost that it must be ( in hot weather)

just order hks evc ez2 , but what is the hks evc installation kit? ( 4503-009US for fd3S)

need i this kit for proper install?
i don't know. maybe it comes with a harness for plug and play? no idea

i just got the regular boost controler where i spliced few wires onto the ECU harness
RX7LINK is offline  
Old 05-28-09, 05:53 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
10 Year Member
 
poop2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MILOS7 View Post
actually , no boost creep only lower boost that it must be ( in hot weather)

just order hks evc ez2 , but what is the hks evc installation kit? ( 4503-009US for fd3S)

need i this kit for proper install?
i'm pretty sure the installation kit is for the twin turbo set ups. it comes with some extra hoses and T's as the standard kit only has enough parts for single turbo set up
poop2003 is offline  
Old 05-28-09, 05:54 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
10 Year Member
 
poop2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MILOS7 View Post
I don't understand japanese but it seems that unplug these electrical plugs is the way to go if we consider the installations instruction from HKS.

Thanks a lot.

I have plan to buy this boost controller because i have enough to see fluctuate my boost with cold and hot weather ( only controlled with apexi power FC)
you have to unplug it or else the boost will sky rocket out of control!!!
poop2003 is offline  
Old 06-02-09, 03:03 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 713
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by poop2003 View Post
you have to unplug it or else the boost will sky rocket out of control!!!

GOOD TO KNOW!


just received my ecv ez2, but which setting should I put in my power fc commander?

I've already selected option 2 in boost setting : primary: 0.90 secondary : 0.80

But since my target boost is 0.9 bar with my new evc ,
I would to know what i need to do whith my power fc, leave this way ( option 2) or anything else?


Thanks
MILOS7 is offline  
Old 06-03-09, 04:34 AM
  #23  
Junior Member
10 Year Member
 
poop2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MILOS7 View Post
GOOD TO KNOW!


just received my ecv ez2, but which setting should I put in my power fc commander?

I've already selected option 2 in boost setting : primary: 0.90 secondary : 0.80

But since my target boost is 0.9 bar with my new evc ,
I would to know what i need to do whith my power fc, leave this way ( option 2) or anything else?


Thanks
your setting of 0.9 and 0.8 in the PFC is the boost fuel cut limiter setting. if the PFC detects boost higher than this setting, it will fuel cut. there is some buffer to this number, but i am unsure what it is.
if you want to run 0.9bar, i would suggest setting both primary and secondary on PFC to 0.9
poop2003 is offline  
Old 06-03-09, 03:13 PM
  #24  
RX7FD3S
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay, North Cali.
Posts: 1,484
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MILOS7 View Post
GOOD TO KNOW!


just received my ecv ez2, but which setting should I put in my power fc commander?

I've already selected option 2 in boost setting : primary: 0.90 secondary : 0.80

But since my target boost is 0.9 bar with my new evc ,
I would to know what i need to do whith my power fc, leave this way ( option 2) or anything else?


Thanks

once you installed a aftermarket boost controller with its own solenoids. it will bypass the factory ones. and pfc will no longer control boost
RX7LINK is offline  
Old 06-03-09, 04:15 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 713
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RX7LINK View Post
once you installed a aftermarket boost controller with its own solenoids. it will bypass the factory ones. and pfc will no longer control boost
Thanks for the clarify!
MILOS7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HKS EVC 5 installation


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.