79 SA HEI conversion? - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum



1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

79 SA HEI conversion?

Reply
 
 
Old 05-18-17, 09:24 AM
  #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
79 SA HEI conversion?

I swear every time I search for something, I come up with nothing. I know for a fact this has been done before. If someone has a link that can direct me to the HEI setup to get away from points, that would be greatly appreciated.
Aaron Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 09:25 AM
  #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
Original stock 12A from 79 I should mention. Just to clear thing's up.
Aaron Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 09:46 AM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 477
Look under DLIDFIS in search,you'll find what you need. You'll need 81-85 FB distributor and likely replace your coils,maybe purchase used from a member here in classifieds. Have more questions,ask away. Welcome to the site btw.
GSLSEforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 10:08 AM
  #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLSEforme View Post
Look under DLIDFIS in search,you'll find what you need. You'll need 81-85 FB distributor and likely replace your coils,maybe purchase used from a member here in classifieds. Have more questions,ask away. Welcome to the site btw.
I was kinda figuring I needed a FB dizzy. I have I've buy the plugs for the dizzy's are different. I want to upgrade the coil packs anyways to a higher output. Just gotta figure out the wiring. I couldn't find the wiring diagrams, but I'm sure if I keep digging I will find something. Thanks for the info brotha!
Aaron Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 03:49 PM
  #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 477
Is it your intention to convert from points ignition to factory type FB electronic ignition,or something more advanced using HEI modules to fire the ignition coils. Which way you want to go will determine the info you're provided with.
GSLSEforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 07:35 PM
  #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
I have a dizzy from a 83FB12A that I want to use to get away from the points system originally in my SA.
Aaron Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 08:57 AM
  #7
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Western NY
Posts: 73
I recommend the dual leading ignition direct fire with HEI modules if you want to go that route after the FB Disty install. I just did this to my 85 and the car runs so much smoother. Went with blaster 2 high vibration coils in the stock mounts for the leading, and a petronics flame thrower for the trailing. Factory igniter for the trailing should suffice. I may add another HEI down the road if I have any issues.
nerd racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 09:39 AM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 477
That's what i originally thought op was talking about,beginning to think he wants only to mimic oe electronic ignition setup. Have asked op specifically which way he wants to proceed,i'm not clear on his response other than he has a FB distributor to use. Don't know if dist is complete with igniters or not. Would hope for a more specific answer to point him in right direction for acquiring what he needs.
GSLSEforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 09:44 AM
  #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
I haven't been very clear, that's true. I guess all I want to do is get away from points. The ignition upgrade a far as coil packs will come later. I'm not very financially stable at this point in time. I have a 240sx as well as an RX7 so as you might know I have a very expensive project taste hahaha.
Aaron Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 09:58 AM
  #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Powell View Post
I haven't been very clear, that's true. I guess all I want to do is get away from points. The ignition upgrade a far as coil packs will come later. I'm not very financially stable at this point in time. I have a 240sx as well as an RX7 so as you might know I have a very expensive project taste hahaha.
foxed.ca/rx7manual will get you oe wiring diagrams. You can make your own harness or maybe search 1st gen classifieds for a used engine harness which you can take what you need from. Get a pair of used FB ignition coils,should be able to convert on a budget. May consider changing to FB spark plugs also.
GSLSEforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 06:51 PM
  #11
RX for fun
iTrader: (13)
 
Siraniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Socal
Posts: 15,887
its a very simple rewire in fact this is much better than the aging factory ignition system. just get a 30/40 amp automotive relay and wire the terminals like this:

30=alternator B terminal (add a 30amp fuse)
86=any ignition wire (12v with key on ON position)
85=ground
87=trailing and leading coil positive terminal (or you can use 87 and 87a separately so each coil will have an independent wire) then connect the wires to the igniter


Or you can use 87A to trigger the relay for each independent leading igniters if youre going with DLIDFS.

fuel pump is a simple rewire alsop
Siraniko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 06:32 AM
  #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraniko View Post
its a very simple rewire in fact this is much better than the aging factory ignition system. just get a 30/40 amp automotive relay and wire the terminals like this:

30=alternator B terminal (add a 30amp fuse)
86=any ignition wire (12v with key on ON position)
85=ground
87=trailing and leading coil positive terminal (or you can use 87 and 87a separately so each coil will have an independent wire) then connect the wires to the igniter


Or you can use 87A to trigger the relay for each independent leading igniters if youre going with DLIDFS.

fuel pump is a simple rewire alsop
Not certain op skillset regarding wiring & is only reason suggested obtaining factory harness either to use as is or for use of specific connectors(igniters at dist.) or to use as a model to fabricate his own. Siraniko,suggestion of use of both 87 & 87A output terminals of relay to power leading/trailing ignition system separately is sound in theory except for fact that this relay in particular does not work that way. All the terminals you show in your wiring suggestion are correct except for 87A. On this relay,12 volts is available at 87A in relay normally open(no power applied to relay,as in key off)position & when relay energized(key on) voltage is transferred from pin 87A to 87. This means 87A is battery hot at all times & whatever is hooked to this terminal will be energized with key off & will have no power when relay turned on (key on). Hella 4 pin relay #HL87118 is a 40 amp dual 87 pin output relay and what is recommended here. It originally was used for feeding a pair of hi power driving lamps & is well suited for this ignition application. In a recent DFI conversion on my SE i used this same relay.
GSLSEforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 10:48 AM
  #13
RX for fun
iTrader: (13)
 
Siraniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Socal
Posts: 15,887
it works for just fine with my set-ups including direct fire using factory igniters
Siraniko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 01:59 PM
  #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 477
Don't wish to hijack op thread or confuse him. Siraniko,am certain of operation of 5 pin relay you're referring to. Work with them often, including them in circuits i've designed just for the way they work. Used in many factory automotive designs for same reason. What i can't know is how you have it wired.
GSLSEforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 02:28 PM
  #15
RX for fun
iTrader: (13)
 
Siraniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Socal
Posts: 15,887
when 86 is energized by the ignition wire, the switch closes to allow voltage fromterminal 30 to run on both 87and 87a terminals. the only constant 12v will be from baterry to 30 terminal. this is just a regular relay from corner parthouse like autozone so im not sure why 87a will have a constant voltage. my apologies if i missed it from your post as im using an ancient phone.

Last edited by Siraniko; 05-20-17 at 02:31 PM.
Siraniko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 08:13 PM
  #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 477
No worries, think of a seesaw pivot between 87/87A terminals. No exciter voltage to relay,spring tension holds pivot blade to 87A terminal and is connected to terminal 30. 12 Volts applied to exciter coil(86),coil magnet overpowers spring and pivots blade to 87 terminal. Bosch/Hella sold patent on that relay years ago and subsequent builders must build them in same format. There is a wide variance in quality of construction of these relays which might explain the operation of yours. I stick with above named relays,cost more,made better,much less chance of failure=no comebacks.

Last edited by GSLSEforme; 05-20-17 at 08:26 PM.
GSLSEforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 11:40 AM
  #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLSEforme View Post
Not certain op skillset regarding wiring & is only reason suggested obtaining factory harness either to use as is or for use of specific connectors(igniters at dist.) or to use as a model to fabricate his own. Siraniko,suggestion of use of both 87 & 87A output terminals of relay to power leading/trailing ignition system separately is sound in theory except for fact that this relay in particular does not work that way. All the terminals you show in your wiring suggestion are correct except for 87A. On this relay,12 volts is available at 87A in relay normally open(no power applied to relay,as in key off)position & when relay energized(key on) voltage is transferred from pin 87A to 87. This means 87A is battery hot at all times & whatever is hooked to this terminal will be energized with key off & will have no power when relay turned on (key on). Hella 4 pin relay #HL87118 is a 40 amp dual 87 pin output relay and what is recommended here. It originally was used for feeding a pair of hi power driving lamps & is well suited for this ignition application. In a recent DFI conversion on my SE i used this same relay.
I have made a few harnesses before for friends and myself and two tucked harnesses for a couple of 240sx's. I always solder the connections when wiring splicing is needed (which I hate doing because it creates more resistance). I will probably end up building my own harness from scratch that way I can get rid if the old solenoid connectors from the rats nest and carburetor so I don't have to botch the stock one. I get my harnesses (for non fuel injected vehicles) from ezwiring.com and just mod as needed and wrap in a loom.

I'm just new to converting from points is all. The SA has, what I believe to be the ignitors? On the fender well by the coil packs, which, I believe I can remove once I swap away from points, correct?
Aaron Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:17 PM
  #18
Waffles - hmmm good
iTrader: (1)
 
t_g_farrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Huntersville, N.C.
Posts: 6,612
I thought I posted earlier, but checkout the link in my Sig for the HEI ignition setup. You already have the FB dizzy you need for it.
t_g_farrell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-17, 08:27 AM
  #19
RX for fun
iTrader: (13)
 
Siraniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Socal
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Powell View Post
I
I'm just new to converting from points is all. The SA has, what I believe to be the ignitors? On the fender well by the coil packs, which, I believe I can remove once I swap away from points, correct?

you must have a 1980 so its already an electronic but not then same style dizzy as 81-85
Siraniko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 01:41 AM
  #20
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 434
I don't know if you have found this thread in your search, but this may be what you are looking for.
https://www.rx7club.com/1st-generati...fidfis-894669/
hawk 7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.


All content Copyright 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc.