NE RX-7 Forum Serving ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, PA, OH, WV, MD and VA

Does Acosta suck or is it just my luck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Acosta suck or is it just my luck?

To make it simple i gave 3K to ACOSTA MOTORSPORTS in Jersey for parts that never got delivered to the shop. I never get a phone call back when i leave a message. When i go down their i end up getting into a fight with them about my money and nothing ever gets done. They keep bullshitting me about my money and giving me the run around and its already been about 5 months(im really patient). I am starting to get really annoyed and i am thinking about getting a lawyer and taking them to court??

Have any of you guys had bad experiences over therE?? What the hell should i do?
Old 09-12-07, 11:53 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard good and bad about them. You should definitely get a lawyer involved. Do you have proof that you gave them $3000 in cash?.. Sucks that you have to go through this, good luck.
Old 09-13-07, 11:36 AM

Wow, that does suck, i used them a while back and they were fine, a little expensive but ok.
Sorry to hear that, but anyone who has had 3000 of my money would have a lawyer knockin
Old 09-13-07, 01:02 PM
amp
old yella

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts
ive never heard anythin good about em...
saw one of their vacuum hose jobs done to a local fd...
bottomline... im not sure how they stay in business and generate clientele with that kind of work...
Old 09-13-07, 01:16 PM

Get A Lawyer Or Smith & Wesson!!!
Old 09-13-07, 07:35 PM
NY'S #1 FC

help me howard

call help me howard lol , never know u might get through and u aint got to pay no lawyer
Old 09-13-07, 07:55 PM
White chicks > *

Depends on who you dealt with. Marcos is really a nice guy and is straight up, he always had returned my call and answered my questions when i had them. I used them since the day i got my FD. They are a BITTT expensive but at least they know what they;'re doing (again depending on who actually works on your car). They switch mechanics like underwear. Only good guys is the young dude, joe i believe and the father acosta. However i think joe quit a while ago, cause i havent seen him past couple of times i been there. Its a shame, hes a good mechanic.
Old 09-13-07, 08:27 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys this shop is been changing names and location every couple yrs, so keep that in mind I have know them since back in 97 at Mothers Performance and only 1 mechanic was good back then (Rotary)and he left and ever since then it went down hill, so be care full.
Old 09-13-07, 08:41 PM

[Get A Lawyer Or Smith & Wesson!!![/QUOTE]

lol, that sucks thou. hope you get your money back.
Old 09-13-07, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1QWIK7
Depends on who you dealt with. Marcos is really a nice guy and is straight up, he always had returned my call and answered my questions when i had them. I used them since the day i got my FD. They are a BITTT expensive but at least they know what they;'re doing (again depending on who actually works on your car). They switch mechanics like underwear. Only good guys is the young dude, joe i believe and the father acosta. However i think joe quit a while ago, cause i havent seen him past couple of times i been there. Its a shame, hes a good mechanic.
The thing is i've known marcos sr and jr since i was about 11 years old. Ever since they were racing at englishtown with the mx6 that they had. My cousin got a **** load of work done by marcos sr and my cousin moved back home. When an oppurtunity came up to work with marcos i was cool with it. i went to the bank got the money went right over there and put down the deposit. Ever since then they have been hasseling me over the money and my cousin told me before hand that i shouldn't have left that much money because they keep doing **** with peoples money instead of ordering parts. I wish i would've really listened to him now. I have the receipt saying that i put the deposit down and stuff but it just annoys me. I don't care what i get i don't even want my money back i just want my damn intercooler and acouple other various parts that they can't even deliever on. Its pissing me off but i already called my lawyer today and he is going to get back to me tomorrow. I tried reporting them to the better buisness burea of new jersey but their corp name isn't Acosta motorsports so i don't know who to file the claim under.

I was just hoping that i wasn't the only one getting screwed by the. I knew that things were messed up when i went in and some kid was threatening to call the cops on howard because he gave money to him to order an ECU and the kid was getting dicked over on that. This is BULL ****
Old 09-14-07, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by trinimazdax
call help me howard lol , never know u might get through and u aint got to pay no lawyer

This might be the best solution
Old 09-14-07, 08:37 AM
Original Gangster/Rotary!

Received 539 Likes on 326 Posts
Wow, I had no idea this problem was still ongoing......
Old 09-14-07, 06:11 PM
White chicks > *

Originally Posted by 2003330i
The thing is i've known marcos sr and jr since i was about 11 years old. Ever since they were racing at englishtown with the mx6 that they had. My cousin got a **** load of work done by marcos sr and my cousin moved back home. When an oppurtunity came up to work with marcos i was cool with it. i went to the bank got the money went right over there and put down the deposit. Ever since then they have been hasseling me over the money and my cousin told me before hand that i shouldn't have left that much money because they keep doing **** with peoples money instead of ordering parts. I wish i would've really listened to him now. I have the receipt saying that i put the deposit down and stuff but it just annoys me. I don't care what i get i don't even want my money back i just want my damn intercooler and acouple other various parts that they can't even deliever on. Its pissing me off but i already called my lawyer today and he is going to get back to me tomorrow. I tried reporting them to the better buisness burea of new jersey but their corp name isn't Acosta motorsports so i don't know who to file the claim under.

I was just hoping that i wasn't the only one getting screwed by the. I knew that things were messed up when i went in and some kid was threatening to call the cops on howard because he gave money to him to order an ECU and the kid was getting dicked over on that. This is BULL ****

If you have a receipt, its a legal document to use against them. So you have nothing to worry about basically about getting your money back. Just get your money back and go to another rotary mechanic.

And i think you mean harold, not howard, harold is the sorta muscular dark skin guy thats always at the front computer or answering the phone or outside looking around.
Old 09-15-07, 07:48 PM
Mr. Nice Guy

And i think you mean harold, not howard, harold is the sorta muscular dark skin guy thats always at the front computer or answering the phone or outside looking around.
I think they were referring to "Help Me Howard", the segment sometimes on channel 11 eyewitness news. But also a sorta muscular dark skinned guy.
Old 09-16-07, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2003330i
I tried reporting them to the better buisness burea of new jersey but their corp name isn't Acosta motorsports so i don't know who to file the claim under.
Your lawyer will be able to help, but if you have their information i.e. phone number, address, owner's name you ought to be able to go to the local town/city hall and get their cooperate name. I there might be a fee and definitely lots of waiting and some paper work.

You cold also try reverse lookup to get their information, google reverse lookup or address reverse lookup.

Also, just toss any information you have on em into google and see what comes up. If they are doing this to other people you might find someone else who has already started suing them and has acquired the information you need.

Good luck, maybe we should organize a rotary meet all drive up to the shop park out side revving our engines at em to make a point.

Good luck.
Old 09-16-07, 11:13 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

good things?

how could u say good things about them?
Old 09-16-07, 05:30 PM

i have never really heard good things about them. good luck and go to a new mechanic. sad to say but i trust the white man wit my motor. it sounds bad but ive never trusted my own people. sad but it is what it is.
Old 09-16-07, 07:36 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by jorx7
i have never really heard good things about them. good luck and go to a new mechanic. sad to say but i trust the white man wit my motor. it sounds bad but ive never trusted my own people. sad but it is what it is.

Doesn't matter their race, white , black, spanish, or asian. If they're going rip you off, it will happen.
Old 09-16-07, 07:48 PM

I know with my lawyer it will be a a simple case. The only thing is he isn't cheap I am just pissed off.
Goodfella knows whats going on because i had to bring my car to him to see what work he can do for me since ACOSTA dicked me over.
I always wondered why the same cars were in the shop every single day.

Yea i meant harold is the dick that keeps messing with me. I would much rather deal with marcos sr or jr but they are never there. I can't say anything bad about them because atleast they don't bullshit me they just try helping me. Harold on the other hand just gives me answers like "I dont know what to tell you man" I am like WTF are you talking about cut me a check for the amount of money it says you have in the computer. He doesn't understand what i am saying though. Its a shame
Old 09-16-07, 09:26 PM
White chicks > *

Originally Posted by njstreetrx7
how could u say good things about them?
Because i had good experiences with them??

Just because more than one person had problems with them, doesnt mean everyone did or does otherwise they would have been shut down a while ago.

Every business has their problems, maybe its bad customer service for them but i dont have any major complaints.
Old 09-16-07, 10:10 PM

Before you go ahead with you law suit I suggest trying these steps.

Step 1: If possible get more correct information about Acosta.
A whois search on their website was useless, they use a proxy registrar. (Kinda shady.)

This site talks about finding information about small companies.
http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/company/c2tprob0.htm

Start searching for sites about finding business information.

Also, find the Bronx city hall there ought to be a number you could call for additional help. If they don't have the information they might be able to tell you if there is a local office you can check.
You can try looking at www.nyc.gov

Relax. Breath. You will get through this.

Step 1a. - Im not sure how old you are, but I'm guessing teenager. You might want to get an adult (i.e. 30+) to come with you next time you go or just skip to step 2.

Step 2: From what you say I would address a complaint to Marcos (to both sr or jr, or just Mr. Marcos) write it out using business letter form (Link 1, Link 2, Link 3, Link 4(Might be useful, might be junk)) and address it to them.
Make sure to include:

The amount owed.
That you want a refund in full, immediately, (no ordering parts now)(Note: )
What the original transaction was to be.
That you have been coming to the shop and been given the run around. (if possible include date, times, and person/people you talked to.)
That they are being rude and unprofessional.

Word it somewhat forcefully but remain polite, use correct grammar/spelling/etc. Use a spell checker and have someone proof read your letter. Ask if your lawyer would be willing to proof read your final draft(make sure it's good before sending it to him). Include a photocopy of your deposit receipt. Print this out, mail it return receipt or with some other form of tracking. You will want to be able to prove that it arrived at their doorstep. Of course keep a copy and the original receipt for yourself.

Legally once a letter reaches a business's mailbox (if you can prove it reached it and was addressed to the proper person/department) it is THEIR responsibility to make sure it gets to the right person.

This letter will also help you if you end up having to go forward with your lawsuit.

Don't forget to breath.

Step 3: Ask if your lawyer would send a letter with his letter head. He will need a copy of the receipt.

You are breathing, right?

Lawsuit info:

You can place a lawsuit either where you live or where they are. I just checked the limit for small claims court in Bronx is $5000 small claims court and in Suffern, NY is $3000. You always sue for the limit.

Keep in mind laws are different in different locations. I.e. You would not use the same lawyer in Suffern as you would if you decided to sue in the Bronx. The laws and procedures are different.

In small claims court you can add money lost as a result of this transaction and the following lawsuit. So, lawyers fees, gas money, tolls, train fair, lost time from work, etc. (You will need proof of each cost incurred)

You can try and call your lawyer, to see how much a consultation is as opposed to representing you. You can talk to him about your money concerns and limits.

Remember when suing you sue you always sue for the limit.
Here is a place to start:
Bronx
https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/index.html
Suffern
http://www.suffernvillage.com/page.php?id=23

Short article on NYC small claims:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/pub...l_claims.shtml

NYC's small claims booklet (PDF format)
http://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/small...mallclaims.pdf

NYC small claims information summary card (PDF format)
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/formsdocs/wp/LS602.PDF

NYC how to start a Small Claims suit online video.
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts...llclaims.shtml

Help finding a lawyer:
https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/lawyers.html

Start search and reading. Knowledge is your friend here. The more you know about suits and local law (either Suffern or Bronx, once you decide where you are doing this) the better off you will be.

Also, remember to breath. You will get through this.

(Hope this helps, but I've run out of time, so there may still be spelling, grammar, copy/paste, or other mistakes. Sorry.)
Old 09-17-07, 08:55 AM

Hmm edit button seems to be gone.

If you decide to talk with them again, optional step 1a above. Don't get angry. Don't shout.

The only thing you need to say is "I want an immediate refund, in full."

You know where the your money is, they have it. You want it back. Parts are no longer an option, you no longer wish to deal with them.

If he doesn't know what to tell you. You say "tell me, I'll go get your money right now."

Don't start insulting him/them.
Old 09-17-07, 12:00 PM

i think 3000$ is still under the small claims court -

here's the link in case you want to file it without a lawyer (http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/civil/civ-02.htm

anyhoos - from there, if you get a favourable judgement, and i believe you will from the circumstances you are describing, and my own personal known experiences with the place - you should be able to get a default judgement

(i'm not a lawyer, this is not an opinion from a lawyer, you should seek counsel if you believe that a contract has been breached)

but if you are really getting a lawyer, you should sue for both time + money considering how much time you've wasted going there, etc.
Old 09-19-07, 04:05 AM

$3000 is small claims in Suffern, ny, $5000 in Bronx, NY. He can file in either.
Old 09-19-07, 03:32 PM
mazdaspeed7

acosta does all my work and sr. is good and you get what you pay for$$$$ but the same type of thing happen to me but harold play stupid for a while but they did the work not all and i had credit and i bring my 7 to them and i use my credit so i don't pay hold on to the recepit now i get my own parts and have them install! good luck i waited 6mos for easy work, my 7 missed rotorfest06 and almost 07 for bull i learned my lesson get your own parts and deal only with sr.

Quick Reply: Does Acosta suck or is it just my luck?