Power FC Forum Apex Power FC Support and Questions.

Power FC FC Tune preview

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FC Tune preview

If you have read this thread you know that i am working on a replacement software for FC Edit.

The Honda version is almost done so i thought i post a preview. Do not use this version to tune your Power FC, only about 75% works for the FD3S.

You can download a preview here:
http://www.fctune.com/download/FCTune_0_35.exe

FC Edit Honda file:
http://www.fctune.com/download/B18Cv4.10.Dat

You can also open an FD3S file but some settings will be displayed wrong.

There are a total of 128 models and i have to do them step by step now.
The FD3S version should be ready by the end of the month.

Again: This is a preview, not a release.

Andre
Old 06-30-05, 06:01 PM
Nzo
TougeTard

Woo, exciting! Eagerly awaiting a Nissan version. Whats the progress like on the box end of the project?
Old 07-01-05, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nzo
Woo, exciting! Eagerly awaiting a Nissan version. Whats the progress like on the box end of the project?
These are the scheduled release dates for the software:

07/17/05: Honda
07/31/05: Mazda
08/07/05: Nissan
08/14/05: Toyota
08/21/05: Subaru
08/28/05: Mitsubishi

FC Tune is free and is a drop in replacement for FC Edit. I will also permanently add new features to the software and i will install a forum on fctune.com where everyone can request features.

The box should be ready in august. There will be 2 versions, one that is just a direct connection between the PC and PFC and one with an additional connector for the Commander and 2 Step Revlimiter, Anti-Lag, Gear based ignition and injection, Shift light, Boost Switch, Analog inputs that can used to correct ignition and injection (EGT etc.). Target price is USD 199. Compared to the USD 399 for the Datalogit that's a fair target price i think and a 50% drop for a better box and software (i hope you like FC Tune better than FC Edit).

But i don't want to advertise the box here, actually i never wanted to sell a box but i was asked many times to do it.

I would appreciate some feedback about FC Tune. Do you like the user interface with one window for each setting? I will also make 2 tabbed windows with all fuel and ignition settings.
Old 07-01-05, 07:08 PM
Nzo
TougeTard

Just some basic comments, would be nice to have each button have a popup label on mouseover. I see right now the fuction is displayed in the status bar at the bottom but this only appears when you click and hold down the mouse button on a function button. I think the interface would also look a little smoother if windows such as Rev/Idle were an exact size to display the contents. Since this window is not resizeable anyway, might as well make it only big enough to display the data instead of having the extra border around the cells.

I do like the individual windows as opposed to the massive tabbed pages of fc edit because with the windows you will be able to compare multiple features of your choosing side by side instead of having to constantly switch between tabs.

I really like the fact that the row and coulmn header both depress when you select a cell so you can see its exact coordinates. Dunno if fc edit is like this as well but its very helpful.

Also 3D map displays would be nice but I think I remember you mentioning it was in the works.
Old 07-03-05, 02:00 AM

very impressed, good work and no doubt endless days spend coding this lovely interface. you will make lots of people using the powerfc very happy im sure cant wait for nissan release
Old 07-09-05, 06:07 PM

Added support for 13B-REW:

http://www.fctune.com/download/FCTune_0_40.exe

Please try to download the calibration from the PFC and save it as an FC Edit file and than open it in FC Edit and let me know if it works.
Old 07-11-05, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by paulr33
cant wait for nissan release
Maybe i should skip the RX7 version and work on the Nissan release instead. So far 100 people have downloaded the software here but no feedback.

Maybe everyone waits for the final release but it doesn't work like that, i don't have a garage full of japanese brand cars.

All you have to do is to select the correct com port under "ECU > Port", than "ECU > Download calibration" and finally "File > Save as" and you should be able to view your calibration in FC Edit and most settings already with FC Tune.
Old 07-11-05, 09:38 AM
Eye In The Sky

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by FastHatch
Maybe i should skip the RX7 version and work on the Nissan release instead. So far 100 people have downloaded the software here but no feedback.

Maybe because when I open it, it says HONDA and is not Rx-7. Or how about the fact that displays are more cumbursome than the DATALOGIT software.

What will it do for me that the DL can't do better?
Old 07-11-05, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by cewrx7r1
Maybe because when I open it, it says HONDA and is not Rx-7.
I've made the message because the software isn't tested on any other car yet and some displays are still wrong for the RX7.

Or how about the fact that displays are more cumbursome than the DATALOGIT software.
The displays are more cumbersome? Please explain.

Any constructive comments? I've said i will try to add any feature requests to the software.
Old 07-11-05, 01:41 PM

Just to let you know which settings are all displayed wrong in DL:

- Turbo transition
- Injector warning
- Knock warning
- Injection vs. TPS
- Injection vs. Accel TPS1
- Ignition vs. TPS

Also the recalc base function has a bad side effect. Water temp. correction has additional settings.

There are also more settings:

- Idle Ignition Timing
- Fuel Cut Recovery Ignition
- Fuel Cut
- Fuel Cut Recovery Enrichment
- Injection vs. Decelerate TPS
- Idle RPM vs. Water temperature
- Idle Air
Old 07-11-05, 01:59 PM
Eye In The Sky

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
I do not like the totally Windows look to find all the tables. Not user friendly.

At leaste the more frequently used maps should be in a format similar to the DL format. Displayed major screens with the TITLE visable which does not require hunting.

Also you have to pull down every little map one at a time. Similar maps all should be on the same page.

That's what I ment by cumberson.

If you final product was such improved, and is more accurate and has more missing functions, I would be willing to pay a resonable price for it.

Last edited by cewrx7r1; 07-11-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 02:19 PM

If you final product was such improved, and is more accurate and has more missing functions, I would be willing to pay a resonable price for it.
I'm not looking to make money with the box or software. The software is free and everyone with a Datalogit doesn't need a new box. The box without additional features will be sold at cost.

I've spent more than 500 hours in the last 7 month coding 20,000 lines of code and i've got no support or feedback so far.

You complain about the message box, but how can i be sure everything works if nobody tests it? Buy an RX7?

If you don't like the software that's fine, but let me know why so when can work on it

Another advantage of FC Tune is that it is portable to WinCE, Linux and even Mac.
You'll never see FC Edit for a handheld.

It would be great if someone could try to read the settings from the PFC (Download calibration) and then save it as a FC Edit file. That doesn't change any value in the PFC.

Also check out "Injection vs TPS voltage" and "Ignition vs TPS voltage" and you'll see what FC Edit displays wrong.
Old 07-11-05, 02:49 PM

Fasthatch,

I'm an Impreza owner in the UK and have recently had a Power FC fitted and mapped. I have read your thread and am very interested in what you are trying to achieve.

Is there anything I could do in terms of testing or research in order to help you out or develop the Subaru strain of the FCTune.

I am currently looking into converting one of these home made kits that normaly reads from the OEM ECU to display real time data to one that is PowerFC compatible.

www.scoobymonitor.co.uk

Do RX7 owners have data moniotors other than the commander?

Wayne.
Old 07-11-05, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Is there anything I could do in terms of testing or research in order to help you out or develop the Subaru strain of the FCTune.
If you have a Datalogit box you could help me in the next weeks. The Subaru uses an air flow meter and i haven't finished the windows yet.

Originally Posted by Catch22
I am currently looking into converting one of these home made kits that normaly reads from the OEM ECU to display real time data to one that is PowerFC compatible.
An Atmel microcontroller with an I²C slave would work for this purpose. Only problem is that the Atmel only has 4 KB of RAM, that isn't enough to store the PFC calibration but enough to monitor the sensor values. But why?
Old 07-11-05, 05:56 PM

Just finished the lag time, dwell and ignition vs. water temp cold windows for the RX7.

Honda:

RX7:

All views are dynamically, not one app for each model like FC Edit.

Version can be downloaded here:
http://www.fctune.com/download/FCTune_0_41.exe

Does FC Edit highlight changes and has an undo history?
Old 07-11-05, 07:02 PM
Mad Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your looking for someone to test the box with the extra features consider me in. I have not gotten a datalogit due to demand but will wait for this box with all the extra features. Plus I want something to run on Windows CE. Looks good can't argue with more features and FREE.

Thanks
Old 07-11-05, 07:14 PM
Nzo
TougeTard

Just wanted to add something else minor, I noticed in the early screen shots you posted the maps cells had color gradients which I think is helpful for giving you a visual cue as to what the map will look like at a glance.
Old 07-11-05, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nzo
Just wanted to add something else minor, I noticed in the early screen shots you posted the maps cells had color gradients which I think is helpful for giving you a visual cue as to what the map will look like at a glance.
Good eye there, that feature will be included in the next release. Also the view can be switched beween pulse width and injector duty cycle and the fuel correction map between correction value, target lambda and target AFR (Can FC Edit do that? )

I also want to add wizards so that you can select your injectors etc. from a list.
Old 07-11-05, 09:45 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep up the good work. There are people who appreciate your work here on these forums.
Old 07-11-05, 11:54 PM

cant wait to see your finish product. good luck
Old 07-12-05, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nzo
The ignition map and fuel correction map cells are now colored:

http://www.fctune.com/download/FCTune_0_42.exe

Let me know if you like the colors. Maybe i should make a dialog where the colors are user definable.

I have also made some fixes for the RX7 version:

- Base fuel map shows the correct breakpoints
- Ignition map shows correct vaules, piston and rotary engines have different values

Except the injectors window and the strings in the protect window all other windows are now working for the RX7.
Old 07-12-05, 12:34 PM
Addicted to Track

Wow, I'm impressed you've made it so far with this. Last time I had been on the forums, seems like it was just an idea you were investigating...

I could definitely be pulled away from the FC Edit software as it seems to have gone stagnant. My only concern would be bugs in the software that would result in popping an engine. No personal insults indended there...I'm a programmer too, so I know bugs are inevitable.
Old 07-12-05, 01:03 PM
Addicted to Track

By the way, I REALLY like the colors in the maps a lot. And I like that you're planning on releasing this as free software. If this works out, you should set up an account for donations as I'm the type that would donate some cash back for your efforts...

I'll download my maps from the PFC tomorrow and compare in FC Edit for you...
Old 07-12-05, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TailHappy
Wow, I'm impressed you've made it so far with this. Last time I had been on the forums, seems like it was just an idea you were investigating...
I am working since last december on the software and have spent countless nights and weekends long before i have found this forum.

Originally Posted by TailHappy
My only concern would be bugs in the software that would result in popping an engine. No personal insults indended there...I'm a programmer too, so I know bugs are inevitable.
You are right, every software has bugs. I am working since 5 years as a software developer for a multi billion dollar company developing car navigation systems. You can trust me, the software is very well designed and written. Feel free to visit me and have a look at the source code

A funny thing is if you can get in touch with the developer you assume it has bugs, if it's an anonymous company in New Zealand you assume it's bug free.

The communication protocol has a checksum, so it's nearly impossible to send bad data to the PFC. So the only dangerous bugs would be the conversion from real values to PFC values.

I also had the upload/download function running in an loop for an hour and it hasn't crashed.

Also FC Tune checks the lower and upper limit of each value which FC Edit doesn't do. Enter '9999' for the different settings and you'll see what i mean. FC Edit only limits it to the maximum that fits into the variable.

I also add other checks to the software, the order will be checked (ascending/descending values) and the cells will be compared with its neighbours.

Old 07-12-05, 03:49 PM

wow. very impressed. /clap keep up the awesome work. Its much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Power FC FC Tune preview