1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Rotary Shack deserves some serious credit for saving my 12a Turbo project. (Long) pic

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-04, 08:26 AM
Always waiting for parts!

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Rotary Shack deserves some serious credit for saving my 12a Turbo project. (Long) pic

Rotaryshack saved my 12a turbo, needless to say I didnt have the money laying around to get a new carb.

I have been dealing with Robert at rotary shack for a little over 6 months. At first he was a little hard to get a hold of or respond to email. I guess he found out that you have to pick up that thing that is ringing on the deskJ. Once we actually started doing business he was easier to get a hold of and returned phone calls and email in a very timely manner.

It all started with the float for the 48 IDA carb. Since I was installing a turbo in my RX-7 and the brass float and a turbo don’t get along in an IDA setup. Robert said he would take on the challenge of R&D for filling and sealing the brass float. I sent Robert my float from my carb he filled and sealed it, but float he sent lasted for about 3 days. It was a good idea how he did it but the materials couldn’t hold up to the constant fuel eating away at it. After the first float sank Robert purchased 3 more floats from his weber distributor. One was to replace mine and the others were for R&D. Keep in mind that the floats by them selves are not cheap. The second float was a work of art filled solid with foam and the holes were welded or brazed shut. It looked like a winner. I put it in the car and it was running great for three days. Unfortunately when the weld was cleaned up there was a small fracture in it and it filled with gas. But that one was right on in design and if he makes another in the future I’m sure that it will work. After it sank I called Robert he was as upset as I, But when my float sank I got on the computer and just happened to find a polyurethane float for the IDA carb and scooped it up in a heart beat.

All the work that Robert did for me and he only charge me $30.00. I know that didn’t even touch his expenses or effort in the R&D of the float. He has always been willing to help when I call.

Now the part where he saved my project 12a Turbo. As some of you may have read in previous post I actually got my car to boost and run like a champ for 20~30 minutes till the police ended my fun trip with a ticket. Then next morning I went out to the car to adjust the time to where Robert advised me would be the best for the amount of boost I would be running. I started the car and she was idling a little funny from the day before but I proceeded to adjust the idle. It was difficult to get it where I wanted it. But finally I got it there. Then I went to adjust the timing. While I was setting it I noticed a hairline crack on the mounting base of the carb near the alternator. It was disheartening to say the least. I mean, I have put this turbo kit together from odds and ends of another kit. Custom made the exhaust, the intercooler piping, locked the dizzy, hell I even made the gaskets for the intake and the exhaust. A lot of sweat and blood has gone into making this car. Just on the mechanical side. I haven’t even started on the body side of the car yet. So, after all the work I have done now she repays me with a broke $499~599 carburetor that I cant afford to get till tax time! For those of you that really torque down your carbs, just be careful it might happen to you.

So, I call Robert and ask if he might have a lower part of a 48 IDA lying around. Unfortunately he doesn’t, he did call his distributor and they don’t sell just the lower half. BTW Robert seems to have a 51 IDA laying in his shop. This is the second time he brought that carb up to me. So if anyone has a use for that one. I believe he is willing to part with itJ It’s just to big for my applications. Robert tells me to send him the carb he’ll see what he can get done. He said something about a friend that TIG welds for some aeronautical or NASA type ****. Hell, I’m out of options. The guy I PM’ed on the forum didn’t have and extra parts either.

I go out and remove the carb from the manifold you got to love the simplicity of these carbs. Thirty minutes and it was off. Course it did leave that little ear of the base sitting on the intake manifold when I pulled the carb up. All that can be said right there is ouch.

Now you have to realize that I can’t drive my car right now because of the lack of registration. So, I have time to get the carb fixed. I two day priority mail the carb to Robert. Figuring I should see my carb in about 2~3 weeks. I figure that’s about the time it will take to get the registration figured out. I asked Robert if he could do a little check up on the carb and maybe do a couple performance upgrades while he has it.

Here is the kicker in customer service. I get an email two days after I send it. Telling me he has already prepped the carb to be fixed, that his friend has fixed a few of these carbs already. Also, that my carb will be done being repaired in two hours. Two hours later I call, he’s got the carb and he’s doing a little clean up and mods to the fuel inlet holes. Talk for a few and hang up. **** yeah I’m a happy SOB with a load off my chest. He sends me pictures of some crud he found and some before and after pictures of the mods he did. The **** looked good.

I’m sitting at my computer and I get a phone call. Seems we didn’t figure on how I wanted the carb returned to me. I mean how fast I wanted it sent back. Roberts at the Post office calling me and telling me how much the shipping will be for this that and the other.

Robert realized that the car was starting to running good and that the carb issue was a real dilemma for me. But he did a excellent job at keeping the customer informed and satisfied. Well above and beyond what anyone would expect.

Old 10-03-04, 09:28 AM
DSM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good story. I usually dont read these long ones.lol

Glad you got it fixed
Old 10-03-04, 10:25 AM
FKITALL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happy to hear it !
Old 10-03-04, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how much the RX-7 shops and experts go out of their way to help a rotorhead. Makes me feel even better about buying a 7.
Old 10-03-04, 11:29 AM
raysspl.com

bump for rob!
btw if you're fat, i think i know why he took care of you so well!

so how fast is this beast of yours on track?
Old 10-03-04, 06:05 PM
Ride 'n Style

Robert sure is good at welding aluminum, that's for sure!
Old 10-03-04, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by d0 Luck
bump for rob!
btw if you're fat, i think i know why he took care of you so well!

so how fast is this beast of yours on track?
She hasn't found her way to the track yet, but hopefully she will, still working out little bugs. Like 8 miles per gallon. Still need to get my fuel system reliable (Losing fuel pressure on bumps???) I'm going to skip the stock wiring for the fuel pump and run a relay, also have to lean out the carb a little bit. Just so many little projects. Today, I was changing the rear brake pads and didn't get to finish that project. There were 3 outside pads and one inside pad if the box. (WTF) Didn't realize till I started on the driver side. Oh well, one more day of down time saves gas.

Originally Posted by Metallic_rock
Robert sure is good at welding aluminum, that's for sure!
LOL, You didn't read the story... busted
Old 10-03-04, 08:54 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
lmao
Old 10-04-04, 02:08 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

yep, there's countless times he's helped me out and seriously hooked me up. just waiting on the final piece for my 12a turbo beast. rob is definately the man!
Old 10-04-04, 09:30 AM
RX for fun

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FB II
rob is definately the man!
no he is not. HE IS FAT!!!!! and GAY ( as in happy)
Old 10-04-04, 03:24 PM
Lapping = Fapping

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Glad it worked out in the end.
Old 10-04-04, 11:13 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

thanks for the nice words sean, your welcome !!!

what really ticks me off is that anytime sombody has negative posts everybody gets involved, something positive, nobody cares.....

WTF?? fat bitches!!!
Old 10-04-04, 11:42 PM
RX for fun

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
dont worry about those cry babies...its like gambling. they see your winnings but they dont see how much $$ you lost before that fat $$.
Old 10-05-04, 12:33 AM
raysspl.com

Originally Posted by 680RWHP12A

what really ticks me off is that anytime sombody has negative posts everybody gets involved, something positive, nobody cares.....

WTF?? fat bitches!!!
hey i threw in my good words too! btw, where's my discount??
Old 10-05-04, 07:19 AM

WTF?? fat bitches!!!
I got your fat baby

* One 6 lbs CHEEZE burger
* Two whole tomatoes
* A half-head of lettuce
* 12 slices of American cheese
* A full cup of peppers
* Two entire onions
* Plus, a river a mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard.
* 9 lbs total

Last edited by seanrot; 10-05-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-05-04, 05:01 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Robert is the man!!!
Old 10-05-04, 05:21 PM
FKITALL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=680RWHP12A]thanks for the nice words sean, your welcome !!!

QUOTE]

Ha ha! I care..... I care about the butterflies, the crickets, the crack heads, the young, the ugly, and of course, THE FAT!!!!
Old 10-05-04, 08:01 PM
Tennis, anyone

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good words, big, fat, plain and simple. get down with yourself robert. it turned out real good. got lucky..... now time to eat !!

thats so true ,, good words, nobody cares. just carve someone a new *** hole and it's a gang bang.. now don't drop the ball..
Old 10-05-04, 11:03 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

[QUOTE=The Wankler]

QUOTE]

Ha ha! I care..... I care about the butterflies, the crickets, the crack heads, the young, the ugly, and of course, THE FAT!!!!

yah,,, but your a dogggg!!!!

go eat some more cheese and get super fat!!!!!!

i think im gioing back to my old ways ,,,,,at least then the threads were more fun!!!!