RX7Club.com


Go Back   RX7Club.com > Tech and Performance > Race Car Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryUsed Cars Garage
Welcome to RX7Club.com

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-12, 09:16 PM   #1
Spinner
5 Year Member
 
Trader Score: (0)

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 99
Oil pressure drop on corner exit

Was out testing on the weekend and noticed that my oil pressure drops from normal 7ish bar pressure to 2 bar after really high g corners for a split second and then comes back to regular operating pressure.

I'm running the racing beat pan baffle, oil was not low.

Should I be worried about this? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
Andrew.
Andoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 05:17 PM   #2
Trackstar motorsport
10 Year Member
 
97SupraTwinTurbo's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (8)

Join Date: May 2002
Location: glendale, ca
Posts: 242
Trackstar Motorsport TSmotorsport
Send a message via AIM to 97SupraTwinTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoru View Post
Was out testing on the weekend and noticed that my oil pressure drops from normal 7ish bar pressure to 2 bar after really high g corners for a split second and then comes back to regular operating pressure.

I'm running the racing beat pan baffle, oil was not low.

Should I be worried about this? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
Andrew.
A 70psi drop in oil pressure is bad on high speed cornering but there are things to look for. Does the oil pan have a windage tray? Do you have a high flow oil pump? Have you tried to run an accusump?
__________________
"If it's not burning, bending, or breaking, then you're not pushing it hard enough"
04' Acura TSX Navi / 93' Ultrasonic blue mica LSX RX7 R1 /08' Prius 5 Hybrid Gas Sipper
97SupraTwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 05:29 PM   #3
www.lms-efi.com
10 Year Member
 
C. Ludwig's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (27)

Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Floyds Knobs. IN
Posts: 4,462
Send a message via Yahoo to C. Ludwig
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SupraTwinTurbo View Post
Does the oil pan have a windage tray?

Love when the piston guys chime in!

Obviously, even with the baffle plate you're uncovering the pickup. Only way to explain pressure drop that only happens during cornering. Accusump may help but it's a bandaid IMO.

Got specifics on the car? Dual purpose, track day, purpose built to a rule set? The baffle plate usually works well enough for most racing applications. The best solution would be a dry sump, but it's big money to throw at dual purpose car and not legal for many racing classes.
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 09:33 AM   #4
Spinner
5 Year Member
 
Trader Score: (0)

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Ludwig View Post
Love when the piston guys chime in!

Obviously, even with the baffle plate you're uncovering the pickup. Only way to explain pressure drop that only happens during cornering. Accusump may help but it's a bandaid IMO.

Got specifics on the car? Dual purpose, track day, purpose built to a rule set? The baffle plate usually works well enough for most racing applications. The best solution would be a dry sump, but it's big money to throw at dual purpose car and not legal for many racing classes.
Cars purpose built race car for time attack. Trying to avoid going to a drysump system because it's big money.

I'm wondering if the split second drop is much to worry about. I'm going to try over filling the oil a touch at the next event and see what happens, other than that I'm going to have to do something with the oil pickup/pan.

Andrew.
Andoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 12:45 PM   #5
www.lms-efi.com
10 Year Member
 
C. Ludwig's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (27)

Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Floyds Knobs. IN
Posts: 4,462
Send a message via Yahoo to C. Ludwig
Over filling by a half quart or so is pretty standard. As long as you're not sloshing it out the PCV holes at the top of the fill neck you'll be ok.
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 05:28 PM   #6
Spinner
5 Year Member
 
Trader Score: (0)

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Ludwig View Post
Over filling by a half quart or so is pretty standard. As long as you're not sloshing it out the PCV holes at the top of the fill neck you'll be ok.
I think I'm going to drop the pan this week and fabricate a trap door baffle system around the oil pickup in the pan. Similar to this:

http://www.reganrotaryracing.com/fdoilpan.htm

Andrew
Andoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 08:24 AM   #7
Exhaust Leak
 
Trader Score: (0)

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton , AB, Canada
Posts: 17
I think a trap door setup or if possible a swinging pickup would work great. As for the accusump. I'd run it. Bandaid or not it will save your engine.
__________________
Ryan Schmidt
Moretto Motorsportz - 1up-racing.com
LS3 429 Powered FC3S - 1968 Dodge Charger
fc3sls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:18 PM   #8
Trackstar motorsport
10 Year Member
 
97SupraTwinTurbo's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (8)

Join Date: May 2002
Location: glendale, ca
Posts: 242
Trackstar Motorsport TSmotorsport
Send a message via AIM to 97SupraTwinTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoru View Post
I think I'm going to drop the pan this week and fabricate a trap door baffle system around the oil pickup in the pan. Similar to this:

http://www.reganrotaryracing.com/fdoilpan.htm

Andrew
Wait, an oil pan battle aka windage tray CAN be installed on a rotary engine??? Did you see that Ludwig?
__________________
"If it's not burning, bending, or breaking, then you're not pushing it hard enough"
04' Acura TSX Navi / 93' Ultrasonic blue mica LSX RX7 R1 /08' Prius 5 Hybrid Gas Sipper
97SupraTwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:31 PM   #9
No Glory
 
Trader Score: (7)

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SupraTwinTurbo View Post
Wait, an oil pan battle aka windage tray CAN be installed on a rotary engine??? Did you see that Ludwig?
oil pan baffle is not aka windage tray, they are 2 different things with different functions
ninesixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:31 PM
RX7Club
Mazda RX7




Paid Advertisement


 
 
 
Reply

Tags
bend, car, corner, cornering, corners, drop, drops, exit, lost, low, motor, oil, pressure, race, speed, windagetraydo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.
All content Copyright 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc.

Contacts

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.