Time Slips and Dyno Section is for posting 1/4 mile time slips and dyno graphs

My first time at the track

Old 04-17-05, 04:09 PM
  #1  
I'm on a Boat!
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
ProjectD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: OK
Posts: 1,824
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My first time at the track

I'll start with my mods:
RE intake w/stock plasitc pipes
PFS SMIC
DP,MP,CB
PFC w/com(base maps)
i was running about 12-13psi

And my ricer excuses are:
weak stock clutch
bald tires
and the most important....I suck at launching my car and I am not the quickest at shifting I would either bog really bad or spin through first and second.

Anyway my best pass of the night was a 13.8 at 108mph. And that was with a 2.4 60'

I tried a couple different methods( 3k drop, 3.5 sliping the clutch, etc.) but i just couldn't get out of the whole . I'm sure some better tires will help a little, as well as a better clutch and tune but I guess I just need more practice

...looking for the slip now to post
ProjectD is offline  
Old 04-17-05, 04:12 PM
  #2  
Will u do me a kindness?
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
the_glass_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Parlor City, NY
Posts: 5,032
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you can tell the power is there from the trap speed, but don't be hard on yourself it was only your first time!
the_glass_man is offline  
Old 04-17-05, 04:22 PM
  #3  
I'm on a Boat!
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
ProjectD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: OK
Posts: 1,824
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx Glass man. I plan on trying again with my current setup to see if i can improve on my driving b4 get new tires or anything. I've also got an efini y-pipe waiting to be installed (i wanna polish the cross-over pipe first).
ProjectD is offline  
Old 04-17-05, 04:30 PM
  #4  
Will u do me a kindness?
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
the_glass_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Parlor City, NY
Posts: 5,032
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProjectD
Thanx Glass man. I plan on trying again with my current setup to see if i can improve on my driving b4 get new tires or anything. I've also got an efini y-pipe waiting to be installed (i wanna polish the cross-over pipe first).
You should look into getting the car tuned as it will help you get the most reliable horsepower out of your current setup.
the_glass_man is offline  
Old 04-17-05, 04:48 PM
  #5  
Avoid the Noid
10 Year Member
 
travisorus rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,707
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a different clutch (if you have the time/money) Generally, track launches are pretty hard on the clutch. If you get the reliable horsepower the glass man was talking about, some sticker meats and a strong, grippy clutch, you will be much happier.
travisorus rex is offline  
Old 04-17-05, 05:15 PM
  #6  
What it is Hoe, Wussup
5 Year Member
 
silver93r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: tennessee
Posts: 344
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is just me i would think bald tires would run better cause their like slicks i wouldnt run with brand new tires and screw them up. lower your psi in your tires and that will hell shave off a couple of thenths a second
silver93r1 is offline  
Old 04-17-05, 08:13 PM
  #7  
I'm on a Boat!
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
ProjectD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: OK
Posts: 1,824
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_glass_man
You should look into getting the car tuned as it will help you get the most reliable horsepower out of your current setup.
I deffinately see a tune in my near future. But I want a few more boltons first(to keep from having to retune later)

Originally Posted by travisorus rex
Try a different clutch (if you have the time/money) Generally, track launches are pretty hard on the clutch. If you get the reliable horsepower the glass man was talking about, some sticker meats and a strong, grippy clutch, you will be much happier.
Yea, I'm actually waiting on my income tax refund to come in so i can order my new clutch as well as lightweight flywheel(i know the FW won't help my launch, may even hurt it) but i don't plan on taking my car to the drags very often anyway.

Originally Posted by silver93r1
this is just me i would think bald tires would run better cause their like slicks i wouldnt run with brand new tires and screw them up. lower your psi in your tires and that will hell shave off a couple of thenths a second
I'm no expert but I don't think bald tires are like slicks. I would imagine the compound is still completely different preventing the bald radials from getting any decent grip(just a guess though) And my current tires were actually wearing down unevenly. And as stated above I don't plan on racing my car very often, hell i barely ever get to drive it as it is. work owns me. So i'm not too worried about replacing my tires too often. Oh and i forgot to mention earlier that that run was on about 25psi in the rear and the max in the front. I'm honestly not too sure how low I can take the tires preasure so i didn't want to go too low.

I think I'll do much better when i get my crap straight....tune, clutch, tires, and most important practice

Last edited by ProjectD; 04-17-05 at 08:21 PM.
ProjectD is offline  
Old 04-18-05, 03:41 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
15 Year Member
 
RICKRX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL Don't feel too bad. I did the same thing this past weekend on 18"wheels & street tires. I launched at 3500RPM and spun first and second so bad that I got a 14.1 @ 108.9 . I next launched at 2500 RPM and got a 13.2 @ 110.4 but I still had a hard time hooking up in first and second.
mods are PFC set at 12PSI, M2 intake, M2 med IC, Pettit DP,HF cat, & RB dual tip cat back
RICKRX7 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 04:18 AM
  #9  
I'm on a Boat!
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
ProjectD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: OK
Posts: 1,824
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice times, What clutch are you running?
ProjectD is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 07:42 AM
  #10  
boxed in and drawn out
10 Year Member
 
APEXL8T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bayouself
Posts: 555
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lower tires to 15....then after smoking the **** out of them, lower RPM till the tires start sticking.Roll out.You cut off the hard seasoned rubber surface,then removed the greasy hot surface rubber. After this run...check your air cause it should have raised by the heat.Go back to 15.Next run if it is with in ten to 15 minutes should be much better. I have video of a second run on low profile tires that were all ready hot (new though) where I didnt need to smoke the tires for grip. there a link in the left foot braking thread on driving techniques (last two months search though).l8tdrag vid not the club.Oh yea..shocks soft as possible.
APEXL8T is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 10:35 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
15 Year Member
 
RICKRX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectD
Nice times, What clutch are you running?
I have about 22k miles on the OEM clutch and it still works. However,I did notice it slipped a little immediately after the 3rd to 4th shift.
RICKRX7 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 12:37 PM
  #12  
I'm on a Boat!
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
ProjectD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: OK
Posts: 1,824
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXL8T
lower tires to 15....then after smoking the **** out of them, lower RPM till the tires start sticking.Roll out.You cut off the hard seasoned rubber surface,then removed the greasy hot surface rubber. After this run...check your air cause it should have raised by the heat.Go back to 15.Next run if it is with in ten to 15 minutes should be much better. I have video of a second run on low profile tires that were all ready hot (new though) where I didnt need to smoke the tires for grip. there a link in the left foot braking thread on driving techniques (last two months search though).l8tdrag vid not the club.Oh yea..shocks soft as possible.

Thanx for the tips. i'll give that a try next time I head to the track
ProjectD is offline  
Old 04-22-05, 03:42 PM
  #13  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
 
z4csl428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seymour, TN (couple miles west of the atlantic ocean)
Posts: 654
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silver93r1
this is just me i would think bald tires would run better cause their like slicks i wouldnt run with brand new tires and screw them up. lower your psi in your tires and that will hell shave off a couple of thenths a second
balds are the complete opposites of slicks, and lowering the psi wouldnt shave tenths lol, thats mostly just a preventative of wheel hop and messing stuff up...
z4csl428 is offline  
Old 04-22-05, 03:47 PM
  #14  
Recovering Milkaholic
iTrader: (7)
 
Fd3BOOST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Budds Creek, Maryland
Posts: 8,202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You won't see decent times until you get some ET Streets or some other slicks. Don't watse your cash on dag radials either. Run low tire pressure also.
Fd3BOOST is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Feffman
Midwest RX-7 Forum
1
09-01-15 07:30 AM
IB Cristina
West RX-7 Forum
0
08-20-15 05:46 PM
Feffman
Racing Kills Lounge
0
08-15-15 06:19 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first time at the track


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.