Super AFC Area is for discussing the Apexi Super AFC

n/a with safc?

Old 05-12-07, 10:52 PM
  #1  
Full Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
lanceC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 84
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
n/a with safc?

would a safc be of much use to a na s5 motor or is it just a wast of time?
lanceC is offline  
Old 05-13-07, 01:40 AM
  #2  
always modding
10 Year Member
 
Ottoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: on a tiny island in the middle of a sea
Posts: 1,667
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What mods do u have?


u probably wont gain much Peak horsepower

but U can use it to fine tune your low/midrange and lean it out since they tend to run quite fat in the middle...

it will also help your fuel economy as well..

some ppl unplug their O2 sensor.. so the car stays in open loop mode.. and than use the AFC to fine tune their cruise/ partial throttle as well

for better fuel economy
Ottoman is offline  
Old 05-13-07, 11:58 AM
  #3  
Full Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
lanceC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 84
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
none yet just puting plans together, that sounds good would you recomend another system?
lanceC is offline  
Old 05-13-07, 01:22 PM
  #4  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Home
Posts: 170
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SAFC could give you some. I would first open up the intake and open up the exhaust, get a good data logging wideband and see where you AFR is at then decide if you want to get the SAFC
AllMotorRotor is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 11:41 PM
  #5  
We're All Fkd..
10 Year Member
iTrader: (16)
 
AcidAngel7477's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Whittier,CA
Posts: 8,654
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it helps out eather way, IMO

:AA:
AcidAngel7477 is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 11:52 PM
  #6  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
 
nukeall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CRAPAMOUNT
Posts: 577
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wat do you have to modify ? to have safc ???
nukeall is offline  
Old 06-02-07, 02:06 PM
  #7  
Rotary Freak
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing, but if you are looking for more power, then opening up the restrictions in the exhaust and intake system will allow a larger increase in power possible. Such as tuning with an SAFC. If you tune your engine with the stock exhaust and intake, after opening up the two, you may find your engine running slower and crappy and you may have to add fuel to correct this.
RotaMan99 is offline  
Old 06-02-07, 10:08 PM
  #8  
Full Member
 
whorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are we talking about with opening up the intake? A cold air system? Porting? I'm looking to get the Neo for my S5 NA with RB header. But I mainly want it to insure I can pass CA smog with a streetport.
whorider is offline  
Old 06-03-07, 03:38 AM
  #9  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a 90 NA with an apex intake, RB header, hi flow cat, and a apex catback. and also go NGK iridium wires and new sparkplugs. and im thinkin my car is running a lil because my bumper always looks like its burnt and there oil on it. Ive been readin about this a lil bit, and i guess SAFC can help me fix that and also tune my car. Can anybody give me more information bout if it'll actually help or not and also how will it help me gain some power after the fix. Thanks
FCHeman is offline  
Old 06-03-07, 06:33 AM
  #10  
always modding
10 Year Member
 
Ottoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: on a tiny island in the middle of a sea
Posts: 1,667
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
only a wideband will tell u if it's a worthy investment or not..
Ottoman is offline  
Old 06-04-07, 05:20 PM
  #11  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
?
FCHeman is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 07:17 AM
  #12  
Rotary Freak
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are we talking about with opening up the intake? A cold air system? Porting?
I was talking about a CAI. Porting doesn't really open up the intake restrition, it only changes the port opening or closing timing.

I don't know if you will pass Emmisions with a ported motor, I havn't heard you can't though.

Ive been readin about this a lil bit, and i guess SAFC can help me fix that and also tune my car. Can anybody give me more information bout if it'll actually help or not and also how will it help me gain some power after the fix. Thanks
It won't help with an oil burning issue but it could certainly help lean out the engine IF the engine needs to be leaned out. Like another poster mentioned, a WB is the only way to tell. Your engine can run lean and rich at different spots in the power band so you need to know where your car is good, where its possibly lean and where its rich.
RotaMan99 is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 10:09 AM
  #13  
GxL/T2
10 Year Member
 
Morondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Easton (Palmer Twp) Pa
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lanceC View Post
would a safc be of much use to a na s5 motor or is it just a wast of time?
Don't get it is a waste of time. I had it on my N/A and i had a full exhaust intake and it didn't do much. As a matter of fact i'm selling my now will post it in E-bay and in the forums later on today. I didn't gain any HP out of it with the mods i had, i just looked like a cool thing to have in your dash to impress people i guess. Fuel pump fuel regulater and the AEM Digital WIDEBAND UEGO CONTROLLER AIR FUEL Gauge will probably work out better. In my opinion. But one thing is for sure the AFC didn't do a thing for me. I'm almost done doing a turbo conversion on my car now the one is my abatar and I wont even use the AFC since i have more mods done to the car but research it before you get it Good luck...
Morondongon is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 07:59 PM
  #14  
Full Member
 
whorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Morondongon View Post
Don't get it is a waste of time. I had it on my N/A and i had a full exhaust intake and it didn't do much. As a matter of fact i'm selling my now will post it in E-bay and in the forums later on today. I didn't gain any HP out of it with the mods i had, i just looked like a cool thing to have in your dash to impress people i guess. Fuel pump fuel regulater and the AEM Digital WIDEBAND UEGO CONTROLLER AIR FUEL Gauge will probably work out better. In my opinion. But one thing is for sure the AFC didn't do a thing for me. I'm almost done doing a turbo conversion on my car now the one is my abatar and I wont even use the AFC since i have more mods done to the car but research it before you get it Good luck...
OK, I'm confused. What good is a wideband without a way to adjust air/fuel ratio?
whorider is offline  
Old 06-06-07, 09:51 AM
  #15  
GxL/T2
10 Year Member
 
Morondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Easton (Palmer Twp) Pa
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whorider View Post
OK, I'm confused. What good is a wideband without a way to adjust air/fuel ratio?
From what i understand the AEM Universal Digital 6 in 1 Wideband UEGO Controller Gauge is more accureate and better than the SAFC. The AEM gives you a better display whether your motor is running rich or lean that's all. I'm not an expert for this is my whole understand. I'm getting my car worked on as we speak and i'm using haltech e8 kit. My mech told me that i don't need that (SAFC) but if i wanted installed he could do it, he told me that AEM is much better and simpler to use, and that's all. Even Kahren from the forum told me that i didn't need it. So i took it off and i'm selling it now. If any of you guys want it i'm asking for 200 plus shipping. AEM Universal Digital 6 in 1 Wideband UEGO Controller Gauge is the way to go but if you want to try the SAFC try it.
Morondongon is offline  
Old 06-06-07, 10:42 PM
  #16  
Rotary Freak
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AEM Universal Digital 6 in 1 Wideband UEGO Controller Gauge is more accureate and better than the SAFC.
I think you are miss-understanding what the SAFC is supposed to do. The Gauge monitors the AFR while the SAFC is there to adjust the AFR by modifing the AFM signal to the ECU. The SAFC has no idea what your AFR is noor is it supposed to monitor it, it is only modifing the AFM signal to what you tune the SAFC for.

My mech told me that i don't need that (SAFC) but if i wanted installed he could do it, he told me that AEM is much better and simpler to use, and that's all.
Your Mechanic has no idea what he is talking about. You need atleast 2 items to accuratly and safely adjust the AFR. A Gauge and a Fuel Computer such as the SAFC or standalone.

Even Kahren from the forum told me that i didn't need it.
You certainly don't need it if you are going with a haltech.
RotaMan99 is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 08:00 PM
  #17  
Full Member
 
whorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RotaMan99 View Post
I think you are miss-understanding what the SAFC is supposed to do. The Gauge monitors the AFR while the SAFC is there to adjust the AFR by modifing the AFM signal to the ECU. The SAFC has no idea what your AFR is noor is it supposed to monitor it, it is only modifing the AFM signal to what you tune the SAFC for.



Your Mechanic has no idea what he is talking about. You need atleast 2 items to accuratly and safely adjust the AFR. A Gauge and a Fuel Computer such as the SAFC or standalone.



You certainly don't need it if you are going with a haltech.
Thank you! I amy be an F.N.G. to rotary and tuning, but, I was pretty sure that was the idea of wideband and SAFC.

P.S. Both a wideband and a SAFC are in the mail to me, and I'm picking up a freshly rebuilt street ported engine next week.
whorider is offline  
Old 06-09-07, 11:19 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi

Can anyone tell me pleasde how do you determine when you are to lean (before engine destruction) on SAFC.

I have 86 NA and i would buy SAFC becasue of improving fuel economy. (Gas prices in Europe are killing us).

Best regards
mazdica is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 11:44 AM
  #19  
GxL/T2
10 Year Member
 
Morondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Easton (Palmer Twp) Pa
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whorider View Post
Thank you! I amy be an F.N.G. to rotary and tuning, but, I was pretty sure that was the idea of wideband and SAFC.

P.S. Both a wideband and a SAFC are in the mail to me, and I'm picking up a freshly rebuilt street ported engine next week.
you don't need both on your car. One would suffice. I would just install the AEM instead of the AFC it is much more easier to see if you are running lean or rich. IMO
Morondongon is offline  
Old 06-20-07, 01:23 PM
  #20  
T04Z 13B-RE
5 Year Member
iTrader: (6)
 
NaturalSmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Morondongon View Post
you don't need both on your car. One would suffice. I would just install the AEM instead of the AFC it is much more easier to see if you are running lean or rich. IMO
The AEM and the AFC are used for 2 different things! AEM is for reading AFRs, the AFC is used for adjusting AFR. This was already said by RotaMan99. You could buy a Wideband o2 sensor (AEM) to see if your fuel curve needs adjusting, which I'm sure it will if you are running the factory computer, but you will still need a fuel controller (AFC) or a stand alone ecu to adjust the fuel.
NaturalSmooth is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 11:46 AM
  #21  
GxL/T2
10 Year Member
 
Morondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Easton (Palmer Twp) Pa
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NaturalSmooth View Post
The AEM and the AFC are used for 2 different things! AEM is for reading AFRs, the AFC is used for adjusting AFR. This was already said by RotaMan99. You could buy a Wideband o2 sensor (AEM) to see if your fuel curve needs adjusting, which I'm sure it will if you are running the factory computer, but you will still need a fuel controller (AFC) or a stand alone ecu to adjust the fuel.
I agree with most but IMO i wouldn't use a AFC. Like i said before i had one (now f/s if anyone is interested). If you start making mods on your car you need to step it up a notch and try to go with an after market ecu to get the most of your performance. The AEM to me works better because it is a better indicator much simpler to use it goes from green to red and when it is in red it means take it to a shop ASAP unlike the afc which is an analog and its indicators are more complex. I will look in to the fuel adjusting, i don't think that what you are saying is right but i will get back to you. From i know that's why you would install a fuel pressure regulator. I will find out or if you find out before me just post it or send it to me.
Morondongon is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 07:07 PM
  #22  
Rotary Freak
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with most but IMO i wouldn't use a AFC. Like i said before i had one (now f/s if anyone is interested). If you start making mods on your car you need to step it up a notch and try to go with an after market ecu to get the most of your performance. The AEM to me works better because it is a better indicator much simpler to use it goes from green to red and when it is in red it means take it to a shop ASAP unlike the afc which is an analog and its indicators are more complex. I will look in to the fuel adjusting, i don't think that what you are saying is right but i will get back to you. From i know that's why you would install a fuel pressure regulator. I will find out or if you find out before me just post it or send it to me.
Your not getting it.

The SAFC, Super Air Flow Converter, I call it Super Air Fuel Computer, sounds better. Is used to ADJUST how much fuel is to be injected into the motor by modifing the AFM signal. The AFC has no idea what your AFR is, it does NOT monitor it either. Below is what the AFM can MONITOR!

Correction Percentage - The amount of change you make at a specific rpm and range of throttle input.
Battery Voltage - Very easy to read.
Throttle Input Very easy to read again
AFM input Very easy to read again
RPM Can it get any easier then this?
Knock For turbo engines
I think I might be forgetting something else to. There is NO monitor feature for the Air:Fuel Ratio on the SAFC. The only way you could possibly do this ONLY with a narrow range O2 is to hook the O2 sensor wire at the ECU to the blue wire on the SAFC. You would only be able to see the voltage of the O2 though.

The AEM or ANY wideband monitor will ONLY monitor the Air:Fuel mixture and will NOT adjust it.

You need these TWO items plus a dyno, which usually has a wideband O2 feature built in, to perform and perfect tune.

If you start making mods on your car you need to step it up a notch and try to go with an after market ecu to get the most of your performance
Very incorrect. When you start modifing your engine, that is when you get the SAFC or RTek or Standalone to make fuel adjustments. SAFC works great and has been used on ported motors for many years making very nice HP. It has its limites which is why it so cheap compaired to the Rtek or standalone.

green to red and when it is in red it means take it to a shop ASAP unlike the afc which is an analog and its indicators are more complex
You really think that the gauge is digital when a few lights, light up? The SAFC is digital, not analog. When the meter goes to red, where do you think your AFR is at? Why do you need to take it to a shop ASAP?
RotaMan99 is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 07:18 PM
  #23  
Rotary Freak
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whorider
Thank you! I amy be an F.N.G. to rotary and tuning, but, I was pretty sure that was the idea of wideband and SAFC
That post was not directed toward you. It was directed toward Morondongon.
RotaMan99 is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 11:44 AM
  #24  
GxL/T2
10 Year Member
 
Morondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Easton (Palmer Twp) Pa
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RotaMan99 View Post
Your not getting it.

The SAFC, Super Air Flow Converter, I call it Super Air Fuel Computer, sounds better. Is used to ADJUST how much fuel is to be injected into the motor by modifing the AFM signal. The AFC has no idea what your AFR is, it does NOT monitor it either. Below is what the AFM can MONITOR!

Correction Percentage - The amount of change you make at a specific rpm and range of throttle input.
Battery Voltage - Very easy to read.
Throttle Input Very easy to read again
AFM input Very easy to read again
RPM Can it get any easier then this?
Knock For turbo engines
I think I might be forgetting something else to. There is NO monitor feature for the Air:Fuel Ratio on the SAFC. The only way you could possibly do this ONLY with a narrow range O2 is to hook the O2 sensor wire at the ECU to the blue wire on the SAFC. You would only be able to see the voltage of the O2 though.



The AEM or ANY wideband monitor will ONLY monitor the Air:Fuel mixture and will NOT adjust it.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right.

You really think that the gauge is digital when a few lights, light up? The SAFC is digital, not analog. When the meter goes to red, where do you think your AFR is at? Why do you need to take it to a shop ASAP?[/QUOTE]

You could place the AFR in a gauge pod by the driver side or somewere in the dash. I don't think that the AFR is digital i know it is it displays the engine afr http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=70 If the AFR is in the red then you are running too rich or too lean which could damage the egine so you might want to get it check out.
I apologize i made a mistake when i typed. What i tryied to say was that the display of the AFR is much more simpler than the SAFC. I had the SAFC and now i have the AFR and i like it much better.
Morondongon is offline  
Old 06-24-07, 05:36 AM
  #25  
T04Z 13B-RE
5 Year Member
iTrader: (6)
 
NaturalSmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Morondongon
the display of the AFR is much more simpler than the SAFC. I had the SAFC and now i have the AFR and i like it much better.
WTH! If you have an SAFC, a wideband sensor has to be used as well. Even if you have a stand alone, you need a wideband! Granted you could take it to a dyno everytime you want it retuned, but it could get expensive in the long run.
NaturalSmooth is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: n/a with safc?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: