BorgWarner EFR 8374 IWG Dyno Results - Page 4 - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

Go Back  RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum > Tech and Performance > Single Turbo RX-7's
Reload this Page >

BorgWarner EFR 8374 IWG Dyno Results

Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

BorgWarner EFR 8374 IWG Dyno Results

Old 04-22-15, 09:10 AM
  #76  
Full Member
 
wangracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rx7 SE View Post
What is the rpm spread in this graph above? The torque curve looks excellent! All these efr threads are making want to ditch the 6266 .
Apologies. Dyno charts without rpm on the x axis make baby Jesus cry

Rough conversion based on my gear calc spreadsheet using my gear ratios (os giken close ratio box and 4.8 final drive) is 82 is approx 3200, 93 is 3600, 104 is 4200, 115 is 4600, 126 is 5000, 137 is 5500, 148 6200, 159 6800.

Last edited by wangracing; 04-22-15 at 09:24 AM.
wangracing is offline  
Old 04-22-15, 09:20 AM
  #77  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rx7 SE View Post
What is the rpm spread in this graph above? The torque curve looks excellent! All these efr threads are making want to ditch the 6266 .
I have ridden in an EFR7670, and I have a GT3574R (everything done for earlier spool (.84 AR, long intake, velocity stack, V-mount, 3" open exhaust, tuned with slight retarded timing in spool area, little richer AFR in that area, etc), except small street port), similar to your 6266.

There is no comparison between the two. The EFR7670 is a superior turbo or EFR8374. The EFR turbo's spool so early that they are much easier to drive. you can peddle it, its also easier as the EFR7670 starts to lose a little power at redline, drops off a little, I actually like this as a driver as you aren't holding your steering wheel white knuckled as the car is making almost max power with other turbo's up there.


Since I am at higher altitudes I would choose the EFR7670 for what I like. the power hits soon and its easy to drive. great autoX turbo and you could track it if wanted. There is NO way a larger turbo is going to even hold a candle to the EFR7670 on the AutoX track. you can turn the corner and BAM power, torque, its all there, you can finesse it if needed. A larger turbo won't spool quick enough to do really anything. The larger turbo's IMO are a big waste as they aren't streetable, they are slow to boost unless very high in the rev range, and I am willing to bet that a 350WHP EFR7670 against a 500-600WHP larger turbo couldn't beat this turbo on the majority of smaller tracks or street or canyon roads out there because you can peddle around a corner in the middle of the rav range and the power is there. you can take a gear higher and smoothly get through a corner and BAM power when you roll back on.

Sorry, I have a crush on the EFR turbo's I wish I had one.


Danny Popp won the ultima challenge last year with high 550 or so WHP corvette going against much more WHP cars. He won because he has power in the lower rev range and its there BAM! The EFR7670 turbo is like this, it will make you faster, especially if you aren't a great driver.

Last edited by lOOkatme; 04-22-15 at 09:23 AM.
lOOkatme is offline  
Old 04-22-15, 09:23 AM
  #78  
Adaptronic Distributor
RX7Club Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Turblown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 6,840
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Great results Blaise ! The 8374 is a better turbo than our TDX61(TDX62 has same wheel dimensions as 8374 fyi). High nickel content SS turbine housing, better turbine and bearing tech, not to mention built in bov, speed sensor port and ebc solenoid. 8374 really shines with the iwg in terms of simplicity. The journal bearing tdx series is a very good bang for buck for those who cannot afford a EFR.
Turblown is offline  
Old 04-22-15, 09:18 PM
  #79  
Rare for a Reason
iTrader: (13)
 
Narfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 5,383
Thanked 78 Times in 57 Posts
What's the latest on running the IWGs hard?
Narfle is offline  
Old 04-23-15, 01:17 PM
  #80  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lOOkatme View Post
The EFR turbo's spool so early that they are much easier to drive. you can peddle it, its also easier as the EFR7670 starts to lose a little power at redline, drops off a little, I actually like this as a driver as you aren't holding your steering wheel white knuckled as the car is making almost max power with other turbo's up there. Since I am at higher altitudes I would choose the EFR7670 for what I like. the power hits soon and its easy to drive. great autoX turbo and you could track it if wanted. There is NO way a larger turbo is going to even hold a candle to the EFR7670 on the AutoX track. you can turn the corner and BAM power, torque, its all there, you can finesse it if needed. A larger turbo won't spool quick enough to do really anything. The larger turbo's IMO are a big waste as they aren't streetable, they are slow to boost unless very high in the rev range, and I am willing to bet that a 350WHP EFR7670 against a 500-600WHP larger turbo couldn't beat this turbo on the majority of smaller tracks or street or canyon roads out there because you can peddle around a corner in the middle of the rav range and the power is there. you can take a gear higher and smoothly get through a corner and BAM power when you roll back on..
thats a great post... people forget we dont race dyno-charts

Originally Posted by Narfle View Post
What's the latest on running the IWGs hard?
Unless you're targetting boost levels above 2bar i think IWG is the way to go. the key is to use an appropriate WG actuator spring

Originally Posted by Turblown View Post
Great results Blaise ! The 8374 is a better turbo than our TDX61(TDX62 has same wheel dimensions as 8374 fyi). High nickel content SS turbine housing, better turbine and bearing tech, not to mention built in bov, speed sensor port and ebc solenoid. 8374 really shines with the iwg in terms of simplicity.
Full-Race Geoff is offline  
Old 05-05-15, 05:42 PM
  #81  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bristol, U.K
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turblown View Post
515rwhp was the max recorded. We have a ported motor going in now, and we will be testing all 3 turbochargers back to back( 7670/8374/9180 IWG). I have all the turbochargers here ready to go.

@515rwhp it also makes 450rwtq( similar to what cars making past 600rwhp make). Also since it comes on so early, it is much faster than what your standard 515rwhp feels like. Just watch the videos...

Turblown EFR IWG 8374 Turbo System Testing - YouTube

Turblown EFR IWG 8374 Roll Racing - YouTube
any updates on the above?
rx7srbad is offline  
Old 05-05-15, 06:46 PM
  #82  
Adaptronic Distributor
RX7Club Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Turblown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 6,840
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
We have out fitted a t4 iwg 9180 and building the engine...going to try near 40psi with shaft speed sensor.
Turblown is offline  
Old 05-06-15, 05:17 PM
  #83  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bristol, U.K
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turblown View Post
We have out fitted a t4 iwg 9180 and building the engine...going to try near 40psi with shaft speed sensor.
sounds good. will be interesting to see how the 9180 spools as compared to the 8374.

A kind request if you can please do some 15psi/1bar runs on the 7670, 8374 and 9180... before you gents turn up the boost to insane levels
rx7srbad is offline  
Old 05-06-15, 07:29 PM
  #84  
Rare for a Reason
iTrader: (13)
 
Narfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 5,383
Thanked 78 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rx7srbad View Post
sounds good. will be interesting to see how the 9180 spools as compared to the 8374.

A kind request if you can please do some 15psi/1bar runs on the 7670, 8374 and 9180... before you gents turn up the boost to insane levels
Problem there is those e85/race-fuel numbers won't correlate very well to pump gas numbers. I would be interested to see it, though.
Narfle is offline  
Old 05-06-15, 08:47 PM
  #85  
Adaptronic Distributor
RX7Club Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Turblown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 6,840
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
We are doing a flex fuel tune too guys
Low and high boost on both pump and e85...
Turblown is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 08:34 AM
  #86  
Rotary Freak
iTrader: (8)
 
rx72c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,608
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have 2 9180 and 2 8374 projects coming up soon so well have more results to come
ill keep posting up for the people who care.
rx72c is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 09:27 AM
  #87  
Enthusiast
iTrader: (5)
 
rx7 SE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turblown View Post
We are doing a flex fuel tune too guys
Low and high boost on both pump and e85...
Originally Posted by rx72c View Post
We have 2 9180 and 2 8374 projects coming up soon so well have more results to come
ill keep posting up for the people who care.
Exciting data to come! I'm already sold though, just have to find the time to swap out the 6266 for an EFR counterpart.
rx7 SE is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 01:54 PM
  #88  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bristol, U.K
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turblown View Post
We are doing a flex fuel tune too guys
Low and high boost on both pump and e85...
Wow cant wait....awesome news
rx7srbad is offline  
Old 05-14-15, 04:18 AM
  #89  
Sleeper
iTrader: (21)
 
ArmenMAxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,478
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Though its not an IWG, I posted a video of my footwork at the track which really does a good job demonstrating how nice the response of the 8374 is.

https://www.rx7club.com/racing-kills.../#post11914061
ArmenMAxx is offline  
Old 05-25-15, 09:29 AM
  #90  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,479
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Hopefully this will be on the dyno somewhere soon... p.s.: Why are forum attachments coming in upside down?
Attached Thumbnails BorgWarner EFR 8374 IWG Dyno Results-img_3471.jpg  

Last edited by ptrhahn; 05-25-15 at 09:45 AM.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 05-25-15, 03:43 PM
  #91  
Adaptronic Distributor
RX7Club Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Turblown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 6,840
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Here you got Peter..

Looks really good! We are excited to see how it turns out of for you.

I have had several more people install and run the kit, but no one has dyno tuned it( just street tuned).

I have confirmed the kit clears the RHD cars also( for other people reading)..
Attached Thumbnails BorgWarner EFR 8374 IWG Dyno Results-peter-8374-iwg.jpg  
Turblown is offline  
Old 05-26-15, 10:57 PM
  #92  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll throw in my own little teaser. managed to get my car running and boosting with the EFR 8374.
This is just the rough map to get it on the road, now its time to start tuning. The surprising thing is that it holds peak boost at 6psi with the waste gate plumbed straight to boost pressure. I'll hopefully get to checking for boost leaks tomorrow but it didn't sound like there were any major leaks.

This is on a stock port engine with a recent rebuild(15K km's or so).
diesel dakota is offline  
Old 06-08-15, 04:23 PM
  #93  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bristol, U.K
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any updates?
rx7srbad is offline  
Old 06-11-15, 04:40 PM
  #94  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel dakota View Post
I'll throw in my own little teaser. managed to get my car running and boosting with the EFR 8374.
This is just the rough map to get it on the road, now its time to start tuning. The surprising thing is that it holds peak boost at 6psi with the waste gate plumbed straight to boost pressure. I'll hopefully get to checking for boost leaks tomorrow but it didn't sound like there were any major leaks.

This is on a stock port engine with a recent rebuild(15K km's or so).
Found a big boost leak, did one small pull and it went up to 7psi before I let off. I have to solve some idle tuning issue before I get into street boost tuning, then I'll report back with the actual minimum boost possible and other details.
diesel dakota is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 12:30 AM
  #95  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 8374 holds about 9psi from my testing today with no control solenoid. when I set that up I'll probably set it to 10 so that the boost should stay nice and flat, I'll probably go up to 15psi or so and that's as high as I would want to go on my current setup.

this is stock port
3.5" downpipe and resonated midpipe
3" catback

shorty manifold that is pretty similar to turblown's but home made.
550 primaries 1680 secondaries
horrible temp intake setup
greddy front mount
diesel dakota is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 01:04 AM
  #96  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,075
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel dakota View Post
my 8374 holds about 9psi from my testing today with no control solenoid. when I set that up I'll probably set it to 10 so that the boost should stay nice and flat, I'll probably go up to 15psi or so and that's as high as I would want to go on my current setup.

this is stock port
3.5" downpipe and resonated midpipe
3" catback

shorty manifold that is pretty similar to turblown's but home made.
550 primaries 1680 secondaries
horrible temp intake setup
greddy front mount
This info is real cool, because my next engine build will have higher compression rotors and I want to run low boost for 91 octane. What compression are you running? You said stock ports?
GrossPolluter is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 12:00 PM
  #97  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrossPolluter View Post
This info is real cool, because my next engine build will have higher compression rotors and I want to run low boost for 91 octane. What compression are you running? You said stock ports?
the engine is from a stock 1992 jdm FD, I rebuilt it myself with the Atkins kit. I might look into porting the wastegate on the turbo a little as I still plan on freeing up the exhaust flow a little so it will creep a little higher.

here is a video of one of my pulls, this is with the wastegate attached straight to a boost source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJV...ature=youtu.be
diesel dakota is offline  
Old 06-13-15, 03:30 PM
  #98  
IRP Engine - Complete!
iTrader: (28)
 
Monkman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pasco, Washington
Posts: 3,192
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Is everyone having success with retaining the air conditioning?
Monkman33 is offline  
Old 06-13-15, 03:47 PM
  #99  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkman33 View Post
Is everyone having success with retaining the air conditioning?
I believe it doesn't matter just like with any other single turbo. Your intercooler and rad setup is what interferes with the air conditioning and that is independent of the turbo choice.
diesel dakota is offline  
Old 06-13-15, 11:59 PM
  #100  
IRP Engine - Complete!
iTrader: (28)
 
Monkman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pasco, Washington
Posts: 3,192
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel dakota View Post
I believe it doesn't matter just like with any other single turbo. Your intercooler and rad setup is what interferes with the air conditioning and that is independent of the turbo choice.
Not so. With a low mounted turbo, you have to look at the clearance of the two lines running along the frame rail to the firewall.
Monkman33 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BorgWarner EFR 8374 IWG Dyno Results


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: