Build Threads The place to discuss complete builds

The Monsterbox 4 Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-16, 02:02 AM

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Congratulations! This is so fn awesome! I finally have my new build running and I am super happy but it is nothing compared to this. Can't even imagine how you feel after pulling off something like this in such a short amount of time. Just amazing!
Old 10-14-16, 06:45 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
awesome build....you have to change your licence plate ahahhahahaah
Old 10-14-16, 08:39 AM
OMG a Chupacabra!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I will say after seeing what Dahm did to his FD during the 4-rotor build I do appreciate you not molesting the body as bad as him :-D

--Looking good!!!

Also, as far as the license plate...I think you should keep it. It would make it a sleeper LOL
Old 10-14-16, 12:03 PM
Mazzei Formula

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts
Thank you guys!

Hint:

The 20b tag will be used for our secret event to launch on Nov 1
Old 10-16-16, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great work!

Quads are the king of kings!

If your got Brent Curran on your side your winning! Fly him state side to tune her!!

He comes over to Australia and tunes. He tuned my 20B and the tune is amazing....couldn't recommend anyone else.

-Dave.
Old 10-17-16, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsterbox
Hey, I know that Yukon and trailer :P

Nice to see the car moving under its own power now, it sounds maaaad!
Old 10-18-16, 10:35 AM
Mazzei Formula

Originally Posted by mastawyrm
Hey, I know that Yukon and trailer :P

Nice to see the car moving under its own power now, it sounds maaaad!

Maybe you're one of the Hards

If so, heck yea, thanks and come by again!

Last edited by Monsterbox; 10-18-16 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-18-16, 10:36 AM
Mazzei Formula

OK guys we have it all finished up. Just have to stay tuned for the official video. So happy to see all the panels on her. So close now.

MPFab did extraordinary job on the exhaust system. However she's a little too tame for my taste, need to hack one of the beautiful mufflers off for more angry beehive!

Thanks for following as always.
Old 10-18-16, 10:39 AM
Mazzei Formula

Originally Posted by stokrx
Great work!

Quads are the king of kings!

If your got Brent Curran on your side your winning! Fly him state side to tune her!!

He comes over to Australia and tunes. He tuned my 20B and the tune is amazing....couldn't recommend anyone else.

-Dave.
Thank you,

Yes, he tells it like it is, and is a true rotary hero! If can afford in the upcoming months to bring him here, that would be extraordinary. Glad to hear he got you squared up. And 20b, nice!
Old 10-19-16, 09:56 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe you're the true rotary hero.
Old 10-22-16, 03:23 AM
Mazzei Formula

Old 10-22-16, 03:51 AM

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Are you doing some sort of traction/launch control?
Old 10-23-16, 10:15 PM
Garage Hero

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Good Work man!!
Old 10-25-16, 07:57 AM
Original Gangster/Rotary!

Received 539 Likes on 326 Posts
Man, I'd love to see/hear/experience this car in person...... can't imagine what this engine and turbo combo will do to a factory gearbox and rear end
Old 10-25-16, 09:46 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't launch it and don't pull hard on third gear
Old 10-25-16, 08:58 PM

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Need more videos. This static stuff just isn't cutting it anymore
Old 10-29-16, 01:38 AM

^Was the video of the neighborhood drive not posted on here? it sounds BRUTAL
Old 10-30-16, 03:30 PM
Mazzei Formula

I dont know how to share from Facebook, but you can try this link.

Facebook Post

This weekend was a dream come true.

Make America Brap Again was filmed on Friday night, with over 75 people attending. We filled the unit with proud americans, some of our best friends, and fired up these rotary vehicles revving to redline after performing the national anthem on trumpet. We love this country, and we love race cars. And refuse to accept the negativity of the media into our hearts.

The car officially runs and drive. Ahead of schedule.

No sponsors. No donations. No features. Only hardwork and friendship.

From here we plan to start a non-profit organization and/or establish an entity that will operate with non-profit foundations. Formula Seven plans to start a fundraiser campaign for Veteran Suicide Awareness, where we will host car events locally to raise funds and awareness. Plans are in the works to begin the ideas for the 4 Rotor Turbo SLC. This next project will invite sponsors and industry cooperation as it will be an awareness vehicle built for raffle.

For now, off to finish tuning this car, finishing up some loose ends, addressing ever last issue and purchasing the sequential gear box. So proud to say, that this car was started January 23rd and finished October 28th. Not a second was wasted, not a dollar was wasted. We hope to inspire and we appreciate all of our inspirations that have come before us.

Thank you guys for following. We hope our voices are heard, that hard work and sacrifice can achieve all dreams.

Stay tuned for the video. It was shot on the EPIC RED in 6k, no more potato

Last edited by Monsterbox; 10-30-16 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 05:21 PM
Procrastinator

That Doritos photo is gold! Love the build!
Old 10-31-16, 01:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You and Rob need to have some sort of meet up and a drag race!
Old 10-31-16, 01:49 AM
Listen to King Diamond.

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn that's a lot of Doritos.

Congrats on getting the car running and driving! That time table is impressive! I know there have to be some dyno videos on the way, I'm very excited for those.

Last edited by need RX7; 10-31-16 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-31-16, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So.... the question we all have on our hearts and minds. Whens the skid vid coming?!

I wanna hear it hit boost and see the flailing arms of a madman trying to keep this beast going straight and under control!!!!

But in all seriousness bro - your work is inspiring, bordering on obsessive and just plain breathtaking
Old 10-31-16, 07:35 AM

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
'Dat fuel pump whine.
Old 10-31-16, 09:17 AM
Mazzei Formula

Thanks guys!

So I've pushed really hard to get this car running in record time. Now need to take it steady and cautiously and get every bug worked out and smoothed over before we dyno her. I'd like to get some initial boost tuning done over this winter, but the cold temps aren't realistic to tune in and the tires will kill me in cold weather

For now I've got a few issues. One is the fuel temps getting really hot, the exhaust temps are radiating into the aluminum fuel rails and soaking them to 200+F. So I will fabricate a titanium or aluminum sheet metal heat shield and insulate the downpipe.

The IAT are also around 130F after the water heat soaks into the intercooler system. Its not to bad for 90F ambient temps and for an intercooler that literally sits ontop of the nuclear reactor. However, it could be vastly improved. First, a front mount heat exchanger will be mounted this weekend in front of the radiator. Radiator temps have been perfect, like 170F and 160F on cruising, so a a small heat exhanger in front of it doesn't concern me. This should definitely help to cool the intercooler water when the car is moving as even 25mph air will greatly exceed the ability of the rear mounted coolers. Also considering removing the intake manifold and insulating the bottom w/ heat blanket and heat blanketing the entire top of the engine, the housings and irons.

Once the temperatures are spot on, then its game time for tuning. The absolute worst case scenario is that intake temps drop but still remain 20+ degrees over ambient. Even though its not to bad, to protect from higher boost heat, it's strongly considered to run water injection. Maybe 600cc right out of the compressor housing outlet at 1psi of boost. It would just be nice to know that distilled water is cleaning the carbon and actively cooling charge temps in addition to the intercooler temps.

I'm beginning to believe that all RX7's have inaccurate IAT readings. We are always measuring IAT post intercooler, but neat the throttle body side of our or intake manifolds. I would make a bet that if you measured your IAT in same location as mine, close the intake runner side of manifold, near the downpipe, you'd see that your nice cooled intake charge is greatly reheated by the heat soak of the manifold. This may explain why so many engines detonate for what appears to be no reason. Being that the exhaust ports are so close to intake on rotary engines, it beginning to seem like the hottest part of the entire intake tract is not the post turbo piping, but in fact the intake runners themselves. Really excited to be at the point where we can be driving and testing. This is so fun. And these methods will be applied to the next build.

And on a second note, I think it's great how people keep comparing this car to Robs. If I had a dollar for every time I've been asked if this was Rob's car, we'd be able to build 2 more of these. In all seriousness I wish him the best luck on getting his car running, when it runs we'd love to invite him to shoot a video with us. Would be very cool to have 8 rotors in one screen!

Last edited by Monsterbox; 10-31-16 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-31-16, 09:22 AM

that intake makes my day..

Quick Reply: The Monsterbox 4 Rotor