Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Roll Cage Legality

Old 12-20-07, 09:44 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll Cage Legality

When i get an FC i would like to put a full cage in for track days and the like. So the question i have is, it legal to drive on the street with a full cage in your car?
Technik is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 10:00 AM
  #2  
needs more track time
iTrader: (14)
 
gracer7-rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,833
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure if its legal, but it is not particularly safe on the street. Those hard rolled bars near your head and body can hurt if you don't have multi point seat belts and a helmet.

I had a head on accident once in one of my FC and my limbs and torso were flying all over the place. Got some decent bruises.

fwiw, a close friend of mine rolled his FC one night. We were on the street screwing around when we were younger and dumber and the right rear suspension broke doing 120 MPH in a long sweeper. He took out 2 telephone posts and proceeded to roll 5-6 times. The car held up well. The top wasn't crushed too badly at the B pillars. He walked away with nothing but a few scratches from broken glass flying around.
gracer7-rx7 is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 10:05 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with the full cage i would have multi point belts. i have heard that most instructors refuse to get into a car with multi points without a cage. what other options are there half cage? for the most part the car is going to be a fun car driven occasionally and a track *****, you think its still plausable to have the cage?
Technik is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 03:15 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a true need for the cage or do you just want it? If you're going to be driving it on the street moreso than the track i'd pass on the cage
4thtry is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 03:44 PM
  #5  
needs more track time
iTrader: (14)
 
gracer7-rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,833
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Technik View Post
with the full cage i would have multi point belts. i have heard that most instructors refuse to get into a car with multi points without a cage. what other options are there half cage? for the most part the car is going to be a fun car driven occasionally and a track *****, you think its still plausable to have the cage?

I'm no expert but I personally would not.

Probably the most I would do is some kind of bolt in roll bar like an Autopower. I would of course research it first and see how close it would come to my head before installing it.

What is your experience level? What run group do you normally track in?
gracer7-rx7 is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 03:51 PM
  #6  
Rotary Enthusiast
10 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 863
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put a main bar and rear bars at most some door bars. Stay away from a halo in a street car. multipoint harness or not your melon will hit it and kill you on the street....shame to die from a minor 10mph fender bender
LT1RX7 is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 05:46 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gracer7-rx7 View Post
I'm no expert but I personally would not.

Probably the most I would do is some kind of bolt in roll bar like an Autopower. I would of course research it first and see how close it would come to my head before installing it.

What is your experience level? What run group do you normally track in?
i have little to no experience on track.
Technik is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 09:56 PM
  #8  
Old Rotary Dog
10 Year Member
 
wrankin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,461
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In that case I would recommend going for a roll-bar (main hoop, diagonal and rearward bracing) rather than a full cage. Since you aren't going to go door-to-door (at least not initially) a full cage is overkill. A good bar will get you some additional roll-over protection, give you a safe mounting point for harnesses and be perfectly fine to run around on the street with.

Of course, you don't need any of this for HPDE/PDXs. You may consider focusing on getting the car to the track and doing a weekend before you go down this slippary slope. Take a look around and see what other people are running.

I am impressed that you are having this conversation on safety before going to the track (rather than the normal "how do I make my car faster for the track" ).

Good luck,

-bill
wrankin is offline  
Old 12-20-07, 11:00 PM
  #9  
Turbo widebody FB
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Dan_s_young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,734
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know locally you are not allowed to wear a harness on the street. Even if you are wearing your factory seatbelt and have the harness over it you will get a ticket.

Read up on your local laws but personally I agree with these other guys saying that a roll bar is a better idea.
Dan_s_young is offline  
Old 12-21-07, 12:44 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
In that case I would recommend going for a roll-bar (main hoop, diagonal and rearward bracing) rather than a full cage. Since you aren't going to go door-to-door (at least not initially) a full cage is overkill. A good bar will get you some additional roll-over protection, give you a safe mounting point for harnesses and be perfectly fine to run around on the street with.

Of course, you don't need any of this for HPDE/PDXs. You may consider focusing on getting the car to the track and doing a weekend before you go down this slippary slope. Take a look around and see what other people are running.

I am impressed that you are having this conversation on safety before going to the track (rather than the normal "how do I make my car faster for the track" ).

Good luck,

-bill
thanks then. im more along the lines of the old SCCA sayings "make it stop, make it turn, then make it fast"
Technik is offline  
Old 12-30-07, 01:13 AM
  #11  
GTUs WHORE!
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
JunpoweR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Bay Area - California
Posts: 1,353
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never drive cars on the street with a Full roll cage but a standard 4 point rear only cage is nice if you race in the street.
Out here in cali I haven't been in a car that got pulled over for having a full cage in it yet but it will attract attention.
Have your rear window limo tinted if you want to hide it.

If your going to run a full cage make sure you pad your bars with foam padding. This will help a bit if you do decide to hit your head/helmet against your bars.

Wear your standard seatbelt on the streets and a harness on the track.
JunpoweR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: