Go Back  RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum > Tech and Performance > Race Car Tech
Reload this Page >

new to racing, good autoX set ups for an 85 first gen?

Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

new to racing, good autoX set ups for an 85 first gen?

Old 05-20-11, 07:21 AM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
79RX7GUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: vermont
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to racing, good autoX set ups for an 85 first gen?

Recently picked up an 85 first gen. What are good autoX set up's for it? Where should I start with mods? Thanks!
79RX7GUY is offline  
Old 05-20-11, 10:48 AM
  #2  
Lives on the Forum

 
Kentetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 11,361
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several very good threads on this subject in the 1st gen tech section. Most of us are looking to www.re-speed.com for suspension and performance parts.

Take a look at the equipment in my signature line, and watch some videos if you like. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific quesions. Always happy to help someone get started in this great sport.



.
Kentetsu is offline  
Old 05-22-11, 08:31 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charlestown Indiana
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also kind of looking at the same thing. I have raced in autocross a little already but with front wheel drive honda's. I have not raced this rx7 yet and I have no idea how it will handle around these turns and if it will oversteer real bad or not. But so far I have been told to pretty much start with a holley carburetor, and manifold. Then get a higher flow fuel pump, new exhaust system, new plugs and wires and as far as I know that's all unless you have the money for turbo. (Unfortunately not all of us are rich enough for a good turbo lol.) But, of course that is just all things to get you more power. With autocross I would figure suspension would be more of a need than power. I have heard that the tokico Illumina struts are good to get along with the racingbeat springs. I have not personally gotten them yet, but I plan to and many people say that they like them.
bahlorm is offline  
Old 05-22-11, 08:43 PM
  #4  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,578
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
the illumina's are good, i'd skip the racing beat springs though, and just go right to coil overs.

the RB springs are basically too close to stock for racing.

skip the holley too, they do not work in turns.
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 05-23-11, 06:07 AM
  #5  
Lives on the Forum

 
Kentetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 11,361
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started out with Racing Beat springs and swaybars. Within a year they were up for sale. Respeed is the only way to go in my opinion...

And yeah, skip the power for now and concentrate on suspension. Strip everything you don't need from the engine bay (assuming you are racing in CSP, otherwise you wouldn't be interested in suspension mods, right?). Exhaust should also be high on your list. Skip the Holley carb, you won't get the responsiveness you need from it. You'd be better off just stripping the stock carb and doing the mechanical secondaries mod.
Kentetsu is offline  
Old 05-24-11, 10:12 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charlestown Indiana
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah I never realized that respeed had coilovers then that is also what I will have to add on my list lol.
bahlorm is offline  
Old 05-26-11, 02:42 PM
  #7  
1308ccs of awesome
iTrader: (9)
 
eage8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Woodbine, MD
Posts: 6,176
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bahlorm View Post
I am also kind of looking at the same thing. I have raced in autocross a little already but with front wheel drive honda's. I have not raced this rx7 yet and I have no idea how it will handle around these turns and if it will oversteer real bad or not. But so far I have been told to pretty much start with a holley carburetor, and manifold. Then get a higher flow fuel pump, new exhaust system, new plugs and wires and as far as I know that's all unless you have the money for turbo. (Unfortunately not all of us are rich enough for a good turbo lol.) But, of course that is just all things to get you more power. With autocross I would figure suspension would be more of a need than power. I have heard that the tokico Illumina struts are good to get along with the racingbeat springs. I have not personally gotten them yet, but I plan to and many people say that they like them.
First: it's probably not going to oversteer at all, with stock suspension it'll probably still understeer

second, before you start throwing parts at the car, you need to pick which class you want to compete in... or else you'll end up in a class with crazy cars you can't possibly compete against and then it won't be fun...
eage8 is offline  
Old 05-27-11, 08:22 AM
  #8  
Mr. September FB 2011
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
nofords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a good set of rubber and go have fun. Get some seat time in the car. Tires, brakes and suspension are your friends.

If you do anything to the engine, get an exhaust (header and pipes) to start. Nothing more.

Learn the car and enjoy it. As your skill progresses in this car, then increase power output. In that order.

Last edited by nofords; 05-27-11 at 08:35 AM.
nofords is offline  
Old 05-28-11, 04:03 AM
  #9  
Lives on the Forum

 
Kentetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 11,361
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nofords View Post
Get a good set of rubber and go have fun. Get some seat time in the car. Tires, brakes and suspension are your friends.

If you do anything to the engine, get an exhaust (header and pipes) to start. Nothing more.

Learn the car and enjoy it. As your skill progresses in this car, then increase power output. In that order.
Listen to this guy.

Athough, personally, I prefer to start out on cheap tires. Learning on race rubber is not recommended because it will tend to "hide" the mistakes that you are making. Some of todays "good" street tires are nearly as sticky.
Kentetsu is offline  
Old 05-28-11, 11:11 AM
  #10  
Mr. September FB 2011
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
nofords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps I should clarify!

Instead of saying good rubber, i should have said "Quality" rubber. True: R-Comps or anything with a treadwear less than 400 is going to hide inconsistencies.

Start with a summer tire that actually has a mileage warranty. Most tires in the "sticky when hot" category don't sport a mileage warranty.

One more comment that i can make about beginning autocross, is that fear the dry, embrace the wet track! Your learning curve will be huge with a wet circuit as you will learn the feeling when the car is on the edge a lot faster and will be more apparent. You will learn to be smooth and consistent with steering, braking and power application.
nofords is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:38 AM
  #11  
FB Maniac
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
mazda6guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Disputanta, VA
Posts: 919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Werd! Wet courses FTW!

Originally Posted by nofords View Post
perhaps I should clarify!

Instead of saying good rubber, i should have said "Quality" rubber. True: R-Comps or anything with a treadwear less than 400 is going to hide inconsistencies.

Start with a summer tire that actually has a mileage warranty. Most tires in the "sticky when hot" category don't sport a mileage warranty.

One more comment that i can make about beginning autocross, is that fear the dry, embrace the wet track! Your learning curve will be huge with a wet circuit as you will learn the feeling when the car is on the edge a lot faster and will be more apparent. You will learn to be smooth and consistent with steering, braking and power application.
mazda6guy is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 07:39 AM
  #12  
Migrant Rotorhead
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Viich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 236
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One move opinion.... listen if you want, you've probably already gone whatever route you're going.

IF the only reason you're modifying the car is to autocross, don't change anything that'll move you out of stock class to start with. Start with shocks (the stock ones are probably blown anyway), replace bushings (I'd recommend against poly in the rear, but I LOVE poly in the front end), replace or rebuild brake calipers, etc. Replace sway bar end links. Ball joints. Tie rod ends. Things like that will make as big a difference as the springs, carb, etc. that bump you to higher classes.

Careful with replacing brake pads with stickier compounds, I had to add a brake bias adjuster after going to Hawk HP+ pads, the increased stickiness took me before the knee in the proportioning valve, and my rears locked up too quick! Just a lesson in unintended consequences for me, I guess.

I started autocross with the car bone stock (it was pretty slow, especially with me driving) I've got RE-Speed coilovers all round (300#/150#), tokico illuminas, RE-Speed swaybar in the front, stock one with new end links in the rear,
Viich is offline  
Old 08-10-11, 06:00 AM
  #13  
Lives on the Forum

 
Kentetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 11,361
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After racing on $45.00 tires for the last 7 years, I finally ordered some sticky Hankooks this week. Now its going to be a whole new ball game.
Kentetsu is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Marty RE
New Member RX-7 Technical
0
08-13-15 11:19 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to racing, good autoX set ups for an 85 first gen?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: