Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Mike Skeen VIR Full course in my 93' RX7

Old 06-23-12, 09:30 AM
  #1  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mike Skeen VIR Full course in my 93' RX7



Hey guys...Hope this works. I did the Enhanced Driver Training with Trackdaze
June 8, 2012. Mike Skeen was the Instructor. Awesome driver to say the least.
I thought it to be a great opportunity to have a pro evaluate my suspension set-up
and the car overall. Mike gave me great input; I seriously need my new front sway
bar (hint, hint...Don Walker...LOL). I use the AIM Solo and Mike did an overlay
of his laps with mine That wasa truly a "telling experiance". BTW; in many ways
Mike prefers the AIM over the Trackmate. I wanted to put some original music
to the video but, I was challenged enough just to get my youtube account up and
running. Final note; if you have the chance to do this EDT program with Trackdaze...
DO IT. Well worth the $185.00. Cheers!

Dave
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 10:23 AM
  #2  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edit...RX7. Old age is setting in.
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 01:21 PM
  #3  
needs more track time
iTrader: (14)
 
gracer7-rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,833
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So..... what is your suspension setup and what did he have to say?

I just bought an AIM Solo myself. Going to try it for the first time next weekend.
gracer7-rx7 is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 01:52 PM
  #4  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gracer7-rx7 View Post
So..... what is your suspension setup and what did he have to say?

I just bought an AIM Solo myself. Going to try it for the first time next weekend.
I still have the stock sway bars in this video. The struts were set too loose in the
session he drove the car. I took the another four clicks to the hard side and was
more stable under braking. I have the Apexi N1 struts on the car now. He still did
a 2:12 in a somewhat unruly set-up and my 215 lbs. in the car. Pretty impressive
for only a total of four complete laps in a car he had never driven. The AIM Solo is easy to operate, even I can do it....
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 05:11 PM
  #5  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
That's awesome. Do you have a copy of his AIM lap trace? I'd love to overlay w/ my own as well. So far, I love the AIM.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 09:17 AM
  #6  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
That's awesome. Do you have a copy of his AIM lap trace? I'd love to overlay w/ my own as well. So far, I love the AIM.
Pete,
It would be great to see that. I know you are doing much better times than me. It would definitely help me see what your doing. With his overlay; I learned that my
braking at Oak Tree and T14 was way too early. Did you get your engine sorted out?
I have an exhaust leak @ the rear turbo flange...again; and now a 5th gear synchro
grind as well. I'm going to try and combine the two trannys I have to make one good one. I definitely don't like the 93' 5th gear. It lugs like a ****. No assatall.

Dave

P.S. I will try to post the trace for you. Keep in mind I'm severely challenged in
the tech world. Mike did all the computer work on his laptop up in timing and scoring.
Cheers!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 09:24 AM
  #7  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
^^^

Thanks Dave. I haven't pulled a trace off my AIM yet, but I'm going to try it.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 10:06 AM
  #8  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,317
Received 111 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
I still have the stock sway bars in this video. The struts were set too loose in the
session he drove the car. I took the another four clicks to the hard side and was
more stable under braking. I have the Apexi N1 struts on the car now. He still did
a 2:12 in a somewhat unruly set-up and my 215 lbs. in the car. Pretty impressive
for only a total of four complete laps in a car he had never driven. The AIM Solo is easy to operate, even I can do it....
At speed these cars are so much fun I bet Mike enjoyed those 4 laps even if the car was misbehaving some.

Once you have the susp setup where you want it and build up some confidence in it you'll be busting 2.12s no problem

Pete,
How's the car coming along?
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 10:33 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Flying_solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurnee
Posts: 412
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TrackDaze came up year several years ago and is what got me hooked on HPDEs.


Dave, I see you are running the stock turbos, what are you doing for Radiator/Intake/intercooler? I haven't tracked my FD yet, but did an autox and it heat soaked like a mad **** in the afternoon.
Flying_solo is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 11:42 AM
  #10  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying_solo View Post
TrackDaze came up year several years ago and is what got me hooked on HPDEs.


Dave, I see you are running the stock turbos, what are you doing for Radiator/Intake/intercooler? I haven't tracked my FD yet, but did an autox and it heat soaked like a mad **** in the afternoon.
I run BNR's sequential. I'm liking the the tune Ray Wilson put on the car. I have a
large Koyo radiator basically in the stock location but ducted, dual Earl's oil coolers
also ducted, small FMIC...ducted. My oil and water temps NEVER go above 200. In
late fall I sometimes have to tape off one of my oil coolers just to get the engine up to temp.

Fritz,
I would really appreciate it if could drive my car and help me tweak things in once I
get the sway bar from Don Walker. A little seat time with the "Jedi Master" would be great too.
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 10:49 PM
  #11  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,317
Received 111 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
I run BNR's sequential. I'm liking the the tune Ray Wilson put on the car. I have a
large Koyo radiator basically in the stock location but ducted, dual Earl's oil coolers
also ducted, small FMIC...ducted. My oil and water temps NEVER go above 200. In
late fall I sometimes have to tape off one of my oil coolers just to get the engine up to temp.

Fritz,
I would really appreciate it if could drive my car and help me tweak things in once I
get the sway bar from Don Walker. A little seat time with the "Jedi Master" would be great too.
Dave,
I'd love to get behind the wheel and dial that baby in

I'm driving with BMW this coming weekend and may stay for the Chin event if the car I drive can handle it and they could use another instructor.

When's your next event?
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 06-25-12, 12:01 AM
  #12  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome video Dave! For those of you that didn't see, Mike was back in the CRP Corvette and dominating the Pirelli World Challenge Series. Mike swept Mosport this weekend. Pole and new track record by almost a second(he set the old one last year) followed by 1st place.
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 06-25-12, 07:37 AM
  #13  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent Dalton View Post
Awesome video Dave! For those of you that didn't see, Mike was back in the CRP Corvette and dominating the Pirelli World Challenge Series. Mike swept Mosport this weekend. Pole and new track record by almost a second(he set the old one last year) followed by 1st place.
Brent,
I missed the race but just finished reading about it. Very impressive. Very nice
guy as well.

Fritz,
I still have to get my exhaust leak and tranny fixed. If one of you guys could
direct me to the best thread to pulling 5th gear and synchro, I would really
appreciate it. I've found a couple of threads but not sure those were the best ones.
I'll get the car together ASAP and line something up where we could dial things in.
I really appreciate it.

Dave
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-25-12, 09:43 AM
  #14  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,317
Received 111 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
Brent,
I missed the race but just finished reading about it. Very impressive. Very nice
guy as well.

Fritz,
I still have to get my exhaust leak and tranny fixed. If one of you guys could
direct me to the best thread to pulling 5th gear and synchro, I would really
appreciate it. I've found a couple of threads but not sure those were the best ones.
I'll get the car together ASAP and line something up where we could dial things in.
I really appreciate it.

Dave
Check with Dave (dgeesaman) he's done lots of trans work and probably has a thread or two on the subject.

Mike has super man skills as a driver but from what I hear he's also a 100 percent class act out side of the car as well
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 06-25-12, 09:59 AM
  #15  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn View Post
Check with Dave (dgeesaman) he's done lots of trans work and probably has a thread or two on the subject.

Mike has super man skills as a driver but from what I hear he's also a 100 percent class act out side of the car as well
I'll check his threads. Thanks!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-25-12, 10:34 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Flying_solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurnee
Posts: 412
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave do you mind if I PM you about your cooling/IC setup?
Flying_solo is offline  
Old 06-25-12, 12:32 PM
  #17  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying_solo View Post
Dave do you mind if I PM you about your cooling/IC setup?
No worries. PM away!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-25-12, 03:47 PM
  #18  
LSX FD
10 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Sabre002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NMB SC
Posts: 413
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What spring rates do you have on your car, also what size tire?
Sabre002 is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 07:45 AM
  #19  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre002 View Post
What spring rates do you have on your car, also what size tire?
I have the Apexi N1 struts. I run 285/30 x 18" BFG R1's. I like the Kuhmo V710's
better; but they got expensive. The BFG's take a couple of laps to get warmed up,
but they last better than anything I've run so far including the Hoosier R6's. Also;
I run the 285's on all four corners so I can rotate the tires to extend the life. VIR
is especially hard on the left rear (thinking Hog Pen), so rotating is huge for me.

Dave
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 10:58 AM
  #20  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn View Post
Pete,
How's the car coming along?
I'm waiting for "the call" from Ray any minute.

P
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 11:16 AM
  #21  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
I'm waiting for "the call" from Ray any minute.

P
Awesome dude!
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 01:35 PM
  #22  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent Dalton View Post
Awesome dude!

Call received.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 02:48 PM
  #23  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
The page comes up, but no video.
jkstill is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 03:57 PM
  #24  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video works for me.
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 07:13 PM
  #25  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent Dalton View Post
Video works for me.
Yeah, it's a firefox issue.

FF used to be the latest and greatest, but has become a big bloated memory eating pig.

Switched to Chrome and it was fine.
jkstill is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mike Skeen VIR Full course in my 93' RX7


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: