Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Gear oil study

Old 11-13-07, 08:32 PM
  #1  
SCCAEP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
SCCAITS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear oil study

http://www.technilube.com/brochures/g2457_..._paper_0907.pdf

Interesting how they faired and I'd bet only the tests Amsoil excelled in were used. However, the report does give a good idea of how other oils compare against one another. I've been using Mobil 1, looks like that was a good choice.

SCCAITS is offline  
Old 11-13-07, 10:59 PM
  #2  
Racing is life!
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
cpa7man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 2,174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting that up. Amsoil makes great products. I have used them for many years. I run Mobil in my street cars and Amsoil in my race cars.
cpa7man is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 04:56 PM
  #3  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running Royal Purple. With a price and availability the same as redline, it looks like it just got its butt kicked.
Larz is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 05:43 PM
  #4  
SCCAEP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
SCCAITS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've ran Redline 75w-90 and more recently Mobil 1 75w-90. I am seriously considering changing though to Valvoline SynPower 75w-90 as I found a hook up to get sealed 5 gallon containers of it for $50 from a race team that shut down. Do the math on that... $2.50 per quart , seeing that I change all fluids after each weekend on the track this savings would be nice!
SCCAITS is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 08:14 PM
  #5  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
iTrader: (7)
 
sub9lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 2,739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i m never a fan of redline / royal purple
shoot the more i read abt amsoil the more i like it
sub9lulu is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 08:27 PM
  #6  
Racing is life!
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
cpa7man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 2,174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCCAITS View Post
seeing that I change all fluids after each weekend on the track this savings would be nice!
See with AMSOIL you don't need to. In my ITA car i'd run an entire season on one oil change. In the EP car two national weekends. If the car gets hot as it did during my last race, then I'll change it. Trannie and diff once or twice a season.
cpa7man is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 08:57 PM
  #7  
Lives on the Forum
10 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: n
Posts: 26,664
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a bullshit chart, unless I see what exactly is their criteria for testing each category...

This first row "Oxidation Test - Percent Viscosity Increase" sounds like an absolute value in %.
The numbers clearly show it's a relative ranking versus each test sample - unless in the unreal coincidence that they all happen to hit 1% to 14% in succession!

The second row "Oxidation Test - Solids Precipitation (ml)" clear is an absolute number, why aren't the two last entries in RED?
Clearly the rest of the samples were "tops" at 1ml?
Or does solids precipitation not that important?
If so, why was it even listed as a criteria???

Numbers can be "fudged" to make one sample standout from the rest, and this is what I think Amsoil has done to promote their crap...
I'm sure there are a lot more criteria that hasn't been listed...why?


-Ted

Last edited by RETed; 11-14-07 at 09:05 PM.
RETed is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 09:42 PM
  #8  
SCCAEP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
SCCAITS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpa7man View Post
See with AMSOIL you don't need to. In my ITA car i'd run an entire season on one oil change. In the EP car two national weekends. If the car gets hot as it did during my last race, then I'll change it. Trannie and diff once or twice a season.
Changing fluids more often than less often can only be a good thing, except for the wallet, but this is about the car and not the wallet. After each weekend I change diff, tranny, motor (which has a 3qt Accusump), and bleed the brakes and clutch. The clutch probably doesn't need it but the rest can only benefit. Fresh fluids are always good and the most important reason is I can spot a problem early on. Case in point, a carrier bearing in my diff started going out. The shavings in my diff fluid gave it away, had I not been changing each weekend I could have ruined a good diff and weekend at the track. Why'd the bearing go out? Who knows, I had purchased it used so didn't know it's full history. Is it excessive? Yeah , probably but it gives peace of mind. Put in fresh brake fluid, run a weekend and then bleed the fronts - dirty in just one weekend.
SCCAITS is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 09:48 PM
  #9  
SCCAEP
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
SCCAITS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RETed View Post
It's a bullshit chart, unless I see what exactly is their criteria for testing each category...

This first row "Oxidation Test - Percent Viscosity Increase" sounds like an absolute value in %.
The numbers clearly show it's a relative ranking versus each test sample - unless in the unreal coincidence that they all happen to hit 1% to 14% in succession!

The second row "Oxidation Test - Solids Precipitation (ml)" clear is an absolute number, why aren't the two last entries in RED?
"
Clearly the rest of the samples were "tops" at 1ml?
Or does solids precipitation not that important?
If so, why was it even listed as a criteria???

Numbers can be "fudged" to make one sample standout from the rest, and this is what I think Amsoil has done to promote their crap...
I'm sure there are a lot more criteria that hasn't been listed...why?


-Ted
I'm not saying anyone of those is the best or what the best is, simply found it interesting to compare different brands rather than "well, I always like..." The link above gives the complete 28 page report. As with all reports commissioned by a manufacturer only those with favorable results are ever released.

..."Note that the results of each test have not been weighted to suggest the degree of significance it represents. The degree of significance is left to the consumer to decide. The results in all categories were added to produce an overall total for each gear lube. The gear lube with the lowest total demonstrated the best overall performance. Red scores did not meet either API GL-5 performance requirements or SAE J306 viscosity requirements."
SCCAITS is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 11:11 PM
  #10  
Racing is life!
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
cpa7man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 2,174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCCAITS View Post
Case in point, a carrier bearing in my diff started going out. The shavings in my diff fluid gave it away, had I not been changing each weekend I could have ruined a good diff and weekend at the track.
Once certainly can't argue with that. The diff will usually give you some warning. I guess I've been lucky. Keep in mind I'm only running 4-6 weekends a year, with maybe a test day or two. I do bleed the brakes before each weekend.
cpa7man is offline  
Old 11-14-07, 11:24 PM
  #11  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RETed View Post
It's a bullshit chart
Yea, it's humorous that Amsoil's direct competition happen to be the ones with the absolute highest (worst) scores on the chart.
Mahjik is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FD7KiD
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
14
06-19-19 02:57 PM
Cameron38
1st Generation Specific (1979-1985)
3
08-19-15 06:08 PM
FD7KiD
Single Turbo RX-7's
1
08-17-15 11:50 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear oil study


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: