Go Back  RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum > Tech and Performance > Race Car Tech
Reload this Page >

Fun weekend, installed Kirk Roll bar, Impact harnesses, and 1st run on Victoracers

Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Fun weekend, installed Kirk Roll bar, Impact harnesses, and 1st run on Victoracers

Old 04-19-05, 01:55 PM
  #1  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun weekend, installed Kirk Roll bar, Impact harnesses, and 1st run on Victoracers

Had a great weekend guys. Finally got my Kirk 4pt roll bar installed, (even matched the paint to my interior) my new Impact latch link 5 pt harnesses installed, and I got my first taste of real tires. My good friend just got his new set of Victoracers so I got to run on his old used set. I couldn't believe the difference! He's a very experienced driver and his FD is modified quite a bit (E-Mod Class) so I'm normally about 7 seconds behind him. Sunday I closed the gap to 4 seconds, 55.028 to his FTD time of 51.296.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the bar/harnesses, and our cars. Plus a pretty new Elise showed up



test fitting





FD seats make great lounge chairs. And yes, my shorts are short, my legs white, and my shoes strange looking :P



Putting in the final touches
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 02:01 PM
  #2  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our cars in the pit area




The Elise.


Section8 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 02:02 PM
  #3  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some guy showed up with a Viper. No one cared! haha They were all only interested in the Lotus


Shot of my car before we left

My 2 favorite shots, taken by a member of the region that wasn't driving


Last edited by Section8; 04-19-05 at 02:05 PM.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 04:03 PM
  #4  
Lives on the Forum
15 Year Member
 
DamonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 9,617
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The always embarrassing "Oops I flicked the wheel too fast and bumped the wipers on" maneuver.
DamonB is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 04:42 PM
  #5  
EFR IWG 8374
10 Year Member
 
JTurtonRX_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: C. Springs
Posts: 638
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha ive done that, but things were opposite, it was raining and I turned the wipers and the lights off.

Nice pictures, i really like them. Do you have 3 CCW's on and a different wheel on the right rear?
JTurtonRX_7 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 06:27 PM
  #6  
Rotary Freak
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,056
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks good. JTurton- I'd imagine that his front rims are dusty as hell from the pads and the rears give the illusion of being different since they are much cleaner.

That is a bolt in roll bar correct?
gnx7 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 08:10 PM
  #7  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DamonB
The always embarrassing "Oops I flicked the wheel too fast and bumped the wipers on" maneuver.
haha, yeah it figures that the one run I hit the wipers somebody takes a great picture!

The CCWs belong to my friend, and are (were) his dedicated track wheels so they're rarely cleaned. The fronts obviously show more dust because of that, and he runs full race pads on his car and does HPDE on them as well.

I only wish I could afford a set of my own.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 08:18 PM
  #8  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gnx7
That is a bolt in roll bar correct?
Missed this in my last post, yes it's the bolt in bar.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-19-05, 09:09 PM
  #9  
fd-withdrawal
15 Year Member
 
omochi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 673
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have a link to where i can pickup the kirk racing roll bar? :o
omochi is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 06:37 AM
  #10  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by omochi
do you have a link to where i can pickup the kirk racing roll bar? :o
http://www.kirkracing.com/

They don't do ordering on the website, you have to call them. It took them 3 weeks to make and ship the bar. They make 2 versions for the FD. 1 is mine that you see in the pictures. you have to remove the rear bins for it to go into the car, but it's more solid and allows more rearward seat travel (good if you're tall)

The 2nd allows you to keep the rear bins, but you lose a lot of seat movement.

Both bars are SCCA Solo I and Solo II approved.

My bar was $350, plus $75 shipping, but I had it shipped truck freight point to point, and a friend picked it up at the shipping location so it was a bit cheaper than residential shipping.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 09:14 AM
  #11  
development
10 Year Member
 
dubulup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 5,714
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your car is coming along...what a beast!
dubulup is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 09:34 AM
  #12  
trying to build a racecar
 
Travis R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 579
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Section8
This picture is hillarious. Poor, sad, lonely viper. :p
Travis R is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 09:49 AM
  #13  
Polishing Fiend
iTrader: (139)
 
CrispyRX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 3,296
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A word to the wise the bolt in Kirk bars are being rejected in some regions as NOT being SCCA solo legal. The reason? The rear legs need to have an 8" long sleeved/slip fit connection using 2 bolts and not the single bolt set up Kirk is using. It look slike form your pic you only have the one bolt like mine does.
"F. REMOVABLE ROLL BARS
Removable roll bars and braces must be very carefully designed
and constructed to be at least as strong as a permanent installation.
If one tube fits inside another tube to facilitate removal, the
removable portion must bottom on the permanent mounting, and
at least two bolts must be used to secure each such joint. The
telescope section must be at least eight inches in length."

Also only the *TWO* inch diameter bar satisfies the requirements. The 1.75" bar does not due to the bend in the rear legs. WIth the bend in the rear legs the minimum tube 1.75" requirement gets bumped up to 2"
Check the SCCA Solo I and II regs for details.
Forwarned is forarmed.
Crispy
- has a 2" Kirk roll bar
CrispyRX7 is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 11:07 AM
  #14  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrispyRX7
A word to the wise the bolt in Kirk bars are being rejected in some regions as NOT being SCCA solo legal. The reason? The rear legs need to have an 8" long sleeved/slip fit connection using 2 bolts and not the single bolt set up Kirk is using. It look slike form your pic you only have the one bolt like mine does.
"F. REMOVABLE ROLL BARS
Removable roll bars and braces must be very carefully designed
and constructed to be at least as strong as a permanent installation.
If one tube fits inside another tube to facilitate removal, the
removable portion must bottom on the permanent mounting, and
at least two bolts must be used to secure each such joint. The
telescope section must be at least eight inches in length."

Also only the *TWO* inch diameter bar satisfies the requirements. The 1.75" bar does not due to the bend in the rear legs. WIth the bend in the rear legs the minimum tube 1.75" requirement gets bumped up to 2"
Check the SCCA Solo I and II regs for details.
Forwarned is forarmed.
Crispy
- has a 2" Kirk roll bar
Thanks for bringing this up, I wasn't aware of this. I'll check my local region's regulations if/when I start doing Solo I, but in all honesty this bar is basically a mounting point for my harnesses right now, since the rear strut bar is obviously not a safe mounting location.

I guess it also couldn't hurt for me to put in 2 extra bolts in those sleeves if I wanted, just for some added safety. I'll have to measure that sleeve, I'm not sure how long it actually is.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 12:02 PM
  #15  
Polishing Fiend
iTrader: (139)
 
CrispyRX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 3,296
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've had my Kirk bar for over 6 years now and was only just informed of this "issue". The two bolts in the slip joint would be a good idea and easy the only issue being the length of the slip joint.
Anywho just thought I'd contribute.
PS Say hi to Bill for me
Regards,
Crispy
CrispyRX7 is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 06:49 PM
  #16  
fd-withdrawal
15 Year Member
 
omochi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 673
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Section8
http://www.kirkracing.com/

They don't do ordering on the website, you have to call them. It took them 3 weeks to make and ship the bar. They make 2 versions for the FD. 1 is mine that you see in the pictures. you have to remove the rear bins for it to go into the car, but it's more solid and allows more rearward seat travel (good if you're tall)

The 2nd allows you to keep the rear bins, but you lose a lot of seat movement.

Both bars are SCCA Solo I and Solo II approved.

My bar was $350, plus $75 shipping, but I had it shipped truck freight point to point, and a friend picked it up at the shipping location so it was a bit cheaper than residential shipping.
ah figures, i browsed their site and it only made mention of a bar for 2nd gens.. hehe.. i'll give them a call if i'm serious. do you have any pics of your interior w/o the rear bins?

thanks for the heads up

oh btw, never mentioned this, but i love hte way your car is coming along (looks pretty badass w/ red interior, and the matching roll bar)

Last edited by omochi; 04-20-05 at 06:52 PM.
omochi is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 07:24 PM
  #17  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrispyRX7
I'm in the same boat. I've had my Kirk bar for over 6 years now and was only just informed of this "issue". The two bolts in the slip joint would be a good idea and easy the only issue being the length of the slip joint.
Anywho just thought I'd contribute.
PS Say hi to Bill for me
Regards,
Crispy
Thanks again I'll pass your greetings on to Bill
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 07:26 PM
  #18  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by omochi
ah figures, i browsed their site and it only made mention of a bar for 2nd gens.. hehe.. i'll give them a call if i'm serious. do you have any pics of your interior w/o the rear bins?

thanks for the heads up

oh btw, never mentioned this, but i love hte way your car is coming along (looks pretty badass w/ red interior, and the matching roll bar)
Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't list the 3rd gens on the website, but they do list the 2nd gens.

Here's a couple of pictures of my car with the bins out:





And thanks for the comments I bought 2 cans of spray paint at Lowes trying to find a match for my interior, and settled on a can of American Accents By Rust-oleum in Colonial Red Satin. I couldn't believe how well it matched the interior!

Next on the list is a set of sticky tires and Koni Adjustable dampers
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-20-05, 09:22 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
phishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 597
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey section8. it's phishie from OT!!!
phishie is offline  
Old 04-21-05, 07:38 AM
  #20  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phishie
hey section8. it's phishie from OT!!!
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-26-05, 10:32 AM
  #21  
Obsessed
5 Year Member
 
zullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lenexa KS
Posts: 453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the kirk bar that retains the rear bins. No problem for me (6'0") but if you have a large passenger/intructor they can be cramped due to the hoop diagonal brace limiting passenger seat travel. No big deal though unless it's a long trip / enduro!

Interesting that they replace the rear speakers with those "map pockets" or whatever they are when, I assume, you have the Bose sound system. At least you still have some place to put your "stuff"!

Love the red/black interior. I may have to paint my bar... someday...
zullo is offline  
Old 04-30-05, 07:40 PM
  #22  
no
10 Year Member
 
suganuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas, TX / Tokyo, Japan currently
Posts: 2,295
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zullo
I have the kirk bar that retains the rear bins. No problem for me (6'0") but if you have a large passenger/intructor they can be cramped due to the hoop diagonal brace limiting passenger seat travel. No big deal though unless it's a long trip / enduro!
any pics of that setup?
suganuma is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
trickster
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
20
03-29-18 02:05 PM
BNR34RB26DETT
Build Threads
42
02-28-18 11:27 AM
gabescanlon
Interior / Exterior / Audio
1
08-11-15 05:59 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fun weekend, installed Kirk Roll bar, Impact harnesses, and 1st run on Victoracers


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: