Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Cheap Rain Tires?

Old 06-08-09, 09:12 AM
  #1  
Old Rotary Dog
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
wrankin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,461
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheap Rain Tires?

Hey Gang,

At my last DE event, a Sunday full of rain coupled with a set of Toyo RA1's w/ almost no tread (finally broken in now ) has convinced me that I need a set of backup rain tires.

I contemplated full tread Toyo's but decided that because I don't go through tires that quickly (current set is on its third season) I didn't want to invest in a second set and just having them sitting there getting only occasional use.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on a really cheap rain tire? Something I can get through tirerack.com?

This is for the FC w/ stock rims, so size = 205/50r15.

Thanks,

-b
wrankin is offline  
Old 06-08-09, 01:05 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose
Posts: 291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Kumho Ecsta SPT's are very good in the rain for a street tire, and pretty cheap. I've run them on my 3rd gen at autox and kept up with people running dedicated race wets.

-Andy M.


Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
Hey Gang,

At my last DE event, a Sunday full of rain coupled with a set of Toyo RA1's w/ almost no tread (finally broken in now ) has convinced me that I need a set of backup rain tires.

I contemplated full tread Toyo's but decided that because I don't go through tires that quickly (current set is on its third season) I didn't want to invest in a second set and just having them sitting there getting only occasional use.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on a really cheap rain tire? Something I can get through tirerack.com?

This is for the FC w/ stock rims, so size = 205/50r15.

Thanks,

-b
AMRX7 is offline  
Old 06-08-09, 03:41 PM
  #3  
Looks ahead!
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
jdmsuper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ephrata, PA
Posts: 1,079
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Specs?
jdmsuper7 is offline  
Old 06-09-09, 12:11 AM
  #4  
Racing is life!
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
cpa7man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 2,174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of Hoosier dirt stockers, they work well. I really don't need them anymore. Let me know if your interested. They are in great shape.

I'll check to see what size they are. Mounted on 15x7 rims now.
cpa7man is offline  
Old 06-09-09, 07:53 AM
  #5  
Old Rotary Dog
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
wrankin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,461
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmsuper7 View Post
Star Specs?
Can't seem to find them in 205/50r5.
wrankin is offline  
Old 12-27-09, 02:10 AM
  #6  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Checking the autox reviews on TireRack.com for both the Ecsta SPT and the Direzza Z1, both perform pretty well in the rain.

What are general recommendations for choosing tire sizes for the rain?

For the dry I use 285/30/18 V710's. These obviously don't work so well when it is raining, as is wont to happen from time to time here in the sunny Pacific NorthWest.

I've been considering putting on a set of 225/50/16 SPT's or Z1's to use as rain tires.

I wouldn't think that having a wide tire would necessarily be as desirable in the rain, and the taller sidewall would add some compliance to the suspension.

Plus I happen to have a couple sets of 16x8.5 inch wheels lying around.

If a larger tire would be better, I can do that as well, but I am actually trying to budget my money this year.

Thoughts?
jkstill is offline  
Old 12-27-09, 09:25 AM
  #7  
GET OFF MY LAWN
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
jgrewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fla.
Posts: 2,838
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those Hoosier dirt stockers that cpa7man has will run circles around any "street" tire in the wet.
jgrewe is offline  
Old 12-27-09, 10:31 AM
  #8  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrewe View Post
Those Hoosier dirt stockers that cpa7man has will run circles around any "street" tire in the wet.
Maybe so, but since they are Hoosiers, they won't fit in the 'cheap' category.

Street tires are probably the only rain tires that fall into the cheap category.

Also, if being used for autox where most classes require a DOT tire, street tires are likely the only cheap rain tire.

So, any recommendations for sizing?
jkstill is offline  
Old 12-27-09, 11:27 AM
  #9  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,572
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
the R888's work well in the rain.
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 12-27-09, 11:53 AM
  #10  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j9fd3s View Post
the R888's work well in the rain.
But not cheap - about the same price as Hoosier wets.
jkstill is offline  
Old 12-27-09, 08:31 PM
  #11  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are going to run 225/50/16, the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW did better in recent tests in the wet against the Dunlop tires (and it's a little cheaper).
Mahjik is offline  
Old 12-27-09, 09:56 PM
  #12  
Lives on the Forum

 
Kentetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 11,361
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want cheap, I've been doing pretty well with Sumitomo HTR 200s for a few years now. For 50 bucks each (for 13 inchers), they're hard to beat.

.
Kentetsu is offline  
Old 12-28-09, 12:13 AM
  #13  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
If you are going to run 225/50/16, the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW did better in recent tests in the wet against the Dunlop tires (and it's a little cheaper).
Which test was that?
jkstill is offline  
Old 12-28-09, 05:54 AM
  #14  
Like a G6
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Tofuman FC3S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Dutch Mountains
Posts: 713
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the R888's work well in the rain.
And snow! We tested last week, they did way better then expected, but yeah, pretty good in wet.

Riz.
Tofuman FC3S is offline  
Old 12-28-09, 10:33 AM
  #15  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've ran the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Starspecs in the rain at the track a few times and they have been suffcient. Mine were 275/35/18. I've also ran Falken Azensis RT-615's, about the same as the starspecs.


Originally Posted by jkstill View Post

What are general recommendations for choosing tire sizes for the rain?

For the dry I use 285/30/18 V710's. These obviously don't work so well when it is raining, as is wont to happen from time to time here in the sunny Pacific NorthWest.

I've been considering putting on a set of 225/50/16 SPT's or Z1's to use as rain tires.

I wouldn't think that having a wide tire would necessarily be as desirable in the rain, and the taller sidewall would add some compliance to the suspension.

Plus I happen to have a couple sets of 16x8.5 inch wheels lying around.

If a larger tire would be better, I can do that as well, but I am actually trying to budget my money this year.

Thoughts?
I'm assuming based on your size you are running an FD. As far as Road Course stuff, I could tell a positive difference when I ran my starspecs over my smaller RT-615's. Not exactly an accurate comparison as they are different tires. If you are AutoXing, I'd ask AMRX7 that posted above. That is Andy McKee who is a multi-time SM2(now SSM) National Champ. Or Chadwick... who won this year in the rain.
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 12-28-09, 10:41 AM
  #16  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jkstill View Post
Which test was that?
Blah, ignore that it was an old test against some older Dunlops. A more recent test shows the Z1 Star Specs being fantastic in the wet:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...r_spec_page_11

Good choice for the money.
Mahjik is offline  
Old 12-28-09, 12:20 PM
  #17  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by memphisraines82 View Post
I've ran the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Starspecs in the rain at the track a few times and they have been suffcient. Mine were 275/35/18. I've also ran Falken Azensis RT-615's, about the same as the starspecs.
There's an emphasis in this thread on 'cheap'.

18" would require me to buy another set of wheels, which I would like to avoid.

225 or 245 rain tires would undoubtedly be better than 285 V710 on a wet course.


I'm assuming based on your size you are running an FD. As far as Road Course stuff, I could tell a positive difference when I ran my starspecs over my smaller RT-615's. Not exactly an accurate comparison as they are different tires. If you are AutoXing, I'd ask AMRX7 that posted above. That is Andy McKee who is a multi-time SM2(now SSM) National Champ. Or Chadwick... who won this year in the rain.

Yes, FD. I think any autoxers in this section already know who Andy and Dan are.

Andy will likely chime in whenever he sees this thread again.

Unless I can find some used Hoosier wets, I will probably go with the Dunlop Direzza Z1 in 225/50/16
jkstill is offline  
Old 12-28-09, 01:45 PM
  #18  
1308ccs of awesome
iTrader: (9)
 
eage8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Woodbine, MD
Posts: 6,176
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you can't get star specs in 205/50/15s....

you can however get Kumho XSs ($89 each) which are a great street tire, and good in the rain. I'm not sure if they'd be as good as the star specs because they're not directional, but they're as good as them in the dry...

or you could just go with the star specs in a 195/55/15.. ($88 each)
eage8 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rx7jocke
Suspension/Wheels/Tires/Brakes
72
06-17-16 03:48 AM
Sudowoodo
Suspension/Wheels/Tires/Brakes
15
09-28-15 11:36 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Rain Tires?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: