Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

350Z Transmission

Old 12-16-15, 02:07 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
350Z Transmission

Does anyone know if that transmission will fit in our cars? I have a 2J car and was just wondering if anyone had tried to put one in an FD.
newbguy is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 02:42 PM
  #2  
F'n Newbie...
iTrader: (5)
 
fendamonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nokesville, Va
Posts: 3,254
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
I actually JUST saw something floating around on FB about an adaptor plate that would allow it to mount up, or something along those lines....
fendamonky is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 03:10 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fendamonky View Post
I actually JUST saw something floating around on FB about an adaptor plate that would allow it to mount up, or something along those lines....
I know there's bellhousing adapter. I'm just wondering if those trans fit in our cars. A lot of guys do it in the Supra. It would make for a great 6speed option for our cars if they did
newbguy is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 08:19 AM
  #4  
F'n Newbie...
iTrader: (5)
 
fendamonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nokesville, Va
Posts: 3,254
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
The rx-8 tranny will probably be an easier fix if you're just looking for a 6-speed.

I'm fairly certain it bolts right up to a 13B-REW and I know it fits in an FC as I've got a buddy that runs one in his REW TII.
fendamonky is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 11:51 PM
  #5  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,075
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fendamonky View Post
The rx-8 tranny will probably be an easier fix if you're just looking for a 6-speed.

I'm fairly certain it bolts right up to a 13B-REW and I know it fits in an FC as I've got a buddy that runs one in his REW TII.
I remember reading somewhere that the rx8 tranny was weak. IDK though, just heard.

only if you were able to measure dimensions of the transmissions to get a better idea.

With all the cost of custom bellhousing, and clutches, isn't there a more a performance/race gearbox to run instead of getting a transmission made for a factory car? I would really like to know. Don't they sell some beefed up transmissions for American v8's? People put v8's in rx7s all the time
GrossPolluter is offline  
Old 12-18-15, 07:54 AM
  #6  
F'n Newbie...
iTrader: (5)
 
fendamonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nokesville, Va
Posts: 3,254
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by GrossPolluter View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the rx8 tranny was weak. IDK though, just heard.

only if you were able to measure dimensions of the transmissions to get a better idea.

With all the cost of custom bellhousing, and clutches, isn't there a more a performance/race gearbox to run instead of getting a transmission made for a factory car? I would really like to know. Don't they sell some beefed up transmissions for American v8's? People put v8's in rx7s all the time
Oh, you can definitely break them!! But they're also cheap(er) iirc. If that's what I wanted to do (go 6-speed) I'd get one and have it rebuilt/cryo treated and just go from there.

Depending on how you use the car I think they have a fair chance of surviving (drag racing probably won't like the 8 transmissions ). The dude I know who uses them is putting down 400whp+ and tracks his car pretty regularly.


The v8 transmission you're thinking of is a T56. Solid, beefy transmission, but converting it to work is expensive (if done right) and apparently it shifts like a truck! Or... You could just speak directly with Liberty, they do tranny work and can build you a BADASS box using the existing tranny. There are a couple guys on here who have run them iirc.

I thought about going T56 in the past, but now I think I'd rather put that money towards just having a stock FD tranny rebuilt and cryo treated.

Last edited by fendamonky; 12-18-15 at 07:59 AM.
fendamonky is offline  
Old 12-18-15, 08:53 AM
  #7  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,075
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fendamonky View Post
Oh, you can definitely break them!! But they're also cheap(er) iirc. If that's what I wanted to do (go 6-speed) I'd get one and have it rebuilt/cryo treated and just go from there.

Depending on how you use the car I think they have a fair chance of surviving (drag racing probably won't like the 8 transmissions ). The dude I know who uses them is putting down 400whp+ and tracks his car pretty regularly.


The v8 transmission you're thinking of is a T56. Solid, beefy transmission, but converting it to work is expensive (if done right) and apparently it shifts like a truck! Or... You could just speak directly with Liberty, they do tranny work and can build you a BADASS box using the existing tranny. There are a couple guys on here who have run them iirc.

I thought about going T56 in the past, but now I think I'd rather put that money towards just having a stock FD tranny rebuilt and cryo treated.
yeah, I was watching trucks or hp tv and they had t56 tranny built by an aftermarket company claiming to handle 800hp. I didn't want to say t56, because I believe there are more options for those v8 engines, like 5 speed transmissions as well.

On a side note, this got me thinking if any of the 5 speed gearboxes and t56 gearboxes can interchange bell housings.

Not really related to your post, but I work on a lot of bmw's, and it really sucks because the Getrag transmission that comes in the e46 m3 has no rebuild kits! Guys just take a few gearboxes and take the best of the parts to make one decent transmission. Its like a rotary engine! lol
GrossPolluter is offline  
Old 12-18-15, 12:20 PM
  #8  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,398
Likes: 0
Liked 108 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by GrossPolluter View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the rx8 tranny was weak. IDK though, just heard.
the 04-08 trans, is made by Aisin warner, so its actually related to the 350z box, and the S2000box. in the Rx8 implementation, the trans is mechanically strong, the part that fails is the synchro/hub/fork

the 09-012 trans is a Mazda trans, and the shifty bits last longer, although it feels like it came from a truck, and it did so there you go
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 12-18-15, 12:21 PM
  #9  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,398
Likes: 0
Liked 108 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by GrossPolluter View Post

Not really related to your post, but I work on a lot of bmw's, and it really sucks because the Getrag transmission that comes in the e46 m3 has no rebuild kits! Guys just take a few gearboxes and take the best of the parts to make one decent transmission. Its like a rotary engine! lol
lol, you can get rotary engine parts, we just choose not to.
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 12-20-15, 11:57 AM
  #10  
Coming to a track near u!
iTrader: (5)
 
RacerJason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,855
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
RacerJason is offline  
Old 12-20-15, 08:12 PM
  #11  
Hey...Cut it out!
iTrader: (4)
 
Akagis_white_comet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Streetsboro, OH
Posts: 1,519
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
In all honesty, the Z33/Z34 transmissions are geared for a 'peaky' engine with a narrow powerband which limits their benefits considerably. Based on that, I would just go with a RX8 transmission instead. Cheaper, bolts right up to any rotary engine, uses an off-the-shelf T2 clutch setup and there are only 3 parts which would require customization to make work:

Shifter: A setup similar to the Pontiac GTO T56 will correct this, but extended further back to poke through in the original location
Driveshaft: IIRC, you'd need one 4" longer than stock
Speedometer: Not sure what to do about this yet, but I'd imagine it is similar to the FD's setup in terms of signal output.

For an engine making considerable power and with a broad powerband, the close gearing of the Z33/Z34/SE3P transmissions would keep the engine revving high, obliterating any dreams of fuel economy on the highway. As Jeremy Clarkson said about driving a lorry, all you'll be doing is...
Change gear, change gear, change gear, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear...

Since a bone stock 20B-REW's powerband is 1800rpm-6500rpm, the wider gearing of a T-56 is far more suitable. Surprisingly, the ratios are quite similar to the Q4A-EL Transmission found in the 20B Cosmo

Q4A-EL
1st: 2.784:1___2nd: 1.544:1___3rd: 1.00:1___4th: 0.694:1___Rev: 2.275:1

T-56 [1386-000-016 version]
1st: 2.66:1___2nd: 1.78:1___3rd: 1.30:1___4th: 1.00:1___5th: 0.74:1___6th: 0.50:1___Rev: 2.90:1

1st gear in both is really close, as is the Cosmo's 4th and T56's 5th gear, while the T-56 has a super low 6th gear to keep the engine running as low in the powerband as possible. Perfect for highway cruising or a visit to the Bonneville Salt Flats
Akagis_white_comet is offline  
Old 12-26-15, 10:28 PM
  #12  
OMG a Chupacabra!
iTrader: (25)
 
Broke_A_Baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,335
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm the first person that'll have this kit. Brett is supposed to have sent it a couple of weeks ago, but apparently he wants to fix things.

I'll be doing a review on it when it comes in and an open box type video.

I'm almost to the point of just running something else because of my 2-5 month waiting time lol.

-Nick
Broke_A_Baller is offline  
Old 12-26-15, 10:47 PM
  #13  
RE for life
 
diyman25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sca
Posts: 1,173
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
nice_~ i rember see one from jdm magazine. but this one is much cheaper !! i might consider it
diyman25 is offline  
Old 12-28-15, 08:00 PM
  #14  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,398
Likes: 0
Liked 108 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Akagis_white_comet View Post
Shifter: A setup similar to the Pontiac GTO T56 will correct this, but extended further back to poke through in the original location
there is a guy on one of the other forums who has a 6 speed in an FC, and so therefore there must be some combination of 6 speed parts that move the shifter to the right place. don't forget this "family" also appears in the miata, and the S2000, so while there are big internal differences, there are some similarities too.

Speedometer: Not sure what to do about this yet, but I'd imagine it is similar to the FD's setup in terms of signal output.
the Rx8 uses the ABS wheel sensors for the speedo, so the trans has no speedo sensor, nor does it even have a place to put one. there are many ways to get the speedo to work though, hardest part is picking one
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 12-29-15, 08:09 AM
  #15  
F'n Newbie...
iTrader: (5)
 
fendamonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nokesville, Va
Posts: 3,254
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by j9fd3s View Post
there is a guy on one of the other forums who has a 6 speed in an FC, and so therefore there must be some combination of 6 speed parts that move the shifter to the right place.
Are you talking about Brian?
fendamonky is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Rys 7
New Member RX-7 Technical
2
12-13-15 10:56 AM
Sam4123
New Member RX-7 Technical
1
12-12-15 10:45 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350Z Transmission


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: