Other Engine Conversions - non V-8 Discussion of non-rotary engines, exc V-8's, in a car originally powered by a Rotary Engine.

Checking the feasibility of a weird swap.

Old 10-02-10, 12:45 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: burnaby
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking the feasibility of a weird swap.

Hey guys,

I've got a FB with a dead rotary and I want to toss a different engine into it. I know you can do this with LS1's, and 350's but everyone does that. I want to do something different.

How difficult would it be to take the VW 1.8T engine from the mkIV golf and drop that in? I know in most applications they are transverse and the transmissions just wouldn't fit, but what if I got a longitudinal engine and transmission out of a old audi a3 quattro? Those engines are longitudinal and they have transmissions that would be the correct orientation.

Failing that, how about dropping in a BMW M10?
MustardFacial is offline  
Old 10-02-10, 03:14 PM
  #2  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: the dalles
Posts: 1,161
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doesnt quattro=awd? but anyways dont mind that i say do it!! be different. especially if you have the money/time/skills to make it [email protected]!
thejallenator is offline  
Old 10-03-10, 03:59 AM
  #3  
Full Member
 
quattro4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 92
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The A3 is actually a Haldex chassis so the engine is transversely mounted. I'm not sure what if anything about that engine from that car would cause problems running longitudinally, but transverse specific parts like the oil pan won't work well. Your better off using an A4 for a donor.

Also, You might consider using a different transmission as the quattro transmission is long and bulky in a RWD format due to the front diff being mounted between the gearbox and bellhousing. The only way to remove it is a custom bellhousing and a shortened input shaft.
quattro4now is offline  
Old 10-03-10, 12:41 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: burnaby
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quattro4now View Post
The A3 is actually a Haldex chassis so the engine is transversely mounted. I'm not sure what if anything about that engine from that car would cause problems running longitudinally, but transverse specific parts like the oil pan won't work well. Your better off using an A4 for a donor.

Also, You might consider using a different transmission as the quattro transmission is long and bulky in a RWD format due to the front diff being mounted between the gearbox and bellhousing. The only way to remove it is a custom bellhousing and a shortened input shaft.
I was always worried about how the AWD configurations would change everything, but I've never seen the undercarriage of an A3 or A4 so I have no idea what the Haldex setup looks like. What transmission do you reccomend?

I'm thinking at this point it might be easier to try to find a BMW M52 and transmission and toss those in instead. At least then I won't have to deal with as many ECU troubles as I would with the 1.8T.
MustardFacial is offline  
Old 10-03-10, 03:53 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Toyotarx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New jersey
Posts: 681
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have u ever considered a 1jz/2jz swap or a skyline swap? PM me i can help u out
Toyotarx7 is offline  
Old 10-03-10, 04:58 PM
  #6  
Cake or Death?
iTrader: (2)
 
clokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mile High
Posts: 10,169
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MustardFacial View Post
I want to do something different...

How difficult would it be...
Once you stray from the beaten path- the V-8 and increasingly, the 1/2 JZ- you're in craftsman territory.
The V-8 swap is so well documented and parts so readily available, the swap is little different than pulling/replacing the stock rotary engine.

Any "different" engine/tranny swap and you'll have to figure it out from step 1 and you'd better be prepared for the whole range of fabrication skills to be called upon.

At that point, "difficult" is an almost meaningless descriptor...your skill level/tooling are the primary concerns.
clokker is offline  
Old 10-03-10, 05:06 PM
  #7  
kiwi from downunder..
iTrader: (4)
 
blwfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: springfield,oregon
Posts: 3,418
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clokker View Post
Once you stray from the beaten path- the V-8 and increasingly, the 1/2 JZ- you're in craftsman territory.
The V-8 swap is so well documented and parts so readily available, the swap is little different than pulling/replacing the stock rotary engine.

Any "different" engine/tranny swap and you'll have to figure it out from step 1 and you'd better be prepared for the whole range of fabrication skills to be called upon.

At that point, "difficult" is an almost meaningless descriptor...your skill level/tooling are the primary concerns.
if that was the case he wouldnt be posting lol.
blwfly is offline  
Old 10-04-10, 08:39 AM
  #8  
Trunk Ornament
5 Year Member
iTrader: (11)
 
AGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,047
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was a guy a while back that put a 1.9 TDI from a Jetta in his Rx7. It didn't go very fast because Rx7's gearing is low compared to that of a diesel, plus they redline around 4k or lower

Anyways, the point is that it can be done, you just have to talk to some guys that do custom swaps and figure out what it'd take to convert the bellhousing and input shaft so it'll mate to the 1.8t. Sounds like fun though, and that engine can make some decent numbers.
AGreen is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ZaqAtaq
New Member RX-7 Technical
2
09-05-15 08:57 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checking the feasibility of a weird swap.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: