2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

What's Wrong With My Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Wrong With My Tranny

the other day i was driving my car....nothing was wrong, i parked it, turned it off, and went inside.....and when i came back out to try to drive off......it reved up a a few seconds, then started to drop, and stalled, it did the same thing in second gear........i dont understand why, it was working fine 10 minutes before that......the weird part about it, is that it slips in first and second, it wont even go in 3rd, 4th, 5th or reverse, and it goes in reverse when i have it in neutral....this makes no sense.....i thought it had something to do with the passenger shifting it when the car was off, i hate it when people play with the shifter, puting it in and out of gear......but i dont see how that would blow the tranny.....im so screwed now................if anyone has had this problem or knows what could be causing it, or has an opinion, then it would be cool for you to tell me what you think..........im hoping that its something minor....and not the whole tranny that needs replacing...
my car is a 1991 mazda rx7
Old 06-28-02, 03:51 AM
Glock Lover

Hm. Once, in my Explorer, the transmission messed up. (Its a Mazda Transmission). When it was in nuetral, it acted like it was in gear. I think it was a bent shift fork, or bad syncros. Both are expensive to fix, I got a new tranny instead.
Old 06-28-02, 07:58 AM

I have an 86 trany thats still good if you want
email me at keep_on_smilen@hotmail.com if your interested (not to sure if its the same as a 91 though)

Scot
Old 06-28-02, 11:32 AM

Had the same problem in my 87 TII one time, took it to a tranny shop, what they wanted to fix it was more than a used tranny from another car. Get it checked at a good tranny shop, and get an estimate, then look for another tranny, you might be surprised what the $$$$ difference may be.
Old 06-28-02, 11:47 AM
Slow and old

After getting the transmission in my MX-6 rebuilt, I don't think I'll ever have one rebuilt again, unless I can get a really good deal. The rebuild cost me $1700 (bend over, insert Aamco bill) and while my car was there, it got broken into and trashed.
Old 06-28-02, 08:44 PM

I know a guy who has a few rx7 parts cars......does anyone know if a 87, or 88 trany would work in my 1991 rex, and he was saying something about losing power from the older tranny, cause its geared diffirently.....but im still really confused on what the problem is.....should i really replace the tranny, or is it something small, like something broke in the tranny...........what causes this to happen....its so weird.
Old 06-28-02, 11:22 PM
G35 FTW

hey dude, go to the canadian forum, theres a few guys from thunder bay there. maybe they can help you out with the parts.

Action
Old 06-29-02, 04:03 PM

really, whats the internet address.
Old 06-29-02, 06:05 PM
10 lb. boost, 5lb. bag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me too, sort of. I was in the driveway, backed up, then put it in first (i wanted to back off away from the garage a bit because I had to go into the bay to the side of the driveway, not the one that's straight on) and when I let off the clutch the car stalled. Weird. So I put it in neutral, started up again, and when I let off the clutch the car would go backwards. Really weird. Had it flatbeded to T&R and when they pulled the tranny they said it was totally trashed. They gave me a used one from a J-spec, but it's giving me problems too, the shifter isn't quite right and the 2nd gear syncro seems to have been consumed by the previous owner. Gotta get that sorted out...
Old 06-29-02, 06:35 PM
Seduced by the DARK SIDE

The transmission is definately in reverse, so selecting any other gear just gives a lockup.
Plan "A" If you haven't already tried this, see if you can force the shift lever back into reverse and pull shift fork out or the reverse selection.
Plan "B" Remove the kob, boot & shift lever, vac out the excess oil so you can see the shift rods. Take a big screwdriver and pull the left rod back to neutral.
Old 06-29-02, 09:27 PM

the shifter doesn't want to go anywhere near reverse....and i dont really understand what that would do.....and your second idea, i might sound like an idiot, but im not quite sure what the left rod is.
Old 06-30-02, 01:26 AM

I'm the guy with extra tranny's

Can a tranny out of my parts cars work in his 91

MY cars are 87 and 88. Low mileage tranny's too

Anyone know what the kit is on his car is?
Old 06-30-02, 09:33 PM

Does anyone know if an 87 or 88 tranny would work in my 91 rex, and if it would, would i lose power.
Old 06-30-02, 11:40 PM
Refined Valley Dude

really, whats the internet address.
Dude, scroll down to the bottom of any Forum page. It's in the Forum Jump pull-down menu...

Old 07-01-02, 12:34 AM

how did you know i am new to this site, youre smart....
that still doesn't help me....i need to know if my buddys tranny would work in my rx7
Old 07-01-02, 01:48 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

any year FC tranny will work in another FC
as long as you put a N/A tranny in an N/A
and turbo tranny into a turbo II

the entire drivetrains are differenet (beefier and different sizes/lengths for tranny, driveshaft, differential and halfshafts between the turbo drivetrains and non-turbo drivetrains)

I believe the differentials and halfshafts on N/A autos and N/A manuals interchange too. But the driveshafts won't as the manual transmission is longer.
Old 07-01-02, 01:59 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you take the shifter out as the other stated and realine the shift forks that the shift lever moves then all may be good for no money ,Garfinkle has seen and done this on several cars , it can not be hard.