1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

1st gen Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 02:50 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen Brake Upgrade

So what happend to that brake upgrade to 2nd gen 4piston that ppl were talking about and somebody was working on making one?? I would really love to know that's going on with it.
Old 04-03-02, 02:51 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

ME TOO
Old 04-03-02, 09:30 AM
Are you Nucking Futs?

I got a pm from Guru a little while back, and he said that it was still in the works and he would keep me informed.
Old 04-03-02, 10:14 AM
Admitted Sevenaholic

I gave up, and have gone a different route. Plus the fact of having to buy new 5 lug front rims is out of the question since I just bought new rims
Old 04-03-02, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the Facts section at Mazspeed.com:

Old 04-03-02, 11:11 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

What is this guy's email address so I can contact me. He makes it look really easy in there which is not. The most important thing for me is to have the fron hub setup from a TurboII with the bolt pattern of GSL-SE, so I can put upgrade 12" and 13" rotors in the front. If someone know how I would contact this guy to ask some questions, it would be appreaciated

Originally posted by '95 Mark VIII
From the Facts section at Mazspeed.com:

Old 04-03-02, 11:36 AM
Admitted Sevenaholic

Thats about all the info you get, he wrote the article to answer the questions people had about his upgrade.
It's a bad design, due to the fact when you need to replace your brake rotors, you will need to make another custom set of rotors, instead of ready made bolt on ones.
Old 04-03-02, 11:52 AM
smog nazi destroyer

so is anyone going to make a bolt on kit then?
Old 04-03-02, 12:01 PM
Admitted Sevenaholic

I have thought about it, but it could come back and bite me in the ***, would have to sell them as "Off Road use only" "No Warrenty" "Legal paper stating as such so someone can't come back and sue me"
The the biggest stumble when making anything and selling it for first gen's
I'll see how easy it is to duplicate my setup when I find a spare set of GSL-SE struts and the costs associated.
Then there is the "What works on a GSL-SE may not work on a GSL due to brake balance front to rear"
So if I ever did sell them, they would be sold only for the GSL-SE since designing another complete kit for the GSL would be to timing consuming.
Oh to be unemployed and have tons of spare time.....
Old 04-03-02, 12:27 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Ok I have a GSL-SE and I would pay you right now, if you make me the brake upgrade, specially for the front, I don't care as much in rear since my road using it should be biased anyways. I even right you something that I won't hold you liable if something went wrong.
I would appreciate it if you consider this.
PM me or email me omid@bcrx7.com

thanks,
Omid

Originally posted by Max7
I have thought about it, but it could come back and bite me in the ***, would have to sell them as "Off Road use only" "No Warrenty" "Legal paper stating as such so someone can't come back and sue me"
The the biggest stumble when making anything and selling it for first gen's
I'll see how easy it is to duplicate my setup when I find a spare set of GSL-SE struts and the costs associated.
Then there is the "What works on a GSL-SE may not work on a GSL due to brake balance front to rear"
So if I ever did sell them, they would be sold only for the GSL-SE since designing another complete kit for the GSL would be to timing consuming.
Oh to be unemployed and have tons of spare time.....
Old 04-03-02, 12:30 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Received 417 Likes on 297 Posts
Hey Max7, I'm unemployed and have tons of spare time (interviewing for a dealership job though - wish me luck!)

Tom Turner's idea (as outlined on your site) looks rather easy and promising. After I replace my strut housings, I'll use one of the old ones to make a jig. GSL-SE housings are the same as '84-up 12A housings. I could do all of the machining operations to the GSL-SE rotors with a simple brake lathe and patience. I also have a few industrial lathes/drill presses/other goodies in my basement still in the manufacturer crates, just waiting for the basement to get cleared out so we can set up a small machine shop.

Also, even after I get a job, I'm roughly $10k in debt and at least one creditor is trying to garnish my wages (yeah, good luck - I have no wages right now ) so I'm going to need a second form of income if I'm going to make ends meet as well as support my RX-7 habit. My stepfather has his own small business, and I think I can ask him to help out with starting up.
Old 04-03-02, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Peejay

Make a big brake set-up for each of the year breaks and they will buy. A simple bolt-on big disc and caliper adaptor bracket set-up for an '80 rex like what is available for my '68 Firebird (for $695 US, fronts only, $795 US for the rears...) is exactly what I'm looking for and now you even have a target price for your kit...get to work you unemployed bum! I did it for a year before I finally got in with SBC, so don't get depressed, things will work out. Good luck on the dealership job, just make sure it's part-time so we get our kits!!
Old 04-03-02, 01:15 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

I'd only want to sell the brackets and rotor hats necessary for the swap... the swap would use commonly available rotors ($29-up) rotors and ($100-up) calipers sourced from circle track suppliers. The neat thing about them is that everything is modular... so if you want, you can have a .810" thick rotor, or a 1.25" thick rotor, or a .375" thick solid titanium octagonal rotor, get rotors that have been cryo-treated, cross drilled, slotted, grooved, if they make it, they make it for circle track racers and it will fit behind a standard 15" steel racing wheel.

The only problem is the track calipers do not have dust boots and require rebuilding every year. Fortunately one can also use Delco-Moraine calipers (off of a GM) for greater durability at the expense of weight, but you'd still have the advantage of larger brakes and a VAST selection of pad compounds.
Old 04-03-02, 01:36 PM
smog nazi destroyer

do it up... i definatly would like to upgrade the brakes on my 79.
Old 04-03-02, 01:40 PM
root

I would be interested in the brace.. or even a whole kit for my GSL-SE monster..

-Zach
Old 04-03-02, 07:37 PM
Got Boost?

Ooooo..... I want one, I want one!!!!
make one for 84-85 GS as well
Old 04-03-02, 07:45 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

I don't know how much of a good idea it'd be to make one for 12A cars. There are two different rotors for 12A cars vs. one rotor for GSL-SE. It would make more sense to make something for -SE because bigger brakes require bigger wheels, and bigger wheels are hard to find with 4x110 pattern.

The problem is, most people racing 4x110 are using 13" wheels, so there's no point in making a big brake kit because 12" rotors will not fit inside a 13" wheel. And the calipers in question are not streetable unless you don't mind rebuilding them frequently. That's the problem.
Old 04-03-02, 09:07 PM
Administrator

You're not going into mass production. Make a bracket and hat combo that uses Wilwood calipers and sell them as a fitted set. The Wilwoods will have the seals to make them suitable for "set-and-forget" extended street use. Get a tax license so you can get components cheap and I think you'll make more money than you realize in this endeavor. I officially place myself first on the prototype testing for an '80 front set-up right now!
Old 04-03-02, 09:23 PM
Your Opinion is Wrong

What would be very cool would be a kit utilizing the TII hubs, stud pattern, TII capilers and rotors. That way you have a very easy reaplcment supply.
PLus you get 5 lug standard bolt pattern. Of course, you would need to build a kit for the rears too.

PLus the TII break stuff is quiet light being alluminum,
Old 04-03-02, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Dyre
What would be very cool would be a kit utilizing the TII hubs, stud pattern, TII capilers and rotors. That way you have a very easy reaplcment supply.
PLus you get 5 lug standard bolt pattern. Of course, you would need to build a kit for the rears too.

Actually, that wouldn't be cool because you now have to throw away your present big wheel set-up and drop close to a $G for a new set. I want to use the 15" Weds I have now. I like the look a lot...

Old 04-03-02, 09:49 PM
smog nazi destroyer

i need new wheels anywas, so would love to go to a TII setup like dyre is talking about
Old 04-03-02, 09:59 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Half of the FC brake conversion (detailed way, way above) is converting the hub and rotor to 4x110. If you wanted you could just leave it at 5x4.5".

As for the rears, just stuff a Ford 9" rear back there
Old 04-03-02, 10:32 PM
Admitted Sevenaholic

The hubs above are 4 bolt from the base model, with 5 lug rotors modified to fit

I'm making my kit for myself, and should it prove easy/cheap to make, then I might sell them, but only for the GSL-SE, as I don't have time to design another kit for the 84-85 12A and 79-83 12A

I'm going the modified GSL-SE rotor hub way, so I won't need to worry about needing rims of a different offset or bolt pattern.

Replacement parts are cheap should the need arise, and swapping pads at the track is a breeze with the Wilwoods.

Now to find more spare time, to many projects, to little time.
Old 04-04-02, 02:02 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

so anybody will do this anytime soon or this is all talk???? I need this upgrade and if you guys not doing it, please give me an email of a person that has already done it, so I can get some tips and make it easier on myself.
THanks
Old 04-04-02, 07:03 PM
Admitted Sevenaholic

I'm doing it, no if's and's or but's.
I've already got the Wilwood rotors and Wilwood 4 piston calipers, and a new set of SE rotors to mill down, just waiting to find a spare set of SE struts with the stock brake mounting bracket so I can start to make measurments and begin the project.

Quick Reply: 1st gen Brake Upgrade