Suspension/Wheels/Tires/Brakes

Who has powdercoated stock FD wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-02, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has powdercoated stock FD wheels?

I'm wanting to get my stock FD wheels powdercoated a different color.

I'm looking for people who have done this, how much did it cost, did they sand or bead blast them first, who did the coating, how has it held up, etc.

Thanks,
Wade
Old 01-11-02, 11:27 AM
OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know BATMAN has done it....

PM him.........
Old 01-11-02, 06:37 PM
dear baby jesus...

Well Wade, I am far from West Virginia...but here's my input...

Don't talk to BATMAN about coating rims. While he is a nice guy he will try and stick his wee wee between your cheeks, telling you it will cost you $300 + for the coating. I had my stock rims coated for $80 (all four). This was at a local place called American Powdercoating. This is very far from you, but atleast you know that it can be done for relatively cheap.

But I highly recommend getting yours done. My rims were painted (YUK!) previously and looked like ***. Because of the paint I had to get mine glass bead blasted, which actually cost more than the coating. If your rims just have the stock finish on them, take a stiff wire bristle brush to them with some Simple Green and you'll be good to go. The coating is very very strong and impervious to 100% of all chemicals you will ever encounter on the road. Also, it makes the rims very easy to clean. Dirt and grim just wash away. Looks damn good, IMO too. I will post some pics of my rims tonight when I get home.
Old 01-11-02, 07:13 PM
Rotary Freak

Believe GotBoostd7. I've seen them on his car. Totally stock looking red FD with powdercoated stock wheels make it look 10x better. Simple and cheap yet totally effective and useful. It looks like Mazda should have done them this way to start with. Now if they were only impervious to curbs...

jerk_racer@hotmail.com
Old 01-16-02, 07:27 PM
KM48 Burnout

pics pics pics!!!! I wanna see pics!! =)

I am getting my car painted in the upcoming months. I am thinking of redoing my FC T2 rims. They are looking ratty.

My dad has an FD and I want to see what yours looked like anyways.

:p
Old 01-16-02, 08:56 PM
Bigger and better things

Old 01-17-02, 10:06 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Sweet Look, especially for a track racing FD

No Text
Old 01-20-02, 09:15 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

how about white: they blasted them and cleaned them up
it was about $70 per wheel.

Im going to be selling mine shortly. as I have new wheels comming from japan.

Last edited by 87GTR; 01-20-02 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-21-02, 10:15 PM

If I'm not mistaken, powdercoating can hide minute cracks. Having seen cracked stock 3rd gen RX-7 wheels (the weaker kind) I would not powder coat the wheels!

Last edited by jumprdude; 01-21-02 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 11:01 AM
Ex fd *****

Originally posted by jumprdude
If I'm not mistaken, powdercoating can hide minute cracks. Having seen cracked stock 3rd gen RX-7 wheels (the weaker kind) I would not powder coat the wheels!
Powder Coating will only hide the minutest cracks and only those that exist PRIOR to the powder coating If a crack is visible to the naked eye it will most likley show through the powder coat.
Inspect the wheels very closley for cracks while stripping them prior to powder coating. Powder Coating will only stick to CLEAN BARE METAL the wheels have to be stripped of ALL FINISH and be spotlessly cleaned first and p.c. will NOT hide any scratches, gouges or other surface imperfections.
Old 01-22-02, 11:36 AM

I'm planning to get mine coated white. Gotta find another like wheel though because one of mine is curbed too much. I'm looking for a later 93 manufacture date or newer.

Thanks for the info everybody!

Wade
Old 01-22-02, 02:32 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Wade, powder coat 'em BLACK!

You could also powercoat your wheels black by using Hawk Blues on the fronts for a few track weekends. Rotate tires and repeat. I can't think of a more FUN way to power coat wheels black than with Hawk Blue track pads

Old 02-25-02, 10:08 AM

Exclamation 87gtr

hey those wheels look sweet 87gtr
what price would you sell those at??
how much did it cost you to have them powercoated white??
what tires are you running with those rims??
Old 02-25-02, 11:26 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Old 02-25-02, 11:33 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by GotBoostd7
.....Don't talk to BATMAN about coating rims. While he is a nice guy he will try and stick his wee wee between your cheeks, telling you it will cost you $300 + for the coating. .....

Dang, dude you WA guys are really something else.

It's actually $250 for all 4 rims for the basic coat. If u want fancier coating then it's more. Where is this place that u use? in WA?

They got a site?

Old 02-26-02, 02:31 AM

I just recently got my stockers powdercoated flat black,
is it me or did the powder coat add like a pound to each wheel..
Old 03-01-02, 04:41 PM

OMG!!!

Batman has the best looking 3rd gen I have ever seen!!!
just giving props where it's do

nice car Batman
Old 03-01-02, 08:49 PM
Rotary Freak

Damn straight it is. Most people don't seem to get it when changing the looks of their car. Keep it simple.
BATMAN: hey, watch it with the WA generalization. GotBoostd7's words are indeed true about the price, but everybody around here knows he is nuttier than squirrel crap.
GotBoostd7: get that project of your's together, won't you?

jerk_racer@hotmail.com
Old 03-02-02, 09:06 PM

I can powder coat all four wheels for $120 (includes return shipping). Blasting extra. The guy who did it for $80 was very inexpensive. But, if anyone is interested.....

Send email to bengraves@fuse.net for more info (references available to those interested). My process includes pre-heating the wheel to avoid outgassing after curing the powder. Then I apply two coats of powder, black and clear coat. I use the same acrlyic powder that the OEM's use.

First person to respond gets a $30 discount, but (here's the hitch) as long as you are happy you must leave me a write up on this board.

I will also consider trading powder coating for interesting trades....

Anyone?

Oh yeah, I can only do black at this price. Other colors would cost more.
Old 03-02-02, 09:28 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

THe price that I have includes bead blasting.
Old 03-03-02, 12:15 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

I still have not gotten my wheels from japan yet so.
if you want them make an offer for the wheels.

the tires that are in the picture are A032R Advan.
Old 03-03-02, 10:40 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

yep they are the a032r
Old 03-03-02, 01:23 PM
dear baby jesus...

Originally posted by BATMAN

Dang, dude you WA guys are really something else.

It's actually $250 for all 4 rims for the basic coat. If u want fancier coating then it's more. Where is this place that u use? in WA?

They got a site?
Oh, my bad...I said $300, not $250. Oh, wait...shipping. Like I said, you will be paying BATMAN ~$300 to get your damn rims blasted and coated. This is just waaaaaaaay to much, Alain. It's probably because of where you live...you have said yourself Silicon Valley probably has the highest cost of living anywhere. Why should we subject ourselves to YOUR cost of living?

And yes, I did get my rims coated for VERY cheap. Want to know how I did it? I didn't have some private party person like BATMAN stick his dick in my ***. I found a very large company (American Powdercoat, in Auburn WA) who does BIG jobs like Boeing and Ford. I talked to the manager and he had NOOOOOO problems throwing on a quick gunmetal coat for $80 under the table. You guys don't think there's places like that where you live? I'm guessing there are. Even so, before I found this place I found ATLEAST three other places in my area that we're willing to do it for around $150 for all four. MUCH less than $250 +shipping +any fancy colors.

Just my .02

And BATMAN, please don't start this into some bullshit pissing contest argument. Please...

EDIT: Hell, if you guys want, ship your rims to ME, and I will take them down and get them coated for $80. Any color you want.

Last edited by Brad; 03-03-02 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-03-02, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by 87GTR
how about white: they blasted them and cleaned them up
it was about $70 per wheel.

Im going to be selling mine shortly. as I have new wheels comming from japan.

What kind of tires do you have?
Old 03-03-02, 11:25 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by GotBoostd7

Oh, my bad...I said $300, not $250. Oh, wait...shipping. Like I said, you will be paying BATMAN ~$300 to get your damn rims blasted and coated. This is just waaaaaaaay to much, Alain. It's probably because of where you live...you have said yourself Silicon Valley probably has the highest cost of living anywhere. Why should we subject ourselves to YOUR cost of living?

And yes, I did get my rims coated for VERY cheap. Want to know how I did it? I didn't have some private party person like BATMAN stick his dick in my ***. I found a very large company (American Powdercoat, in Auburn WA) who does BIG jobs like Boeing and Ford. I talked to the manager and he had NOOOOOO problems throwing on a quick gunmetal coat for $80 under the table. You guys don't think there's places like that where you live? I'm guessing there are. Even so, before I found this place I found ATLEAST three other places in my area that we're willing to do it for around $150 for all four. MUCH less than $250 +shipping +any fancy colors.

Just my .02

And BATMAN, please don't start this into some bullshit pissing contest argument. Please...

EDIT: Hell, if you guys want, ship your rims to ME, and I will take them down and get them coated for $80. Any color you want.
Well, now I understand how u got that price soo cheap. It was under the table. Pure and simple.

We don't have any major industry liike Boeing that could do that volume from what I hear. It's more like little here and there.

Now, if I got ur hook ups then it would be a different story.

Quick Reply: Who has powdercoated stock FD wheels?