3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

those of u with seq and upgraded fuel rails give me some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-03, 12:30 AM
Rebreaking things

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those of u with seq and upgraded fuel rails give me some pointers

My new ported motor is due to go in next weekend. The problem is I'm the one that is installing it and I'm not sure how I'm going to find enough room for the upgraded fuel system.

I'm planning on installing an aftermarket secondary rail with 1600cc injectors along with a SX FPR. Recently, I've seen a bunch of install pics, but all appear to be on single turbo cars w/o emissions equipment. I still have an airpump and the sequential system. If anybody has installed or tried to install an aftermarket rail and/or regulator with these items PLEASE speak up.

Here are a couple specific questions to get you guys going.

1.) does an aftermarket rail, such as Keith's, fit with the aircontrol valve and turbo control solenoids in place?
vac diagram

2.) What is the best way to connect the two rails? Can aftermarket ss line be used or am I stuck with stock?

3.) does everything fit with the rat's nest in place?

Thanks for the input

Chris C.
Old 08-31-03, 06:48 AM
mcf

Try this: http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/fuel_system.gif

Although this doesn't address the aftermarket rails... I can tell you that you can run ss line and keep the rats nest. Use -6 and expect a ton of fitment issues (the most troublesome was clearing the OMP injectors after the primaries. I got rid of the FPD and mounted the FPR by the ignitor on the drivers side wall.
Old 08-31-03, 10:41 AM
Rebreaking things

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me specifically how you did it? I'm interested in what angles, and brand of fittings you used as well as the general layout. I only have 3 days to finish the entire project so I'm trying to plot out my stratagy and purchase all the fittings in advance.

-Chris
Old 08-31-03, 11:31 AM
Sponsor

Received 317 Likes on 190 Posts
The K2RD rail that I have will no fit with the air control valve. I'm not sure if Kieth's rail will either. I used the stock hose that goes from the primary to the seccondary rail. For the return off the 2ndary rail, I have an Earl's 90 degree bend connecting to a piece of rubber fuel line and going into the stock hard line. My fpr is mounted by the brake resivour.
Old 08-31-03, 11:49 AM
mcf

I meant to, but never wrote down all the fittings. The best advice that I can give you is that you need to tap the rails farther than you would think (again, clearance issues). I used the diagram above as a general guide with aeroquip fittings. I will pm you with more details if I can find any of my notes. I hope you work fast, because it took at least 4-5 full days to get it right.

MCF
Old 08-31-03, 11:26 PM
Rebreaking things

Originally posted by Rotary Experiment Seven
The K2RD rail that I have will no fit with the air control valve. I'm not sure if Kieth's rail will either.
Great. From what I understand the ACV directs air to the cat. Is there a way to eliminate it while not adversely affecting the operation of the cat? can the rail be modified? Has anybody tried bending it to accomodate the ACV? This is really starting to blow. As I see it my options are as follows:

1. 550/1600s which will require me to cut the factory harness, eliminate the cat, and subsequently port the WG.

2. 850/850s: modify the stock rails while still leaving the potential for fuel leaks and a crappy idle if I set the fuel pressure high enough to cover 370rwhp

3. 550/1300s: sounds like a winner except in a recent pole 28% of the fd owners that responded had them fail

4. 550/850+550: highly experimental and complicated to installed.

They all suck.
Old 09-01-03, 02:04 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by CCarlisi

3. 550/1300s: sounds like a winner except in a recent pole 28% of the fd owners that responded had them fail
The 1300s fail? How?

I asked Rich at cruzinperfomance if they can enlarge the 850s to 1300s (I'm told there there are no factory nippondenso 1300s, they're all enlarged 850s). He said they won't do it as the flow rates are erratic.

Are the Greddy 720s for the primary or secondary fuel rail? I have to assume primary. Any feedback?
Old 09-01-03, 02:05 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah, they're top feed...
Old 09-01-03, 09:38 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rotary Experiment Seven
The K2RD rail that I have will no fit with the air control valve. I'm not sure if Kieth's rail will either.
Ihor (or atleast i think thats who this is) is right. no top feed rail will work without the ACV blocked off.
Old 09-01-03, 10:22 AM
Rebreaking things

Is it possible to run lines directly to the injectors, eliminating the rail all together? I could run a line off the primary with a T that forks into a Y going to each injector. The main line could go to the FPR.

Alternately, could we replace the center section of the secondary rail with a flexible line to bend around the ACV?

It sounds crazy, but I don't know what else to do.
Old 09-01-03, 10:25 AM
Rebreaking things

Here are a couple pictures to give everyone a better idea of what we're talking about.

The ACV sits where the blockoff plate is.
Old 09-01-03, 10:56 AM
Rebreaking things

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...hreadid=219550

" So to upgrade the secondary fuel rail you have to remove the A/p as well?"

"no but to get to the rail you need to remove the ACV then you can put it back on after you are done"
(TTpowerd)

Is that correct?????