1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Storing a rex

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing a rex

I need some advice on what to do to store my rx. It will live in a garage, under a cover. I will probly be letting it sit for a number of months, possibly years . Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 10-10-02, 08:38 PM
1.3L is not that small

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what i would do would be to drain everything in the car, oil, antifreeze.... that way non of this stuff would build up or corrode the engine parts. not sure about rotaries exaclty but im sure its the same, but i would def drain all the antifreeze in it because this will cause rust to certain engine parts if it sits long enough. thats just my .02 cents, guys correct me if i am wrong, also i wouldnt even have any gas in it either. good luck whatever you do and sorry urs is gonna be out of commision but feel better cause mine is for a matter of years lol (takes time to build a drag car $$$ wise)
Old 10-10-02, 10:29 PM
Driven a turbo FB lately?

Wellthe problems you are gonna run into are the changing of the seasons and temp changes... Any bare metal parts will build up moisture and start to rust.. what you really need is someone that can start and drive it say every month... Drive it around turns splash the gas around in the tank (to stop rust from forming) allow the oil to coat the engine etc...

Fuel stabalizer, and someone else will have more suggestions...
Old 10-11-02, 07:43 AM
I Post In The Nude

Theres a nice thread on how to store our type of engines in the second gen forum. Ill see if i cant dig it up later today. It was really good thread, very informative.
Old 10-11-02, 07:52 AM
I Post In The Nude

Found it

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...ht=storing+rx7

Enjoy,
Matt
Old 10-12-02, 01:35 PM

thanks guys i appreciate your help
Old 10-12-02, 04:07 PM
Rotoholic Moderookie

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Yeah... I had some MAJOR problems getting a badly stored RX7 back on the road after four years.... I even had a thread here earlier this summer..

I'm still not finished, she's still not running, but the engine siezed, the brakes siezed, the starter and clutch cyls had to be replaced.... ugh.. what a job... I think the antifreeze gell'd up on me, so I may have to replace the rad and somehow flush the gel out of the rest of the engine, but since I'm stuck with carb problems, I don't know the extent of the damage, since I haven't started it.

My advice:
If it's in a garage, start it and let it run for 10-30 mins every month throughout the winter, then get a travel permit and take it on long cruises throughout the summer. Change the oil and antifreeze every year, and watch for signs of wear. Mine was stored by it's previous owner every winter simply by parking it under a tarp every winter, and it survived. We can thank my mum for the stupid 4 year sitting in the driveway.

L8rs
Jon
Old 10-13-02, 11:24 AM

Received 308 Likes on 269 Posts
for storage, i'd say just fill the tank. pour about a tablespoon (maybe even one and a half) of gear oil down all four throttle bores (if you have an SE, then you'll have to remove the upper manifold) then turn the engine by hand through a few revolutions. cover the mouth of the air filter assembly after you replace it. also, take the battery out and store it somewhere by itself.

obviously, starting it every month or so would be the best thing, but i understand that it may not be convenient -

to be honest, in my opinion, i've come to see that storing the car is not nearly as important as what you do when you go to retrieve the car. i've noticed that a lot of people with Rx-7s in storage go "ape-****" when they go to collect their car. it's like after such a long separation, they get bit all over again. i think that's what destroys a lot of engines. they go, start the car and leave 2 long black marks out of the garage/lot/whatever and just start revving the **** out of it before it's ready!

if you go and turn the engine by hand through a few revs ... being careful to note any weird resistance ... BEFORE actually trying to start it
long as you let it warm up and take it easy on the revs until you get to refill the tank with good gas, and then change the oil as soon as you can, i think you should be fine.

there! ... 3 cents
Old 10-13-02, 06:00 PM
Who are u?

I have advice... just before u store give a nice big kiss good bye...