2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

How much oil does a 13B hold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 07:12 PM
Ooooooh, custom.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much oil does a 13B hold?

I know that i need to change it soon, and im probably going to go with royal purple, for engine, and tranny fluid.

Also, im sure its ugly on the inside, so how would i clean it all out during the oil change? I want it to be as smooth as possible in there.

Suggested weight of the oil? Im fairly new to the rotary, and dont want to botch it...

Thanks!
Old 11-16-06, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 quarts of Castrol GTX 20-50 in summer and I use 10-30 in winter.
Old 11-16-06, 07:41 PM
Interruptor Illuminada

6 quarts to be safe.
Old 11-16-06, 08:14 PM
Roamin Gnome Racing. Bah!

Originally Posted by Innovation
5 quarts of Castrol GTX 20-50 in summer and I use 10-30 in winter.

I ran 20w-50 in mine in the old motor last summer..never had a problem.
Old 11-16-06, 08:54 PM
Rotary $ > AMG $

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by riverzendz
6 quarts to be safe.

Yes, and while you are at it put 22 gallons of gas in the tank, just so you won't run out.

How bout 6 quarts in the tranny? And 5 Gallons of coolant?

The following users liked this post:
eriksiddons (02-21-19)
Old 11-16-06, 09:09 PM
Ooooooh, custom.

okay, so 5 quart pan, 20W50 royal purple, and what about tranny fluid, how much does that take? suggested weight?

Thanks for everything so far!
Old 11-16-06, 09:17 PM
burn to burn

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
rotary noob unless you are runing premix I don't reccomend synthetics like royal purple for the engine oil.. it's debateable so feel free to do some research
Old 11-16-06, 09:19 PM
Interruptor Illuminada

When you buy 5 quarts of RP and change the oil, then check your oil when filling the gas tank and you realize you're a bit low, well...good luck finding Royal Purple at Texaco.

If you buy 6 quarts you've got a spare to top it off when needed in between changes. You will need to top it off.

Last edited by Aaron Cake; 11-17-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 09:39 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Riverzendz was answering "how much should I buy" not "how much it holds."
And to answer, an oil change requires around 4.5 quarts of oil, maybe slightly more. As stated get six to top it off between changes. The Non-turbo tranny holds 2.1 quarts, get 3 since you will probably spill some. The diff holds 1.4 quarts, get 2.
And as for the comment about not using royal purple unless you premix, that has been proven wrong countless times. Its even in the FAQ. The short of it is, Castrol GTX provides more than enough protection so many argue that using synths is wasting money. Some have said the motor runs smoother with royal purple, but I haven't personally verified this.
Old 11-16-06, 09:46 PM
Ooooooh, custom.

premix how, im new to rotary, please inform me, I would like to know more about it.

I know that many people run synth (i run synth in the vette as well, so its what i know)

Thanks for the input though.
Old 11-16-06, 09:53 PM
Rotary $ > AMG $

Rotary Noob, please download the FSM. FSM=Factory Service Manual. You will find a FAQ link at the top of the main 2gen page. On this page you will find links to downloas the FSM. This will have all the answers to all your capacity questions so you won't fall prey to people like 'Clueless in Maryland'.

And remember, just cause someone has lots of posts, that doesn't mean you are getting good information.

Regarding the Royal Purple: Do a search for synthetic oil and you will find many many threads debating the issue of whether or not to use synthetics or not. Royal Purple and a couple of others are acceptable, most other synthetics are not. Most people on this forum do not use synthetic. Despite rivernutz incorrect information and his childish attitude, his comment about Royal Purple at the Texaco is valid. This alone is a good reason not to use it. I would bet that the most commonly used oil by members of this forum is Castrol 20W50.

I am pretty sure they all use 5 qts in the engine...

Last edited by Aaron Cake; 11-17-06 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 09:54 PM
Ooooooh, custom.

Thanks for the input 7, that helps alot! I dont have a full manual, and dont know if they even include that...but, now i know.

what weight for tranny fluid, diff? I know royal purple makes both...just dont know what weight.

Keep the suggestions coming guys!
Old 11-16-06, 09:57 PM
75LIDE7

Originally Posted by Rotary Noob
I know that i need to change it soon, and im probably going to go with royal purple, for engine, and tranny fluid.

Also, im sure its ugly on the inside, so how would i clean it all out during the oil change? I want it to be as smooth as possible in there.

Suggested weight of the oil? Im fairly new to the rotary, and dont want to botch it...

Thanks!
royal purple ftw.
Old 11-16-06, 10:02 PM
Lives on the Forum

I believe you use 75w90 with royal purple. Use the appropriate type as well. There are different types for LSD's and open diffs/trannys.
As for getting royal purple, there are actually several stores around here that carry it. I haven't checked at any of the local ricer shops out of principle, but NAPA and O'reilly's both carry it here.
As for synthetics, the reason people say not to use them is that the rotary burns oil, and most synthetics don't burn cleanly. Royal Purple (and a few others like AMSoil) are the exceptions. You can get more info with a search.
And in short, premixing is adding 2cycle oil to the gas to help lube the engine internals. Again, more info will come with a seach. In fact, just read the 2nd gen FAQ, it has basically all this info in it.
Edit: According to the FSM, the oil pan holds 4.7 quarts and the filter holds .32, which makes 5 quarts. I was right about the other amounts, though.
Old 11-16-06, 10:08 PM
Lives on the Forum

For coolant, just run the green stuff. I use either prestone any-color, or the advance auto generic brand. For the love of God, don't use dex-cool.
Old 11-16-06, 10:11 PM
Ooooooh, custom.

Thats what i was wondering, the vette takes dex cool, so good to know to not run it. This has helped alot, thanks guys. I will go read the faq eventually, just dont have time in class right now...
Old 11-16-06, 10:14 PM
Rotary $ > AMG $

Originally Posted by Sideways7
Riverzendz was answering "how much should I buy" not "how much it holds."
And to answer, an oil change requires around 4.5 quarts of oil, maybe slightly more. As stated get six to top it off between changes. The Non-turbo tranny holds 2.1 quarts, get 3 since you will probably spill some. The diff holds 1.4 quarts, get 2.
And as for the comment about not using royal purple unless you premix, that has been proven wrong countless times. Its even in the FAQ. The short of it is, Castrol GTX provides more than enough protection so many argue that using synths is wasting money. Some have said the motor runs smoother with royal purple, but I haven't personally verified this.

If he was, then he didn't answer the original question. Im pretty sure that Rotary Noob didn't mean how much to buy when he specifically asked 'How much oil does a 13b hold'.

In fact, that is the title of this thread.

Innovation gave the correct answer. Riverendz corrected him with incorrect and potentially harmful information.

Anyone who professes to be a rotary noob and asks such a basic question deserves accurate answers and a pointer to the search and FAQ.

FAQ
https://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generation-specific-1986-1992-17/frequently-asked-questions-2nd-generation-rx-7-faq-fc-494667/
FSM
https://www.rx7club.com/showthread.p...18#post5131218

Good Luck.
Old 11-16-06, 10:55 PM
Do you feel lucky punk!!!

if you want to add more oil quarts, buy the Moroso oil pan for rotary engines.
Old 11-17-06, 07:05 AM
Rotaries confuse me

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitrometano
if you want to add more oil quarts, buy the Moroso oil pan for rotary engines.
Why would you want to add more capacity? I don't see a point unless it has something to do with racing (of which I know nothing).
Old 11-17-06, 09:36 AM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts
Thread cleaned up, warnings issues, etc. etc.

This is also a thread that shouldn't exist. This information is available in the FAQ, Factory Service Manual, Haynes Manual, Owners Manual and has been covered a million times.

Please keep in mind that you should ALWAYS check the FAQ and search the forum before asking a question. It's likely you will find your answer faster, and it would have avoided the idiotic flames in this thead that I had to clean up...