2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

OMP rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 10:11 AM
Play Well

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMP rebuild?

Okay, my 87 NA has got like the worst oil leak ever, like bad bad, but only after I abuse It. After I shot a movie one day of some flamage, the car was smoking like a bitch from all the oil that sprayed back while I had been driving it to warm up and then the exhaust got so hot it started buring off... after I had shut It off. So I was looking, and I see this huge puddle forming before my eyes, just huge (well at least for a puddle of oil forming before your very eyes). I knew my car had a leak, and I knew it wasn't THAT bad, too. From some stuff in the past, I know the OMP is leaking, and I am led to believe that it is the only thing leaking, becasue only after some hardcore revving or driving, do I get more noticeable leaks.

This all leads me to my origian lquestion: Can I get an OMP rebuild kit? Can I replace the seals and rings on my own? Any thoughts or info would be great.
Old 11-01-05, 11:01 AM
HAILERS

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
THAT is a good question. It seems the LEVER has a O'ring inside it(under the spring area of the lever), and that is where I've developed a leak on one of my spares.

There was a thread the last two days on omp's and a fellow named AVIATOR something mentioned how he rebuilt his using vitron seals.

So I got your post back to the top this way. I know of no kits myself.
Old 11-01-05, 11:13 AM
my fc broke

i just replaced the copper o rings, oval o ring on the pump when you take it off and you can pull the shaft out that spins and there is an O ring there, i replaced all those
Old 11-01-05, 12:23 PM
HAILERS

Jpg Of Omp Internals
Attached Thumbnails OMP rebuild?-omp.jpg   OMP rebuild?-omp2.jpg   OMP rebuild?-omp3.jpg   OMP rebuild?-omp4.jpg   OMP rebuild?-omp5.jpg  

Old 11-01-05, 03:03 PM
Chicken Adobo

Originally Posted by 1SxyRXy
i just replaced the copper o rings, oval o ring on the pump when you take it off and you can pull the shaft out that spins and there is an O ring there, i replaced all those

Have a source on those orings?(for the shaft)

I used rtv for the 2 plates that screw on. For the shaft, I think the seal is more towards the center compared to where Hailer points out in his picture, I could be wrong though.

I couldn't find a suitable replacement for it so what I did was coat the seal with rtv and then stuck the shaft into the bore and let the rtv set. Once all the rtv set, I reinstalled the omp and took it for a spin. In the 4 days since I did this, it has not leaked...yet.

I have been going through different mikuni carb parts catalogues to see if they offer a similar seal, havnt found any yet.
My disclaimer: This has worked so far for me, no guarantees it will work for you. Try it at your own risk.
Old 11-01-05, 03:32 PM
HAILERS

There's a o'ring on the SHAFT under that dust cover I'm pointing to in the first picture. It looks like it's going to be painful to pull the old o'ring out because the dust shield is in the way and the o'ring has hardened over the years (leaks). I plan to pull it out and measure the o'ring and shaft diameter then see if there is a aviation typr O'ring that comes close to matching. Like a MS28778-3 or the like.

Maybe just a o'ring found at AutoZone off the shelf or a airconditioning o'ring. Who knows.
Old 11-01-05, 04:45 PM
He who smokes bitches

is it burning oil when it first warms up? my car started burning a LOT of oil all of a sudden, smoke so thick you cant see through it. could this be my problem? someone told me i need a rebuild, but the lady i bought the car from said it was rebuilt 30k miles ago.

p.s, sorry to thread jack, just need a couple quick answers
Old 11-01-05, 05:09 PM
I

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i had a strange oil leak in the front area of hte motor i thought was from the OMP, an did only gett it while at high rpm and ussually under full throttle.. it would sort of spray and then get on exhaust and make smoke pour out everywhere.

on mine it turned out to be the front cover gasket was leaking near the top and oil would run down the side and then the fan would fling it onto the exhaust. .......

good way i found to find oil leaks is to buy a can of engine degreaser, and spray the crap out of hte front of the engine or all the oily areas.. let it set for like 20 minues then spray it all off with a high pressure hose, and use rags, to get whats left, then everything is all shiny
then i removed the e fan and shroud and started the car, then i ran around the motor looking for where the oil began to seep from. if it only leaks at higher revs rev up the motor a bit by hand while standing in the front and watch for where oil drips or seeps from!
Old 11-01-05, 06:57 PM
He who smokes bitches

huh...mines only at first. once the car is completely warmed up, it doesnt do it
Old 11-06-05, 06:07 PM
HAILERS

Originally Posted by HAILERS
There's a o'ring on the SHAFT under that dust cover I'm pointing to in the first picture. It looks like it's going to be painful to pull the old o'ring out because the dust shield is in the way and the o'ring has hardened over the years (leaks). I plan to pull it out and measure the o'ring and shaft diameter then see if there is a aviation typr O'ring that comes close to matching. Like a MS28778-3 or the like.

Maybe just a o'ring found at AutoZone off the shelf or a airconditioning o'ring. Who knows.

I'm just posting some jpg's. They show the front cover and in red I tried to show how the path runs for the oil metering pump.

If you take a air nozzle and apply air to the small feed hole on the left side of the cover, you'll find most the air comes out the center of the ROLL PIN that holds the gear shaft in place. You won't feel much if any air coming out the place the omp mates to the cover.

You'll also find a FLAT place on the gear shaft leading to the mating area of the omp.
Attached Thumbnails OMP rebuild?-oilcoverone.jpg   OMP rebuild?-frontcovertwo.jpg   OMP rebuild?-rollpinhole.jpg   OMP rebuild?-oilrouting.jpg  

Last edited by HAILERS; 11-06-05 at 06:16 PM.