Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

My custom SMB/Racing Beat super silent stealth exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 07:14 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up My custom SMB/Racing Beat super silent stealth exhaust

I was running a Buddy Club Spec III exhaust but with my street port it was so loud it hurt after about 15 min on the highway. I added a Moroso Spiral Flow which is debatable on whether it is too resctrictive. Using the formula I found, it's good (non restrictive) untill about 300rwhp. I was going to add a super light weight resonator from coast fab but didn't want to add another $350 for a might work.

I ended up getting a universal exhaust from Racing Beat (18x8x5 I think), flange & gasket (about $125) and two resonators and a tip from SMB. One 12" replaced my SPiral Flow and the other went in to the strait section for the custom exhaust. I just barely fit well (was pushing it). I would recomend 17" or maybe even 16" if you don't have an expert welder close by to do the work. This way you can easily clear the brace and he can possible make the strait section end angled to tilt it upwards for ground clearance and not interfere with the mandrel bend. The two resonators and tip were about $300 shipped (same price as 1 from coast fab but heavier). Install was done by www.zoomersexhaust.com and cost $350 total.

Yes, very expensive for the whole setup (about $750) but it's extremely quiet! Zoomers seams pricey but I got quoted the same price form Welding Works for aluminized steel and their welds anre no way as clean as Zoomers. They do top quality work. I can't beleive how quiet the car is and it's strait through with a street port. Everyone told me it couldn't be done, that I would have to sacrifice power to be quiet. All I can say is "Ha Ha"!
Old 07-02-07, 07:42 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Sorry, my cell phone won't synch and I can't upload the pics. They aren't the greatest either. My X has my dig camera. That was a mistake. I will post pics tonight.
Old 07-02-07, 09:34 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post up pix! If you get the chance to do a video or sound clip, that would be cool too. What would you compare the sound to?
Old 07-02-07, 10:49 PM
FEED me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I want to see this. So, no cat huh?
Old 07-03-07, 12:40 AM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

I don't have my digital camera. Since X has it, may not get it back. I do have a metalic cat (Arvin Meritor). It is very small (200 cell) and I was able to fit the 12" resonator behind it (which replaced the Moroso Spiral Flow). I will post pics when I get home tonight or the latest in the morning (only camera phone quality, sorry). I will be at Mazfest, so if you guys are there you can see and hear it.

I can only compare it to stock. It 10x quieter then the Spiral Flow which was 10X quieter then just the Buddy Club. It's so quiet that I can now hear my fuel pump and it annoys me. I'll have to fix the stereo or put some kind of dampening over it. Oh, since I received an exhaust ticket over the weekend I will be requesting them to test the DB (of the new setup).
Old 07-03-07, 01:09 AM
Rotary Freak

I don't know what buddy club exhaust is...doesn't sound like a club I'd join. Sorry, if I missed something but is your exhaust from the ports back? What kind of header are your running? Or did you pay all that money for catback?
Old 07-03-07, 03:40 AM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

There is no club to join and it's easily searchable espcially since it's in my sig several times but you are mssing the point since the title is "SMB/Racing Beat".

I do not have a header. It's a single turbo. I could have posted in the 3rd gen section but i'm sure FC & FB's have ported (turbo) engines. Ports back? ...you mean DP back? (please reread first post)

To clear up the next predicted reply: My old BC exaust is similar to Apexi N1. Strait design with a resonator, clamp on hanger and slip in silencer. Again, thread is not about old exhaust but rather about "quieting" down a "ported" rotary engine.

Old 07-03-07, 05:32 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Here's some more pic's. I'm not selling anything. You can replicate it or maybe A-Spec can since they do such a beautiful job tig welding. I'm only sharing my results, espcially since I was repeatedly told there's no way to quiet down a street port. Furthermore, I still have alot of Buddy Club parts left on my car.

It's not as perfect as I wanted or expected. Since I saw a peice of metal rod I beleive it was Mig welded (expected tig from a shop that makes exhausts) allthough the nicest mig welds i've seen and it could have been higher up towards the rear of the muffler and the bends. There is plenty of clearance but tending to be a perfectionist, there is more room above and I would prefer that even though it would tilt it slightly and the best flow is strait.