3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Thermostat replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-01, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat replacement questions

I need some more info on this subject. I did a search and here's what I came up with

1."Firas Arabo"

I would agree with Kyle on going with the stock t-stat next time around. According to Peter, for optimal performance the ECU wants to see a water temp reading of no less than 180. Below that point, the computer is still is warm up/protective mode. Solenoids, secondary butterflies and injectors all work as if the car was still cold. This is especially a problem on the highway since temps will drop below the 180 mark and get pretty close to 170. The difference in the minimum running temperature on the highway at around 70 mph is only about 10 degrees, and as it turns out, that's 10 degrees too cold.

2.hawaii rx-7

ok i checked the workshop manual. it says the thermostat fully opens at 203 °F

3.cewrx7r1

[3] thermal switch upgrade
Lately someone posted that there was a Miata thermo switch which closed at 207F instead of 226F as does our the stock one. I was sceptical because once before this was posted and the part given was a thermo sensor, not a switch. I had checked with my local Mazda parts guy, he could not find a Miata thermo switch.

The part given recently; N350-18-840, is indeed a thermo switch. Costs $57 locally. It fits perfectly into the same place as does the stock one. I tested it with a cooking thermometer, it closed at 210F. Only one catch, the stock connector will not work with it. You will have to splice a small female spade connector onto the original wire.

anyone else want to chip in
Old 09-07-01, 05:45 PM

here's the questions:

what are your experiences for those who replaced the tstat with a miata one?

what's the part number?
Old 09-10-01, 02:33 AM

yes, i still havn't found a replacement thermostat...

someone, who replaced their thermostat with a 180° F one, please help us out!. Part numbers please!!!! Anything would be nice. Miata one? will that fit? help help help!
Old 06-14-02, 05:38 PM

Hey I was curiious if you have solved your overheating problems. And if so what was the problem?
Old 03-17-03, 06:26 PM
de doober

Sorry for bringing this from the dead... but I am in the middle of putting in a miata thermo sensor right now. Went to the junk yard and got the connector from an old 626. However upon getting the one in the car out I noticed that there are two wires going to that connector while the one from the 626 only has one. Do I splice them into both or just one of them... Please help! Thanks in advanced..
Old 03-17-03, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Goober
Sorry for bringing this from the dead... but I am in the middle of putting in a miata thermo sensor right now. Went to the junk yard and got the connector from an old 626. However upon getting the one in the car out I noticed that there are two wires going to that connector while the one from the 626 only has one. Do I splice them into both or just one of them... Please help! Thanks in advanced..
I have not done this, but I think that what is posted above says that a thermosensor is NOT the same as a thermoswitch. I think you should do some more research before you start cutting wires.

Jeff
Old 03-18-03, 08:32 AM

The current stock FD Thermostat is a redesigned part. It is now an 180 degree thermostat. The original thermostat I believe was a 190-200.That is why there is a conflict in the manual. Mazda quickly discovered that mistake. I dont know anyone who has put in a Miata Thermostat into an FD. The FD part isnt expensive. Make sure you change the O-ring. (Comes with it)
Call Russell Mazda @ 800-638-8401 or Malloy@888-533-3400 ask for Ray Crowe. They have the best prices. Good luck
Kevin
Old 03-18-03, 09:28 AM
de doober

Originally posted by aReX-7
I have not done this, but I think that what is posted above says that a thermosensor is NOT the same as a thermoswitch. I think you should do some more research before you start cutting wires.

Jeff
Yeah I found the instuctions after searching around. I was doing it from memory. All is well now and I found the right one and its in.