3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

In dire need of experts to chime in.

Old 03-09-14, 10:46 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CA In dire need of experts to chime in.

As you might as well know i am very new here. i have a 94 touring with 146,000 original miles. my question is should i try to salvage what i can with this motor and start changing the intercooler, radiator, AST ... etc. i already found a motor id want from ebay for 2900. was thinking of just getting that and building it till this motor dies on me. what do you guys think? trying to save on labor and where ever i can.
o2_jockey is offline  
Old 03-09-14, 11:03 PM
  #2  
Rotary Enthusiast
5 Year Member
 
96fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,092
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats wrong with your current engine?
96fd3s is offline  
Old 03-09-14, 11:08 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96fd3s View Post
whats wrong with your current engine?
no paper work to prove but they said it was rebuilt. but the turbos are leaking. i ppi'd it at mazda and said the compression test showed 5.5 (not sure if they did it right) rear main is leaking pretty bad from what i saw underneath. but with all that ive been commuting with it still pulls strong. no smoke. idles fine. so thats where i am a little stuck.
o2_jockey is offline  
Old 03-09-14, 11:18 PM
  #4  
Eh
iTrader: (55)
 
djseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 6,216
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Likely oil pan leak and not rear main. The engine has been rebuilt, believe that. I doubt Mazda performed the compression test correctly as the car would really struggle to hot start with that compression. If it runs good just enjoy it. Upgrade the IC, install water/meth injection and start replacing coolant and fuel components.
djseven is offline  
Old 03-09-14, 11:23 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djseven View Post
Likely oil pan leak and not rear main. The engine has been rebuilt, believe that. I doubt Mazda performed the compression test correctly as the car would really struggle to hot start with that compression. If it runs good just enjoy it. Upgrade the IC, install water/meth injection and start replacing coolant and fuel components.
Great thank you! been wondering what route to take for the last couple days. i really want to keep this thing on the road as much as possible.
o2_jockey is offline  
Old 03-10-14, 12:14 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CA

just one more question. if my turbos are leaking im hearing people just buy a new motor than to replace the turbos. not sure whats the best choice in my situation.
o2_jockey is offline  
Old 03-10-14, 12:59 AM
  #7  
Retired Moderator, RIP
iTrader: (142)
 
misterstyx69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Smiths Falls.(near Ottawa!.Mapquest IT!)
Posts: 25,758
Likes: 0
Liked 96 Times in 83 Posts
Don't listen to idiots.That's like saying if you had a broken window then replace the house.

Get a proper compression test done if you are worried about the engine.
If the turbos are leaking then address the Turbos.
You are in Cali..so there are lots of members that can help you.Try to avoid the dealership,they like your color of money but not your choice of 20 year old car.They will overprice your parts but they still don't like working on a rotary..it's ancient in their eyes.
misterstyx69 is offline  
Old 03-10-14, 01:05 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misterstyx69 View Post
Don't listen to idiots.That's like saying if you had a broken window then replace the house.

Get a proper compression test done if you are worried about the engine.
If the turbos are leaking then address the Turbos.
You are in Cali..so there are lots of members that can help you.Try to avoid the dealership,they like your color of money but not your choice of 20 year old car.They will overprice your parts but they still don't like working on a rotary..it's ancient in their eyes.
Ya i totally agree with you. the dealership was the last place i wanted to ppi the car. but seeing that the area the seller was in i really had no choice. but ok sounds good. thanks for the advise.
o2_jockey is offline  
Old 03-10-14, 08:16 AM
  #9  
Rotary Freak
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stay away from ebay when buying motors . LoL Look for a reputable seller on here even if its a bit more expensive . but atleast you will know what you're really getting .

But I agree that you should enjoy the car . get some reliability mods and just drive it .

make sure you have AAA or towing service included in your insurance coverage .
Tem120 is offline  
Old 03-10-14, 08:39 AM
  #10  
Rotary Freak
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as for the turbos , they are a bit annoying to replace because of the confined space . BUT its not ALL that difficult . take a weekend , and buy a downpipe so you can replace the OEM twin cat downpipe while you're at it .

if the turbos are leaking OEM turbos are dime a dozen you can also go with upgraded turbos , but then you gotta look into getting an ECU , and a tune .

I believe you can keep the stock ECU with 99 spec twins .

But you can usually find good stock twins for 200 I sold mine for 150 and they were in perfect shape.
Tem120 is offline  
Old 03-10-14, 06:00 PM
  #11  
Full Member
iTrader: (5)
 
moneypitracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Harmony MN
Posts: 104
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree on replacing your turbos. I did mine last fall, first night I dropped the oil and coolant, labelled all the hoses, removed all the intake and intercooler piping, and soaked all the nuts and bolts to be removed in penetrating oil. Second night I removed the down pipe and turbo assembly. Third night I installed the new turbos and put everything back together. The only issue I had was an air lock when refilling the coolant. If you take your time and label everything its not bad at all. You can even find the factory service manual on this forum for a step by step instructions. I spread mine out over three nights but one good Saturday should do it.(as long as nothing breaks
moneypitracing is offline  
Old 03-11-14, 12:34 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tem120 View Post
as for the turbos , they are a bit annoying to replace because of the confined space . BUT its not ALL that difficult . take a weekend , and buy a downpipe so you can replace the OEM twin cat downpipe while you're at it .

if the turbos are leaking OEM turbos are dime a dozen you can also go with upgraded turbos , but then you gotta look into getting an ECU , and a tune .

I believe you can keep the stock ECU with 99 spec twins .

But you can usually find good stock twins for 200 I sold mine for 150 and they were in perfect shape.
thanks ya im still debating whether to just replace it back with oem save the money and replace all the cooling or just upgrade the turbo's and everything and get it done with.... would you be able to reccomend a good replacement turbo?




Originally Posted by moneypitracing View Post
I totally agree on replacing your turbos. I did mine last fall, first night I dropped the oil and coolant, labelled all the hoses, removed all the intake and intercooler piping, and soaked all the nuts and bolts to be removed in penetrating oil. Second night I removed the down pipe and turbo assembly. Third night I installed the new turbos and put everything back together. The only issue I had was an air lock when refilling the coolant. If you take your time and label everything its not bad at all. You can even find the factory service manual on this forum for a step by step instructions. I spread mine out over three nights but one good Saturday should do it.(as long as nothing breaks
thanks for the reply. this looks like i job i would be able to do. but with my time restrictions i think it would take me a lot longer...
o2_jockey is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
djSL
The Bad & Fugly Businesses
24
09-21-17 03:09 AM
He's On Toroids
NE RX-7 Forum
48
10-19-15 08:58 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In dire need of experts to chime in.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.