Carbon sunroof - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Carbon sunroof

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-08-18, 11:30 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Orlando
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon sunroof



I have a carbon fiber sunroof to install,

i was wondering if anyone has any pictures of their carbon sunroof installed, it came with no instructions and could use some advice.

Thank you, I posted this in new member technical as well but figured this was a better place to ask for help.
Jsmith.x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 07:10 AM
  #2  
REINCARNATED
 
Relisys190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,247
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Have you already removed the existing metal sunroof panel? If not here's a decent video showing how.
Relisys190 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 01:05 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Orlando
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
Have you already removed the existing metal sunroof panel? If not here's a decent video showing how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaV9oYyg4lg
yes I have removed the original sunroof, itís just a giant opening in my roof now lol. It rains everyday in Florida and I have a car cover but water still gets in sometimes
Jsmith.x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 02:54 PM
  #4  
Rotorhead for life
iTrader: (1)
 
Pete_89T2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you removed the stock panel, installation of the CF replacement sunroof panel should be pretty obvious - goes back in the same way the stock one came out; just bolt it back on with the stock M6 nuts. You may need some shims under the studs/nuts to get the panel to align with the roof properly when closed. Now if your new CF "replacement" panel is just a blank panel, and is missing the 6x M6 mounting studs like the stock panel that are supposed to line up with the holes in the stock panel brackets/trolley, you're going to have to get creative and figure out how to fabricate something.
Pete_89T2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 11:34 AM
  #5  
B O R I C U A
iTrader: (14)
 
KNONFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 5,333
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete_89T2 View Post
If you removed the stock panel, installation of the CF replacement sunroof panel should be pretty obvious - goes back in the same way the stock one came out; just bolt it back on with the stock M6 nuts. You may need some shims under the studs/nuts to get the panel to align with the roof properly when closed. Now if your new CF "replacement" panel is just a blank panel, and is missing the 6x M6 mounting studs like the stock panel that are supposed to line up with the holes in the stock panel brackets/trolley, you're going to have to get creative and figure out how to fabricate something.

Careful, there used to be a vendor that used a different thread and pitch, cant remember if the studs where american instead of metric; but they weren't the factory thread. To add to what you said, OP be careful when bolting the cf/fg panel, the studs are glued in, make sure you dont over torque them; the studs will come lose, or even fall apart.
KNONFS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 10:07 AM
  #6  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (8)
 
Gregory Casimir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Miami , Florida
Posts: 1,326
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsmith.x View Post


yes I have removed the original sunroof, itís just a giant opening in my roof now lol. It rains everyday in Florida and I have a car cover but water still gets in sometimes

If water is still getting in then you might have the same problem that plagues most FC owners which is the sunroof bracket (holds the whole sunroof tracks and motor) has become Swiss cheese in appearance and will leak. its designed to drain rain water through 4 sprouts at each corner that have tubes attached to them. i recently went through the trouble of cleaning and repairing mine as I had no luck finding a rust free one. also if your sunroof seal is in good shape would help as well.
Gregory Casimir is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
EvoElite
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
17
01-07-06 05:52 PM
86GXL
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
24
09-04-05 11:35 PM
aGoGo
1st Generation Specific (1979-1985)
22
06-06-04 08:12 PM
MIKE-P-28
1st Generation Specific (1979-1985)
31
10-10-02 10:45 PM
suganuma
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
1
09-21-01 03:05 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon sunroof


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: