1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

What happens when stuff works the right way!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 12:00 PM
7less for now!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens when stuff works the right way!

Well it works have not had it on street yet but meh it works! Concerns include the engine temp i had a 180 thermo in it but it quickly rose to half on the gauge and the hoses where not hot. Ut oh thermo is not opening so i switched out with a older 160 unit. Seems to stay right where its at in the video. Now before i had my fans hooked to come on from the choke thermo switch on the back of the wp housing. I was told that opens the switch at 155. MY needle is no where near that high as before it turned on the fans just before 1/3rd Only difference now is fans are on all the time. But i let the car run for about 20 minutes and it did not budge! STRANGE. anything to worry about here guy's. It is only about 65 out today.

Old 06-11-08, 12:04 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"this is how **** is suppose to work when its not blowing ******* oil everywhere!"

lol!
Old 06-11-08, 12:27 PM
7less for now!

Sorry i got a sailor mouth and it will never change lol. HEre is the story with the thermo when i put this all in i had got a new thermo. SO i filled everything up and fired it up(thats when it was blowing oil) then i remembered it has to be a bypass thermo ah **** i cant remember so i took it apart yup it a by pass. Then today the charger shows up and i fire it up gauge goes to 1/2 in like 5 minutes. Hoses where not hot at all. SO i put the 160 in hoses get hot alright. But that gauge concerns me. I boiled the other stat and it opens all right. Only thing i can think off was i had a huge pocket of air in the system when i put it back in the other day. And all the air must have settle under the thermo not letting any fluid under the thermo. There for causing it to not open! The thermo i had did not have the jiggle pin either to let air out must have just gotten lucky the first time.

The idle issues was because of my locked dizzy i was told with my timing advanced 10 at idle it would idle for **** and be lumpy. But it idles better than a stock car with a rats nest.
Old 06-11-08, 12:33 PM
Stu-Tron Get Yo Groove On

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by perfect_circle
"this is how **** is suppose to work when its not blowing ******* oil everywhere!"

lol!
I lol'd when he said that!

Congrats on getting her running!
Old 06-11-08, 12:38 PM
7less for now!

what about where the temp needle is guys?
Old 06-11-08, 12:58 PM
Stu-Tron Get Yo Groove On

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I cant really tell, but it looks to be like 2 or 3 needles above the cold line?
Old 06-11-08, 01:03 PM
Censored

Received 176 Likes on 137 Posts
First of all, love the video. A video is worth a million regular words or 500,000 sailor talk words.

Second of all, your temp is way too low. The engine needs to run at 185-190 to work at full efficiency, gas mileage, performance and endurance will suffer if the engine is forced to run all the time at the wrong temperature. Just ask the Mazda engineers, who in this neck of the woods are given supreme respect.

Third, the idle is nice, especially for that big ball buster carb, but it doesn't idle nearly as well as a stock nikki with the rat's nest helping it out. Unless you can bring that idle down to 400 rpm and still have it purr without skipping a beat. Here, can you do this:

That's a stock nikki with the rat's next idling at 400 rpm and getting 23-24 mpg.

Sounds like this with the idle set to 750 and a few revs:

Fourth of all, I'm hoping your oil pressure sensor is unplugged, you sure aren't showing much oil pressure!

Next work Ben!
Old 06-11-08, 01:12 PM
Rotary Freak

are we going to have a lowest idle speed competition? cause i bet i can win! once i get my camera working, ill take a vid, i got mine to idle at the lowest mark on the tach, the one with no numbers! lol....thats probably not a good thing.
Old 06-11-08, 01:25 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

My motor stayed just above the cold mark only getting to half when running hard. Nice to see no smoke!
my idle was rock solid once I put that new carb on that blower but it was a little up and down with the old one that was on it.
Old 06-11-08, 01:55 PM
7less for now!

oil pressure sender is not hooked up running after market. at full operating temp pressure is 15psi at 3 grand its 50 at above 5 grand is jumps to about 70 Ray the lowest i can bring it down before it starts hunting is 550!
Old 06-11-08, 02:33 PM
Censored

Well 550 ain't bad for that monster and wow does it rev! Must be a rocket on the road, but maybe a little hard on gas?

Yeah let's have a low idle contest! Post up the vids! Shall we accept the stock tach reading as regulation? I think I have that idle clocked at 400 rpm on another vid.

Ben what you going to do about that 160 degree thermostat? If your cooling system is in good shape (good rad, water pump, pressurizes, etc) the stock thermostat should have no trouble tightly regulating temps at 185-190 under all running conditions. Using the 160 thermostat to keep the temps down might just be compensating for another problem that probably ought to be fixed.
Old 06-11-08, 02:45 PM
***HOMSUPP***

did I miss the part on why you have no oil pressure?
Old 06-11-08, 03:02 PM
7less for now!

Ray when i first put that thermo in the 180 unit all was well held its normal 1/3rd than i forgot to check to see if it was a bypass so i yanked it and checked and saw that it was. Well today when i went to fire it up again the temp sat at the middle of the gauge. I noticed the radiator was not hot and neither where the hose's. SO i slapped this bad boy in there. The only explanation i can think of was i had a huge air pocket in there that would not let fluid up into the thermo. When i re filled the system the other day i n noticed it all did not go back into the car. SO obviously there was a pocket of air. I am assuming since the after market thermo did not have a jiggle port the air could not vent into the hose and exit via the radiator. That is the only explanation i can think off. I must have just gotten lucky the first time i filled it and there was not huge amounts of air. SO the 160 is in there now. When i get a little more ambitious i will plop the 180 back in there but this time i will fill the system via the water neck until i see coolant where the thermo should be. When it is full in the water pump i will then install the thermo and neck. That is the only thing i can think of that could have caused the middle temp with no heat being felt via any hose or the radiator! I also boiled the thermo and it opens so for now i will use the 160 until i change it out! Other people do use the 160 thermo. I have not driven
the car on the street so it might come up more when i open her up!

All coolant components are new!

Well she sits patiently waiting for a fresh new coat of TENDER BLUE METALLIC!

Old 06-11-08, 03:23 PM
Lapping = Fapping

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ray green
Well 550 ain't bad for that monster and wow does it rev! Must be a rocket on the road, but maybe a little hard on gas?
That brings up this question for Ben. What type of flywheel do you have? I must have missed it if you already mentioned it.
Old 06-11-08, 03:50 PM
RX for fun

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Is it possible to make "chicken soup" out of "chicken shiet"....NO and thats not possible with rotaries.
Old 06-11-08, 04:02 PM
7less for now!

double post!

Last edited by yetterben; 06-11-08 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-11-08, 04:13 PM
7less for now!

well here is the deal i filled the neck plopped the old guy in there WTF it climbs to half and hoses do not get warm wtf wtf wtf this 160 does not fit in there pefect and there is a hairline crack on the side that might let the hoses get warm! but they both open i dont get it man. THis new thermo was working the other day until i pulled it and now nothing WTF here is a pic!

160 on left 180 on right i just dont get it!

Old 06-11-08, 04:35 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't you look so happy now. Throw a filter on her and give her a whilrlly and some more feedback!
Old 06-11-08, 05:36 PM
Censored

Neither one of those thermostat's are proper rotary 'stats Ben, you've got to have a jiggle pin! The one on the left needs to be in the recycle and the one on the right looks like it came from VB, OK for an MG but not good for our techno queens.

"Is it possible to make "chicken soup" out of "chicken shiet"."

Whacky, yes it is. Before:

After:

Old 06-11-08, 06:00 PM
7less for now!

ray the on the left does have a jiggle pin the one and the right is a proper by pass thermo. It looks exactly the same as a mazda one minus jiggle pin. THe only other variable is i re-used the gaskt between all teh swaps. I got two more but dont see how that would affect **** if it did not leak!
Old 06-11-08, 06:05 PM
Daily Beaten

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL @ Yetterben... you talk like a UPer der hey.

Sounds good though (the car) and it's NOT blowing ******* oil all over the place!
Old 06-11-08, 06:10 PM
Wankel Me This!!

lol i love what you said at first i played that 20 times.
Old 06-11-08, 06:25 PM
Lapping = Fapping

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts
The thermostat on the left looks like some weird european piece of garbage. The one on the right is just a crappy Stant.

This is the correct thermostat for you: http://www.atkinsrotary.com/store/pr...2&cat=0&page=1
Old 06-11-08, 07:23 PM
7less for now!

the 160 keeps it at bay i will get a stock one though i don't want anything thats gonna make me ride at the half way mark though. Strange how the stant one worked at first and still opens even but now my temps are at the half way mark. I HATE SEEING THE NEEDLE THAT FAR UP! where does everyones needle sit at? jeff i have a stock flywheel!
Old 06-11-08, 07:45 PM
weak minds wear the crown

my temp needle always sits at that second mark idk if that's where it's supposed to be, but that's where it's always been once it warms up good....if it gets halfway it usually is cuz it's overheating, been seeing that a bit with these really high temps. lately :P loved the oil quote haha....you know...kinda reminds me of peter griffin from Family Guy haha

Quick Reply: What happens when stuff works the right way!