Mountain RX-7 Forum Serving Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico

Denver, CO area tuning session May '06

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 01:28 PM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Denver, CO area tuning session May '06

Hey guys, I just got done talking w/ MikeB and Marc Monaco about heading out that way sometime in May (probably early) to do some tuning for you guys. This will be my third trip out to CO since last year. I'll be doing Haltechs and PowerFC's primarily but can do some Microtech stuff on request only (I'd need a good bit of time with an MT-powered vehicle). I have an extensive amount of experience in much of this. Here are some links to my tuning trips from last year:

http://bdc.cyberosity.com/v/Tuning/ColoradoTrip_May05/
http://bdc.cyberosity.com/v/Tuning/C...oTuning_Aug05/

My rates are $350 per car, flate-rate. That flat rate covers all street tuning time as well as any dyno time requested. I do not, however, cover the dyno operator's charge so that will be something each customer will have to square with those guys his or herself. I prefer street tuning and will bring my own equipment. I also do mechanical overview of the engine bay and setup to make sure stuff is setup properly before heading out. I will not tune a car that is in poor shape, so I would like to be ensured that whatever vehicles I work on already have a good deal of attention put into them as far as reliability goes (they can't be dangerous to drive!).

As far as how I tune, I'll do pump gas or race gas, but as some of you may know, there's a liability issue here regarding pump gas, and even though you guys are at a higher altitude and can get away with more, I tend to not tune for gobs of boost on pump gas due to its overall unreliability. I'll tune to a certain point, and then I'll leave it up to each customer the choice of taking the responsibility if he or she wants to push it further. Race gas tuning, however, is a completely different story and I tend to be fairly aggressive with that.

For those of you that I have not done any work for in the past, I'd like to get a PM or a post made here regarding your car setups as far as engine scheme, fuel system setup, EFI setup, etc. so I can get a feel of what all I'll need to be prepared for ahead of time. In any event, feel free to contact me and I'll give each and everyone of you my cell # via PM's.

"Home base" for me looks like it will be at Marc Monaco's place in Brighton. Is that too far for anyone? My schedule and location will be flexible and I can be reached on my cell during any of the time I am there. I don't expect to be too hammered with things to do (I am making sure I have plenty of days to get as much done as possible) so, atleast as it stands now, things should be flexible. Also, since this is a month ahead of schedule, I hope it will give some of you guys time enough to get whatever needs to be sorted on ya'lls cars.

Thanks a bunch and I hope to see you guys in May!

B
Old 04-04-06, 02:05 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian, nice to hear this turn of events. My name is Jason, I live in Fort Collins about an hour if you drive the speed limit from Mike's place. I have a 93 Touring with stock twins on there. I have upgraded the radiator, all hoses, and ast. and added an HKS DP. Anything reliability I have done. I have a Med Smic going in and the PFC, I am running stock injectors, but Mike gave me a fuel pump to install. I have new wires and plugs, high flow cat (rx7store.net), innovate WBO2 and AFR and an oil temp gauge. I have most of this stuff in the mail and will install that asap. So when you get here you can expect my set-up to be. HKS DP, MED SMIC, High Flow Cat, WBO2, and in awesome shape. I hope I am not forgetting anything. I definately need to be tuned, not aggresively but I want to try and get a little increase in power and performance. I was going to get tuned for 11 lbs of boost on the stock twins. I hope that gives you some heads up on my situation. BTW, I don't know if matters or not but its original engine 44,500 miles, mind condition when I bought it, modified now. Thanx and look foward to meeting you.
Old 04-04-06, 02:17 PM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

Originally Posted by sonix7
Brian, nice to hear this turn of events. My name is Jason, I live in Fort Collins about an hour if you drive the speed limit from Mike's place. I have a 93 Touring with stock twins on there. I have upgraded the radiator, all hoses, and ast. and added an HKS DP. Anything reliability I have done. I have a Med Smic going in and the PFC, I am running stock injectors, but Mike gave me a fuel pump to install. I have new wires and plugs, high flow cat (rx7store.net), innovate WBO2 and AFR and an oil temp gauge. I have most of this stuff in the mail and will install that asap. So when you get here you can expect my set-up to be. HKS DP, MED SMIC, High Flow Cat, WBO2, and in awesome shape. I hope I am not forgetting anything. I definately need to be tuned, not aggresively but I want to try and get a little increase in power and performance. I was going to get tuned for 11 lbs of boost on the stock twins. I hope that gives you some heads up on my situation. BTW, I don't know if matters or not but its original engine 44,500 miles, mind condition when I bought it, modified now. Thanx and look foward to meeting you.
Hey Jason, thanks for the interest. Your setup should be fairly easy to do; perhaps two-three hours or so. I'll do the 11psi stuff no problem; maybe even a bit more. There's alot of room to play considering the 5400ft elevation out there.

Hope to see you there,

B
Old 04-04-06, 02:26 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

yeah you definately know more about than I. I am going with your suggestions. Thanx and you will see me for sure. Thanx - J
Old 04-04-06, 02:51 PM
NRX7HVN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm at work, but I'm definitely in, I'll post my setup and goals later, give you as much information as possible...
Old 04-04-06, 10:03 PM
NRX7HVN

Question

Brian, heard alot about you, can't wait to get this puppy tuned. To give you alittle background I was previously non-seq on stock twins, tuned by Steve Kan at sea level to 340 @ 15psi, but since then I purchased the car back in 2002, never had it tuned for the altitude here. I was running really pig rich but have only put 4k miles on it since purchase. In February I started to upgrade everything and just got the car running with basically all new modifications. I have listed below the information that I thought you might need to know to see if I can reach my power goal or now.

Basically my goal is to get 430 - 500 to the wheels...I think I have done the all the supporting mods to reach this goal but you as the tuner can determine if this is possible or not. I would like to do a tune with race gas and pump... My question for you is that I want to be ready in every possible way for the tuning session and to be honest with you since I have changed everything out from my old setup, how the hell do I determine if everything is working properly or installed properly without being able to get into boost at all?? I have way too much fuel in the system obviously since I was pig rich with 850cc injectors all the way around, a new turbo and basically all new supporting mods... Any suggestions on how I can do a test to make sure everything will be ready for me to be tuned? Since I finished the car about 2 weeks ago, I went above 4k rpm's one time, I saw 5 psi on the boost gauge, but if I went any higher in the rpms when the secondaries came online, it just felt like it wanted to fall flat on it's face, and I hope this is attributed to there being too much fuel when they come on. I put the secondaries in when I still had my non-seq when I first started my new mods and same thing when I got into boost it fell flat on it's face...is this common when you drop that big of injectors in the system and aren't tuned or adjusted for it? Sorry if I'm rambling but I've done $10k in mods in the past 2 months and a whole new setup and just really no way to make sure everything is 100% ready for tuning... Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...can't wait to meet you and see what my new setup can do...

P.S.- Didn't know if this would be an issue but when A-spec tuning made my kit, they didn't put an extra bung in the downpipe, can the car be tuned with just one bung or is that going to be an issue? OH AND LAST THING, LOOKING TO RUN 20 PSI MAX...

· Reman stock motor w/4k on it
· APEX’I Power FC w/ Commander & DATALOGIT
· GARRETT T04R (.70/1.00 A/R)
· TIAL 44mm wastegate
· GREDDY 2 row FMIC
· GREDDY Profec B boost controller
· GREDDY pulleys
· A-SPEC TUNING down pipe
· RX7store.net resonated mid pipe
· APEX’I N1 catback exhaust
· DENSO 850cc primary injectors
· KG Parts 1600cc secondary injectors w/ custom fuel rail
· AEROMOTIVE fuel pressure regulator
· Apexi 3 bar map sensor
· RP Denso competition fuel pump
· MAGNECOR 10mm racing spark plug wires
· HKS Twin power w/ harness
· SUPER EARTH ground system

Last edited by mpfcc; 04-04-06 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 12:28 AM
www.mancavecolorado.com

Parastie....please sticky this....For everyone who does not know BDC...he is the one who has tuned FD's for Matt, Doug, Marc, and my car. BDC was able to get 431hp out of my car at only 15lbs even with my fuel problems....It should be interesting to see what he can do this time.....If your wondering how we got the tuning price so cheap....is Marc was generous enough to let him stay at his house which reduces cost....and we won't be using a dyno this time since the weather should be good.
Old 04-05-06, 12:29 AM
www.mancavecolorado.com

Brian.....do you install a wideband to tune in the car? If anyone doesn't want to tune on the street and would prefer to rent out the dyno at Dynopros....let me know...and I will get you some prices.
Old 04-05-06, 12:52 AM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

Originally Posted by mpfcc
Brian, heard alot about you, can't wait to get this puppy tuned. To give you alittle background I was previously non-seq on stock twins, tuned by Steve Kan at sea level to 340 @ 15psi, but since then I purchased the car back in 2002, never had it tuned for the altitude here. I was running really pig rich but have only put 4k miles on it since purchase. In February I started to upgrade everything and just got the car running with basically all new modifications. I have listed below the information that I thought you might need to know to see if I can reach my power goal or now.

Basically my goal is to get 430 - 500 to the wheels...I think I have done the all the supporting mods to reach this goal but you as the tuner can determine if this is possible or not. I would like to do a tune with race gas and pump... My question for you is that I want to be ready in every possible way for the tuning session and to be honest with you since I have changed everything out from my old setup, how the hell do I determine if everything is working properly or installed properly without being able to get into boost at all?? I have way too much fuel in the system obviously since I was pig rich with 850cc injectors all the way around, a new turbo and basically all new supporting mods... Any suggestions on how I can do a test to make sure everything will be ready for me to be tuned? Since I finished the car about 2 weeks ago, I went above 4k rpm's one time, I saw 5 psi on the boost gauge, but if I went any higher in the rpms when the secondaries came online, it just felt like it wanted to fall flat on it's face, and I hope this is attributed to there being too much fuel when they come on. I put the secondaries in when I still had my non-seq when I first started my new mods and same thing when I got into boost it fell flat on it's face...is this common when you drop that big of injectors in the system and aren't tuned or adjusted for it? Sorry if I'm rambling but I've done $10k in mods in the past 2 months and a whole new setup and just really no way to make sure everything is 100% ready for tuning... Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...can't wait to meet you and see what my new setup can do...

P.S.- Didn't know if this would be an issue but when A-spec tuning made my kit, they didn't put an extra bung in the downpipe, can the car be tuned with just one bung or is that going to be an issue? OH AND LAST THING, LOOKING TO RUN 20 PSI MAX...

· Reman stock motor w/4k on it
· APEX’I Power FC w/ Commander & DATALOGIT
· GARRETT T04R (.70/1.00 A/R)
· TIAL 44mm wastegate
· GREDDY 2 row FMIC
· GREDDY Profec B boost controller
· GREDDY pulleys
· A-SPEC TUNING down pipe
· RX7store.net resonated mid pipe
· APEX’I N1 catback exhaust
· DENSO 850cc primary injectors
· KG Parts 1600cc secondary injectors w/ custom fuel rail
· AEROMOTIVE fuel pressure regulator
· Apexi 3 bar map sensor
· RP Denso competition fuel pump
· MAGNECOR 10mm racing spark plug wires
· HKS Twin power w/ harness
· SUPER EARTH ground system
The one major thing to look at when it comes to power goals is the turbo. In this case, the turbo may hit 500 to the wheels, but it'll take some pushing out of it, and it'll be pushing it far past the limits of pump gas. That'll be a job for race gas. On the pump gas side, I'll tune this one up to about 13psi or so, assuming you're keeping the car up at higher elevation. To be honest with you, I am not sure if the PFC has any kind of barometric pressure correction or not or if the change in altitude will be significant to how the PFC runs other than its significance in charge density and effect on combustion. The other factor here that will begin to be a limiter is the fuel pump: It will top out in the high 480's to the wheels, atleast it does here down at sea level. Assuming corrections are "correct" on whatever dyno we use (if we use one while we do your car that is), then that's where it'll top out at.

With your setup, expect two different maps and bring alot of race gas with you; atleast 108 octane.

B
Old 04-05-06, 12:53 AM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

Originally Posted by MichaelB145
Brian.....do you install a wideband to tune in the car? If anyone doesn't want to tune on the street and would prefer to rent out the dyno at Dynopros....let me know...and I will get you some prices.
Yep I've got my good 'ol trusty PLX M-250 I bring with me for tuning.

B
Old 04-05-06, 06:19 AM
NRX7HVN

Yeah I've seen that the pumps maximum efficiency is about 500 to the wheels, I'd say my goal is actually 450 to the wheels, but I figured I'd throw the 500 out there lol

As for the car I will be keeping it up at elevation actually just a tad bit higher than where it'll be tuned.

13 psi on pump? I've seen 15 psi on pump, anyway that is possible to tune up to 15 psi on pump for the street and above 15 psi on race for the track?

Also any suggestions on the other stuff I mentioned, like the 1 wideband bung and also how to make sure everything is working properly?

Thanks,

Jason

Originally Posted by BDC
The one major thing to look at when it comes to power goals is the turbo. In this case, the turbo may hit 500 to the wheels, but it'll take some pushing out of it, and it'll be pushing it far past the limits of pump gas. That'll be a job for race gas. On the pump gas side, I'll tune this one up to about 13psi or so, assuming you're keeping the car up at higher elevation. To be honest with you, I am not sure if the PFC has any kind of barometric pressure correction or not or if the change in altitude will be significant to how the PFC runs other than its significance in charge density and effect on combustion. The other factor here that will begin to be a limiter is the fuel pump: It will top out in the high 480's to the wheels, atleast it does here down at sea level. Assuming corrections are "correct" on whatever dyno we use (if we use one while we do your car that is), then that's where it'll top out at.

With your setup, expect two different maps and bring alot of race gas with you; atleast 108 octane.

B
Old 04-05-06, 06:20 AM
NRX7HVN

Mike,

I'd be interested to get on a dyno so I can have some numbers to go with the tune...

Old 04-05-06, 10:46 AM
www.mancavecolorado.com

Anyone else interested in getting a dyno?
Old 04-05-06, 11:09 AM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

Yeah I've seen that the pumps maximum efficiency is about 500 to the wheels, I'd say my goal is actually 450 to the wheels, but I figured I'd throw the 500 out there lol

As for the car I will be keeping it up at elevation actually just a tad bit higher than where it'll be tuned.

13 psi on pump? I've seen 15 psi on pump, anyway that is possible to tune up to 15 psi on pump for the street and above 15 psi on race for the track?

Also any suggestions on the other stuff I mentioned, like the 1 wideband bung and also how to make sure everything is working properly?

Thanks,

Jason
We can do 15 on pump for yours as long as you're willing to accept the nominal risk involved. Granted, the higher elevation grants you guys a bit more leeway and room to play with stuff like that more than us guys down lower, but still there's a risk involved. The problem has to do with the gas that is used, specifically the octane vs. the relative heat our RE's make under load in boost (which is quite a bit). As far as race gas goes, the sky is the limit.

B
Old 04-05-06, 11:23 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Nice thanx for the explaination, I am running a mixture of pump gas and 108, about a 70/30 mixture. I would like to keep this ratio and mixture, I am so paranoid about the RON/MON of pump crack I just do that to keep the knock down hopefully? So BDC, on my stock twins still seq. what do you think is a safe boost level to tune to? I did forget to say I have intake, dp, HFCat, WB02, AFR, Med SMIC, pettit tkt exhaust (on there when I bought it) stock twins running sequential and working properly. No oil leaks, no coolant leaks. Running mobil 1 full synthetic. Mike I will also be interested in the dyno, and maybe you guys could explain why I would and wouldn't really need a dyno. Maybe a sheet saying the numbers I bet?
Old 04-05-06, 11:32 AM
www.mancavecolorado.com

It's also nice not getting a ticket! If you have a fuel pressure gauge under the hood...it's also nice to use a dyno so someone can watch it to see if it's dipping under load.
Old 04-05-06, 11:35 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

true, I forgot we aren't tuning on a track. LOL. Yeah so dyno for me for sure. Thanx man. I fixed your defroster grill and I am wrapping it. Its gonna be sweet, I think you will be impressed. Talk to you later.
Old 04-05-06, 11:39 AM
NRX7HVN

How much to carbon cover that damn driver side storage bin door, it's cracked and just needs a touch up...

As for the tune, any set date yet so I can put my leave in to get the days off..

BDC,

I only drive it once or twice a week in the summer so if you suggest only doing 13 psi on pump, I'll do that, I just have to find some 108 down here...I'm just wanting two maps in case I get stuck having to run pump and then I'll just not push the car too hard...

Also didn't know if you could suggest on checking functionality of my stuff since I can't boost?
Old 04-05-06, 12:26 PM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

Originally Posted by sonix7
Nice thanx for the explaination, I am running a mixture of pump gas and 108, about a 70/30 mixture. I would like to keep this ratio and mixture, I am so paranoid about the RON/MON of pump crack I just do that to keep the knock down hopefully? So BDC, on my stock twins still seq. what do you think is a safe boost level to tune to? I did forget to say I have intake, dp, HFCat, WB02, AFR, Med SMIC, pettit tkt exhaust (on there when I bought it) stock twins running sequential and working properly. No oil leaks, no coolant leaks. Running mobil 1 full synthetic. Mike I will also be interested in the dyno, and maybe you guys could explain why I would and wouldn't really need a dyno. Maybe a sheet saying the numbers I bet?
That's an effective octane rating of 97.5 which will be fine for that. As far as the stock twins, it seems to me it'll be to their upper limits in what they're capable of. I honestly am not sure where they run out of steam or shouldn't be run past. We can play it by ear and see what happens.

B
Old 04-05-06, 12:29 PM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

Btw, while I am thinking about it, I need everyone on BUR9EQ plugs all around so toss those 7's in the leadings in favour for 9's.

B
Old 04-05-06, 12:31 PM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

How much to carbon cover that damn driver side storage bin door, it's cracked and just needs a touch up...

As for the tune, any set date yet so I can put my leave in to get the days off..

BDC,

I only drive it once or twice a week in the summer so if you suggest only doing 13 psi on pump, I'll do that, I just have to find some 108 down here...I'm just wanting two maps in case I get stuck having to run pump and then I'll just not push the car too hard...

Also didn't know if you could suggest on checking functionality of my stuff since I can't boost?
Yep we can do two maps. What about functionality?

B
Old 04-05-06, 12:38 PM
www.mancavecolorado.com

I better turn my boost down...I've been running 16 lbs on pump gas and my wideband still shows me at 10 - 1 A/F with the fuel pressure set at 38 psi. Am I in jeopory of blowing my engine if the A/F is that low?
Old 04-05-06, 12:42 PM
www.mancavecolorado.com

One more thing, Brian.....Are you able to tune a Power FC if you don't have a data logit? My two step according to Datalogic tech support has frozen it and it's not working. Also, you remember how finicky it was in the past.
Old 04-05-06, 02:07 PM
BDC
BDC Motorsports

I better turn my boost down...I've been running 16 lbs on pump gas and my wideband still shows me at 10 - 1 A/F with the fuel pressure set at 38 psi. Am I in jeopory of blowing my engine if the A/F is that low?
That's actually horribly rich, so no I doubt it'd blow up due to "too little fuel".

B
Old 04-05-06, 02:20 PM
www.mancavecolorado.com

So would it be safe to say....I can raise the boost until I'm about 11.5 - 1 A/F? If my timing is off....is it possible that my A/F could be OK but still blow my engine?

Quick Reply: Denver, CO area tuning session May '06