3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

DIY-RE 13b DVD REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY-RE 13b DVD REVIEW

is it any good??...i think it`s very detailed and worth every penny. It shows you every detail about rebuilding the engine and has gave me enough confidence to rebuild my own. It makes me want to rip my engine out and rebuild even though nothing is wrong with it. However i was a bit concerned with the fact that he used vasoline to hold the water seals in place..he did say that if the water seal is left long enough to soak in vasoline, it would expand, but is this how the pro`s do it? I dont know but it just made me think after reading that vasoline attacks certain types of rubber. Apart from that i give it 8.5 out of 10 for the beginner. There is a lot of things that you would miss or get wrong if you did not watch
the dvd.

things i liked about it

1) Easy to understand
2) Hidden tips and advice
3) Value for money
4) Well laid out and detailed

Things that could of been improved

1) It should of stated the torque wrench settings for the oil pump and sump
2) It would of been ideal if it showed you how to remove and replace the engine
3) It would of been nice to see the engine running after the rebuild.

Overall i suppose nothing is perfect, but this is very close and a good effort imo.

Anybody else got any views about this dvd? If so then say so on here
Old 10-13-05, 11:54 AM
Call me gramps!

Where did you purchase this DVD at?
Old 10-13-05, 11:59 AM
7-Style

Dvd

Yeah where did you get the DVD???? I asked the Atkins Rotory guys at SS8 but they only have it on VHS. Oh by the way whos has got the engine remove and install video also??????
Old 10-13-05, 12:54 PM
bow leggin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you seen any of the other rebuild videos or is this the only one you have seen so far also?
Old 10-13-05, 01:08 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah where can you get these videos. I have never seen any rebuild or rotary videos so I have not even looked. I would appreciate a point in the right direction.
Old 10-13-05, 01:37 PM

Can be purchased here;
http://www.diy-re.co.nz/
Old 10-13-05, 01:44 PM
Insane Burnout

edit: ^^ nvm, he beat me to it

Last edited by ROTORhead93; 10-13-05 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 01:49 PM

I got the R&R and rebuild DVDs from rotary aviation.
Old 10-13-05, 04:40 PM
What's an RX-7 ?

I was thinking of ordering the RA DVDs too. Also, I've seen people use vaseline to hold tip seals and side seals in place while dropping them in the housing. But I thought Hylomar (sp?) was used to hold coolant seals in place.
Old 10-13-05, 05:18 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TwinTriangles
I was thinking of ordering the RA DVDs too. Also, I've seen people use vaseline to hold tip seals and side seals in place while dropping them in the housing. But I thought Hylomar (sp?) was used to hold coolant seals in place.
Mazda specifically recommends the use of Vaseline, but Crisco is also very common (and what we use). Hylomar sucks for this...yes, it sticks very well, but hope to God you never have to rebuild the engine ever again (nasty stuff).

--
Blake Qualley
Pineapple Racing
Old 11-25-05, 03:45 AM
Rotaryart

He bought the dvd set from here http://www.diy-re.uk.com/ We also sell Royal Purple oils and we recommend there assembly lube "Max Tuff" http://www.rotaryart.uk.com/acatalog...otor_oils.html
We have a group buy going on at no-pistons http://www.nopistons.com/forums/inde...ic=55286&st=50
Old 11-25-05, 10:31 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

so do the dvd's go step by step... like pulling the engine out of the car etc... or does it jump right to the bare motor out of the car?
Old 11-25-05, 10:42 AM

read my first post
Old 11-27-05, 08:28 PM
Rotaryart

It assumes you have the basic knowledge of how to get the engine out. DVD concentrates purely on the rebuild.
Old 12-01-05, 09:30 PM
In the burnout box...

i want this so bad! so curious... any place to find it in the us?
Old 12-01-05, 09:53 PM
Rotary Freak

There's a ad that at the top of the thread and forum pages from time to time with this DVD.... I'm surprised more people haven't seen it. And yes, alot of rotary shops use Vaseline to keep seals together. I have the Atkins video and that's what they use.
Old 12-02-05, 04:12 PM
In the burnout box...

yeah i know we've all seen that... they are in new zeland not the us. i wanted it sourced in the us
Old 12-02-05, 04:47 PM

Most people in the rotary world know the shocking reputation of this crook from 3rotor.com.

Be very careful handing out your money & dont be surprised if the product never arrives. Too many people in Australia & NZ still want his blood after years of con-man tricks & scams he pulled.

Only met him once or twice before he did a runner to NZ to escape authorities but the stories I have heard from people would shock you........

Just be careful, thats all I can say....
Old 12-02-05, 08:42 PM
In the burnout box...

lol ok so new plan anyone that has these videos i'll send you 35 for burned ones... seriously i want these videos!
Old 12-03-05, 04:09 AM
always modding

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
time for Divx
Old 12-03-05, 10:46 AM
Urban Combat Vet

Received 875 Likes on 617 Posts
In case anyone is interested:

http://www.rotaryaviation.com/R%20R%20Video.htm
^R & R the motor
http://www.rotaryaviation.com/overhaul_video.htm
^Overhaul
Old 12-06-05, 06:32 AM
Rotaryart

Im totally independent from NZ, you can buy from me at http://www.diy-re.uk.com/ 105 dollars inc delivery.
No one is set up in USA at the moment.
Old 12-06-05, 02:10 PM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,509 Posts
OK, time for an actual review. I bought the DVD set on the group buy and split shipping with another forum member (shipping was QUITE a bit, but it was FedEx, and I got it quick).

I've built about 20 motors, have watched the Bruce Turrentine video, yada yada. I wanted the video to learn a few new tricks, and because 4 DVD's should cover the topic in depth.

Well, unfortunately, I was disappointed. Will you learn how a motor is built? Yes. Will you learn everything you need to know? Nope. They build a NEW motor - ALL NEW parts used, which is cool. Except it's not very real-world - they barely cover how to spec used parts to see if you can reuse them. Also, VERY little time is spent in how to clean parts, which is a big deal. They show how to clean the packing oil off a brand-new rotor - big deal, that's easy, getting baked-on carbon off is the hard part .

The biggest thing the video needed was better editing and camera work. There's a number of times when they're discussing something, and the camera is pointed at the guys, not pointed at the part they're handling or the technique they're trying to show. Also, many times a close-up was needed to clearly show something but was skipped.

Editing. How would you like to watch someone clearance a side seal for 15 minutes? Yes, it's something that you need to learn, but for the love of god edit that crap down! Dude would file it down on a stone, test for fit, file again, for like 15 minutes. Then he started on the next side seal! Ack!

The general video quality was good, though - the picture was VERY crisp. When they did actually do a close-up, it looked great and you could see what they talked about.

Oh, the actual video content is pretty small - I think one DVD was a bit over an hour, but most were 30-40 minutes.

I think some of my disappointment stems from expectations. When you see 4 whole DVD's devoted to just rebuilding, you think it's gonna be hours of footage that are packed with information. Not the case. When you pay $100 for it, you think you're gonna get a top-quality production. Not the case.

I'd give it a 4 out of 10. If you really are interested in building a motor yourself, I'd get the Bruce Turrentine video for $25. It's MUCH cheaper, covers a lot of the same ground, etc. It's a bit rough, but for $25 that's OK by me. For a $100 4 DVD set, I'd expect a lot more.

Dale
Old 12-06-05, 05:23 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
You know, I've thought about this and dismissed it as many times, but if I had someone knowledgeable in these things, with the proper equipment and production channels, I would make a run of videos. One for each model from 86-95. It would focus on rebuilding an existing used engine, not one out of all new in box parts. It would show how to remove the engine, tear it down (while keeping track of where everything goes easily), tear the block down, visual and physical inspection of parts, show what seals are worn versus new, which ones are not, how to decide what is and is not reuseable, the differences in varying stock and aftermarket seals and parts, what stuff to order etc. How to clean all your old engine internals, lay everything out, begin reassembly of the block and accessories, and reinstallation. IT would focus on a stock setup, but note would be made along the way of popular and/or necessary modifications made for power and reliability such as porting, 3mm seals ,emissions removal, simplified sequential, hose job, nonsequential, single turbo, etc.

Sadly, I don't know anyone locally with this expertise or I might just pursue it. Either that, or a manual similar to an fsm or haynes with lots of pics, plus a list of acronyms and terminology and definitions for those that will be used through out the book.

I'm not sure if it would actually be worthwhile given the cheap nature of most rx7 owners, and how everyone wants to be spoon fed every last bit of information. I'd no doubt have people complaining about not being able to understand my southern country accent, too.

I'd also wonder if I might actually be doing more of a dis-service to the community than a help. As with anything, there are those that are not mechanically inclined, but due to reading misinformation or misguided posts on this and other forums on the internet they get the seed of an idea in their head that they can work one one of the more complex engines in any car worldwide with no experience at all. I deal with some of these types all the time. The type that have to ask how to install brake pads, but think that rebuilding a rotary is so simple and not a problem at all. So these people would buy my video/manual and would proceed to screw everything up and then blame it on me.

When you stand back and look at it, comparing the time and investment required versus the investment return and the liability/bashing that comes along with releasing a product publicly, it almost seems not worthwhile to help out.
Old 12-06-05, 05:57 PM
Urban Combat Vet

Received 875 Likes on 617 Posts
I'm one of those guys who will likely NEVER rebuild one of these motors. Still, I just bought and have started watching the RA/Turentine video on rebuilding. Probably get the Engine R & R video too. Hopefully when the time comes, I'll have at least a basis for intelligent discussion with the rebuilder. I'm able (and enjoy) doing my own maintanance and minor repairs, but make no mistake, I know my limitaions.

And Kevin, those are some good ideas. If you made a video, I'd buy it. I've heard accents before. I just wish Morristown was a bit closer to me.

Quick Reply: DIY-RE 13b DVD REVIEW