Rotary Car Performance General Rotary Car and Engine modification discussions.

Kaaz break-in

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 04:24 PM
Adrenaline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Kaaz break-in

I have the Kaaz LSD and want to know the proper way to break it in. My LSD makes way too much noise, and it's a pain in the *** to take turns; clunks too much. Also, I'm using the Kaaz gear oil and plan on already changing it at 500 miles. Please help.
Old 11-19-02, 05:08 PM
STUCK. I got SNOWNED!!!!!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the proper break-in procedure is to drive in a figure 8 for 30 minutes.

BUT
I'm not 100% sure, so dont' yell at me if your car explodes/catches fire/goes missing/whatever
Old 11-19-02, 05:35 PM

Terrh is right you have to drive in figure 8's for a half hour but you have to put the car in neutral in some parts and certain speeds in other parts of the figure 8. if you go to kaazusa.com you can download a pic and instructions also you should change your diff fluid after the break in.
Old 11-19-02, 09:56 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

what the f**k!!! 30 minutes??? what if you dont. Wait, whats the difference between a figure 8 than a 360??? Is there anything called a "break" in that 30 mins??? i get really nozzyated when doing 2 circles in a row.
Old 11-20-02, 05:32 AM
Adrenaline

I did the figure 8's last week and it didn't help at all. I just ended up feeling like **** and it's so boring.
Old 11-20-02, 10:20 AM
Just Call Me Terminator!

i have a re amemiya diff. i drove mine normal about 20 miles. then i went to parking for a few mins and did figure 8's . i get occasional funny noises but i think its mostly from the my 6puck clutch disk. its completely bearable....
Old 11-20-02, 03:34 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

whats the difference between a kaaz 1.5 way and the RE??? I dont see why you have to do figure 8s. Does the kaaz make funny noices when its 1st installed??? Is the RE better than the kaaz?? chris@RP claims that the kaaz unit is almost unbreakable, they told me that they havent broken there yet, but I know that they have been running into some drivetrian probs lately.
Old 11-20-02, 04:53 PM
Living life 9 seconds at a time

Jay,
I copied this from the Kaaz website. Hope it helps you. My Kaaz feels just like butter. You probably need more miles on it.

Why is break-in important?

When the L.S.D. comes out of the factory, it has been thoroughly washed, but some iron dust and dirt particles may still exist in between the clutch plates. The clutch plates do not fit perfectly from the very beginning, therefore this causes some jumping effect. Applying too much torque when the unit is new will cause damage to the clutch plates and may result in plates forming an angle fit. Once these plates forms an angle fit, the L.S.D. is unable to function at 100% efficiency. Damaging the clutch plates will decrease it’s lifetime.

When the break in is done properly and the clutch plates form a perfect fit, not only the L.S.D. can be functioning at 100% efficiency but the lifetime of the unit will be longer than expected. Just like fitting a new brake pads, if you floor the brake pedal right away the brake pad’s ability to stop the car will decrease. Therefore, you have to let the brake pads and the brake disc rub and form a good fit before hard use. L.S.D. is the same way, initial form fitting is very important.

Information about the break in is found in the instruction booklet that comes with each unit. Every manufacturer of L.S.D. has their own way of break in procedures. Please follow the instructions that come with each unit. After the initial break in procedure, L.S.D. oil must be changed. Check the oil drained after the break in, you will find lots of iron grains from the friction of the plates rubbing to form a good fit. You can then visually see the importance of the break in and oil change.
Old 11-20-02, 11:53 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

dumb ??? but what is a figure 8?? is it a 8??? I cant remember since i quit figure skating 2 years ago. haha kidn
Old 11-21-02, 01:00 AM
RX-Parts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ernie, are you saying that your Kazz is completels silent? no clunking at all? like a stock diff?

if so, i'm gonna buy a kazz and pay you to install it and beeak it in , cuz i dont know ANYBODY with a kazz that dosent clunk. i thought it was just a normal side effect...

Originally posted by ErnieT
Jay,
I copied this from the Kaaz website. Hope it helps you. My Kaaz feels just like butter. You probably need more miles on it.
Old 11-21-02, 04:49 PM
Living life 9 seconds at a time

Originally posted by SPEED_NYC
Ernie, are you saying that your Kazz is completels silent? no clunking at all? like a stock diff?

if so, i'm gonna buy a kazz and pay you to install it and beeak it in , cuz i dont know ANYBODY with a kazz that dosent clunk. i thought it was just a normal side effect...

At first, yes it chattered like hell. After about 750 miles, fluid change, all was well. Yes, like stock. Once in a while I get a little clunk, but thats a combination of my clutch too. I have the ACT 6puck.
Old 11-21-02, 09:55 PM
Adrenaline

Ernie...thanks for all your help. I'm already going to change the gear oil tomorrow morning and see if it helps. I guess I just have to keep on driving it so it can get better.
Old 12-02-02, 12:34 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figure 8s. you do a right hand circle, then turn into a left hand circle. itll end up as a figure 8.
I suppose it gives equal left turn and right turn time. doing circles would only give you either all right hand turns or all left hand turns.