2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Experienced rebuilders question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-01, 04:32 PM
HAILERS

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Experienced rebuilders question

The apex seals come with a triangular end piece. Usually this piece is adhered to the apex seal as if it were one part. When shoving the apex seal springs under the apex seal during assy, sometimes this triangular end piece seperates. What do you do at this moment. I had been quickly attaching it to the apex seal with eastman 910. Today I learned to never ever, ever, ever, ever do this again. What do YOU do?
Old 08-18-01, 07:26 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is a very tricky balancing act as the new ones seperate when you torque the motor together( i know you know this). listen for the snapping sound. my engine builder has tried super glue but normally balances all the parts together. it takes alot of patience and a steady hand, but it can be done. try a small amount of supe glue and experiment a little and make sure they seperate. good luck
Old 08-18-01, 07:38 PM
HAILERS

Thanks for the response Tims. I'm going to do a lot of experimenting. I took apart an engine I built two years ago(corroded seal wall broke down) and three of the seals were still glued together. Says a lot for eastman 910, but I wish they had not. Maybe Elmers glue. I hesitate to try to put it together with those triangular pieces loose and just waiting for a chance to jump where they don't belong. Maybe I'm paranoid.
Old 08-18-01, 11:16 PM
HAILERS

DR SWITCH.....Thank you too. The part about the little thing just jumping out and getting lost is what scares the beegees out of me. Here you have a thousand bucks in parts and if that little part gets in there wrong, can cost you another thousand if it destroys the housing plus other parts. But you have answered my question to some extent. Its normal to take that chance is the conclusion I come to. Still can't get over those triangular parts still being glued to the apex seal after maybe thirty thousand miles. I would have bet a hundred bucks that just the heat would have broken them loose. Unbelieveable. Seems rebuilding is for gamblers. You ever go to Vegas?