2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

New engine smoking... Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine smoking... Questions

Ok.. I had my rebuilt engine put in... and it smoked a lot (expected) and it was pure white.. and TONS ... Shouldn't it be grey or darker?

I used assembly lube in the engine... and some oil...

Well... It didn't stop smoking after about 20 mins... I drove it around the block haha

Well I opened it up thinking I pinched a water seal, and No water seals were pinched or anything, they were perfectly fine... BUT! I did notice that some of my oil seals were put in upside down! (guess I forgot to double check that stuff..)

COULD that be the cause of the smoke? would it be white?

I checked my housings for cracks, didn't see any, but I wish I could have triple checked!!!!

after I get a new thrust bearing, I'm putting it back in and we can try again!! I'll keep ya informed
Thanks a lot!
Old 08-09-01, 01:28 AM

wow!!! last time i saw an rx7 smoke that bad was when someone used atf. sorry cant help u. good luck though
Old 08-11-01, 12:26 AM
HAILERS

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I've rebuilt five. They all smoked just like the picture because I use liberal amounts of oil and vaseline in the construction. Last one I literaly could not see across the street. It usually burns down to a whisp in forty five minutes. Its always white just like the picture.What oil seal are you talking about? The oil control seals on the sides of the rotors? Then I see why it smoked.All five have turned out good. The smoke, each and every time, has had me thinking that *now I've screwed up bigtime*. Lotta dough tied up in making a mistake.
Old 08-11-01, 12:39 AM

Thank you soo much man!! you have totally made me feel much!!!! much better haha.... If yours smoked white like that too... Everyone I know told me that it should be grey or black... But I am glad I opened it back up again...

we had 3 oil control rings on the sides of the rotors on backwards! =( Don't ask... I didn't check those when we put them on DOH , ALSO I pinched my thrust bearing... I read a TON about it and was warned soo much , and Stupid me went ahead and did that... Chewed up the plate too,, But I got the new parts, have the engine rebuilt.. and am putting it in tommorow..

Going to pull it a little away from the houses, so the smoke doesn't bother my neighbors too much... and see what happens...

Thanks a TON
Old 08-11-01, 12:16 PM

Oil Rings

I know they are expensive, but you probably ruined your oil control o rings. I would replace them if it were my engine.

Make absolutely sure you install the springs under the oil seal rings correctly. They are directional. Putting them in wrong will cause the oil control ring to remain stationary instead of turning with the rotor. This will burn the o rings in a very short time.

When the springs are new they are color coded to indicate their position. This paint is usually gone when you get around to a rebuild.

You will notice the springs have a rounded tab and a square tab. The rounded tab always goes into a notch in the rotor. The square tab always goes into a notch in the oil control ring. The tabs also point in different directions. Sort all the springs out and look at them. You will see that half the springs have the square notch pointing to the left and half have them pointing to the right.

Check out the factory manual if you have one and you will see what am refering to.

Old 08-11-01, 07:35 PM
HAILERS

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
In your case the smoke would probably never have gone away, but you know that. It was indeed a good thing that you tore it back apart. I can almost guarantee that when you start it up the next time it will smoke for a while until the residue oil in the cat and exaust pipe get hot enough to burn off. Stick to it. You'll have it going great before you know it. White smoke. Yes indeed.Oil.Been there and done it too many times.
Old 08-12-01, 12:45 AM

UPDATE***

We put her back in, and turned it over and BAM started up, and smoked SOO MUCH LESS than before, and this time it WAS more greyish ... =) Then after about 35 mins it was barely at all...

It seems to drive ok and is pretty smooth!!! WOOP I think it will be ok =)

OH but my idle is sucking... it goes up and down like from 1200-1500 RPM... and if I try to hold it at 3000 RPM with my foot on the gas, it goes up and down from like 2900-3200 RPMS... I checked the TPS and I think that is ok... OH I did , however, break a sensor when rebuilding =) (it's me, surpsrised I didn't break too much more) It is on the back of the water pump, Green plugin.. I think it is called the water Thermo Sensor? Can anyone tell me what this does? AND would it be causing my wierd idle? or anything that COULD be causing my idle? THANKS A LOT guys!!!